Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Camping/climbing in Iceland in late-Jan-Feb – tips and gear recommendations?
  • jhw
    Free Member

Going climbing in Iceland around this time.

Temperature looks to be between -5 and 5, warmed by the gulfstream.

I need to procure all camping gear (never done anything this cold before) – can anyone recommend a tent and sleeping bag? And even other stuff like jetboil etc. I’m not completely clueless on this but very keen to hear what you all use.

If anyone knows anywhere cheap I could land a set of Petzl quarks and a belay jacket too, that would be great…

Has anyone been? Got any tips?

It looks buff:

http://www.up-climbing.com/en/contributions/mountaineering/iceland

nedrapier

exped downmat or thermarest neo-air, with a closed cell roll mat underneath if you’re camping on snow.

Puffy pants for the evening, ME cirrus or something. Down booties with a rubberised sole

North Face VE25 is comfy for 2 for a couple of weeks and solid in high winds.

Good headtorch and a spare or 2! 7 hour days in early feb?

I got a MEC Asgard sleeping bag when the excahnge rate was better. lighter options around, I guess.

nedrapier

How long will you be actually camping for?

Here’s a thread I started on another forum about drying boots and snow camping. There’s LOTS in there about drying boots, which you might want to skip past, or not! Plenty of sound advice about snow camping in general, though.

http://splitboard.com/talk/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=9278&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

stoves: MSR dragonfly have been used on expeditions for years. Dependable and plenty heaty.

And I’d hope it’s going to be a good slice colder than 0 degrees C if you’re going ice climbing!

Edit: try ukclimbing forums for barely-used kit. I got a worn once pair of ME cirrus insulated trousers for £35, friend got a professionally cleaned -20 Mtn. Hardware bag for £85.

worth putting a WTD post on there if you’ve decided on a couple of possibilities. you neveer know!

thebunk

* turned a green shade of envy + favourited *

alexxx
    Free Member
    grum
    Free Member

I wouldn’t bother taking an ice axe, they’re only really suitable for use in London street markets. 😛

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Camping/climbing in Iceland in late-Jan-Feb – tips and gear recommendations?’ is closed to new replies.