Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • camping with bikes
  • coma2s
    Free Member

So me and my mate are going to be doing some trail centres around wales in a couple of months and instead of driving back we will just camp, my question is what do others do with their bikes on a night, kip in the tent with them? leave them in the car? basically what the chance of some scum bag making off with them while sleeping/ eating in the pub etc.

Your experiences please

Nicknoxx
    Free Member

Get two of these and put a chain through both (and your bikes).

http://www.towsure.com/images/products/1265/detail/metal-screwin-dog-lead-stake.jpg

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

If I am concerned I tie the bike to a guy rope on the tent. However if youa re going to have cars with you why not lock them in the cars?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    hopkinsgm

…or if locking them *in* the car is too much hassle, you could always lock them *to* the towing eye of the car

spooky_b329

In the car. Chances are you will be woken up before anyone manages to get the bike out of the car, especially if you deadlock it.

wwaswas

I used to run a chain through the alloy wheel on my car but the two ground anchor thing is good – you cant undo two at once.

faz083
    Free Member

well, you can. If there’s two of you.

The ground anchor looks poor. It’s like taking your own lampost into the city, they can just take it out and take the bikes off.

Chain them to the car, but I would put them inside with a dust sheet over.

br
    Free Member

tbh We lock them together with a chain/U-Lock and then wire-rope them around the largest tree.

The problem with leaving/attaching to the car is that they may damage the car to get them.

Although we once backed up with the bikes on the rack, and locked them to a lamp-post.

glenh
    Free Member

old but good

ji
    Free Member

Get a cheap shed alarm – battery powered and motion sensitive. anyone who messes with the bikes will wake you up pretty quickly.

markwalker
    Free Member

were off to mid wales begining of june for a week, we always leave them in the vechicles most cars have alarms,a good chain will be good

stratman
    Free Member

I’ve got a Thule towbar rack with locking nuts, which also locks onto the towbar. You could back this up with an additional lock.

Gribs

Leave them in the car. Left on the outside, even if chained up, bits can still be easily pinched.

mau00149
    Free Member

Rape alarm (hidden) with some fishing line tied to the bike and conected to the pull out pin

coma2s
    Free Member

There will only be 1 car and after reading your replys I suppose with our camping gear out of the car they will be safe enought in the car with a chain round them, like the idea of the shed alarm as there is no alarm on the car.

slowoldgit
    Free Member

Locked with a cable through a front wheel wishbone. Which might also hinder someone nicking the car.

coma2s
    Free Member

Oh yes, good idea those personel attack alarms cheap and loud

wwaswas

The ground anchor looks poor. It’s like taking your own lampost into the city, they can just take it out and take the bikes off.

that’s why you use two – they’re impossible to ‘undo’ when locked together and they go a long way into the ground so can’t be lifted out – – you don’t see many lamposts taken out the ground to nick bikes?

cardiff
    Free Member

If you go to Cwmcarn (there is a campsite there) there are individual lockers for your bikes to cover this.

mattrgee
    Free Member

Either put them in the car or lock them to the car.

Alphabet

We just leave ours in the car. The car has an alarm.

mugsys_m8

I don’t know what to make of this. On the one hand it saddens me to think that it has come to this when someone feels the need to ask the question.I don’t deny that thefts can/ do occur. Yet on the other side isn’t it just something that doesn’t need worrying about,we go in the great outdoors to forget daily stress.

For what it’s worth, when on a quick bike trip and when we had our berlingo van we would sleep inside and cable lock bikes to towing loop.
    When we got rid of van (or on longer trip, in a campsite etc) an would be in a tent and the bikes in the car or left outside, sometimes locked, sometimes not.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘camping with bikes’ is closed to new replies.