Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Campsite recommendation…
  • david47
    Free Member

Looking for a campsite near a beech and near a good, flat cycle path suitable for 6 year old kids, like the old rail bed that is the tarka trail… But we’ve cycled that! Any one got any inspired ideas ? South of the Lake district preferably…

jam-bo

atlantic view, portcothan. five minute walk through the fields down to porthcothan beach and lagoon.

not far to the camel trail from padstow to bodmin.

carlosg
    Free Member

Or in the same vicinity ‘old macdonalds farm’ petting far with small 50 pitch campsite attached. Pony rides/small gauge train , feed the animals on a morning . My boys 4/10 love the place.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Don’t know about the lakes but there is the Mawddach Trail (old railway line) just a ride/walk over from Barmouth along the Mawddach River to Dolgellau past the RSPB centre at Penmaeneuchaf (sp?). Basic facilities yet lovely views from campsite at Arthog (Garth y Fog) just over the lane from the trail. Lots of beach on hand. Cader Idris. Fairbourne mini/kids train long the beach. Cregennen Lakes, oh, and the George III bar which serves very good ale and food looking out over the Estuary.

Am watching this thread with interest as we’re looking for similar trails for (hopefully) later in the year.

Thinking about it – Garth y Fog is very basic for family camping, just a field, toilets, shower with coin meter,

There is also http://www.graigwen.co.uk/snowdonia-camp-site.php have a look there.

http://www.mawddachtrail.co.uk/mawddach-trail.html

JefWachowchow
    Free Member

Just come back from a weekend at Scott’s Farm campsite in East Wittering.
    It was big, bust but not packed. Not really my idea of the perfect site but handy for the beach and a stroll along to West Wittering easily done with a 3 year old and 6 month.

I didn’t take my bike bit noticed loads of family riding around. A quick search reveals a few on Map my Ride with elevation that would be child friendly.

http://www.mapmyride.com/gb/east-wittering-eng/

brassneck

Burnbake in Dorset? Lots to do around about for everyone and about 3/4 miles of flat fire roads to Studland beach. Needs a slightly unpleasant road leg of a few hundred yards, but can be clear if you time it right (the other end of the road is where the chain ferry unloads, and some people seem to think there is a qualifying time to get to Swanage).

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

*Erratum: George III is at Penmaenpool. (Dreams made of perfect salmon washed down with pints of Purple Moose Snowdonia ale)

david47
    Free Member

A Strava segment on the chain ferry ? words fail me…
    But thanks for the suggestions, looks like there are enough interesting ideas for the next few years…
    In wales for a long weekend with the family on the gower peninsula in a few weeks (so I can sneak off to BPW) so will look to the welsh suggestions next year…
    Like the idea of Cornwall, not been down there for a few summers….
    But then again east/west wittering could be a winner…

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Campsite recommendation…’ is closed to new replies.