• This topic has 5 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by mjb.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Campsite recommendations
  • mjb

Just thinking about summer trips and was wondering if anyone could recommend some good campsites for kids (3 1/2 year old)? To give you an idea of what we’re after our current favourite is Beddgelert. It’s in the woods with a few streams so lots of things to poke and explore, there’s a river to dam, swim, throws stones in, there’s easy trails nearby for balance bike rides, more adventurous walks and several beaches are within easy reach. Best of all the Welsh Highland steam railway passes by and there’s a station on the site!

As for location, anywhere but the south east I guess.

I seem to remember seeing an interesting looking one in Eskdale but can’t remember the name.

joff69
    Free Member

We stay at the Old Post Office campsite at Santon Bridge at the end of Wastwater.
    River runs down the side of the site, theres a river walk down the side of the site, Pub on other side of the river. Ravenglass railway is 1.5miles away( Irton Road station). Nice river walk from Irton Road station to Boot at the other end of the ravenglass railway. Plenty of walks around wastwater inc scafell pike.

Campsite is a bit basic, toilet block, laundry room and thats pretty much it, have got electric hookup.

TomB

Fisherground is a fun place to stay in eskdale. Adventure playground from the days before h+s, stream, laal ratty railway stops at the campsite, fire pits for each pitch, lovely valley. Not sure about balance biking options outside the campsite.

mjb

Thanks joff69, added that on to my list, haven’t been Wastwater in years. Don’t mind basic its often better than those with all the bells and whistles but a list of rules and regulations to go with them.

Fisherground that’s the place I was looking for, cheers.

singlespeedstu

There’s a fantastic camp site in Rhyader
    A short walk into town, a river running through the site, a cycle/walking path up to the Elan Valley visitor center/ loads of pubs and some fantastic trails on the surrounding hills.
    Always loads of familys/ mountainbikes/walkers/ cycle tourers on the site.

Elan Valley by multispeedstu, on Flickr

Elan Valley by multispeedstu, on Flickr

mjb

Cheers Stu, mid Wales was on our list of places to go this summer so that’s a good one to know, although looking at those pics I think I should leave the kids at home and take the bike!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Campsite recommendations’ is closed to new replies.