Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Camping. With a tv, why?
  • wrightyson
    Free Member

So you go camping but you bring your tv, what the bloody hell is that about? I just can’t see the point. Big outdoors? Nah we’ll sit in and watch tumble!

Drac

Some people sit and browse the internet whilst camping. What’s all that about?

Spin
    Free Member

I saw a family camping with a deep fat fryer in Llangollen.

squirrelking
    Free Member

That all? We saw the satellite dishes getting rigged up when we were away. Seriously wonder why some people bother…

RaveyDavey
    Free Member

To keep the sprogs happy innit

AdamW
    Free Member

This is why I don’t go camping during summer months. Noise until 4am, unless you’re wild camping.

There is one campsite in Keswick though that has laser-guided turrets for noise though – Castlerigg Campsite where if you make noise after 10pm or 10:30pm they will actually throw you off site. I’ve actually seen it happen!

If yer sprogs can’t do without Dr Who for a Saturday then don’t take them camping or teach them to wait until they see it on the PVR at home!

wanmankylung
    Free Member

Why not?

What about folk taking the kitchen sink in caravans and campervans?

Why bother?

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

They couldn’t afford a hotel?

Maybe in this recession not everyone who goes camping simply to ‘get away from it’ and enjoy nature? Having grown up in the 70’s I remember camping was the only holiday available to many so-called working class families. my folks used to borrow a tent so we could get a holiday.* It got me hooked on camping. Like many here, I really enjoy camping, as does OH, we take an ***electronic tablet computing and entertainment device*** and sometimes watch films while the rain patters down outside on the fabric – headphone socket splitter, popcorn, tealight lanterns, lush!

Still, use kindling and storm kettle for breakfast tho…and not even as punishment for having an entertainment device!

Actually If someone was listening to their TV via speakers, in a tent next to us , I’d probably go full Keith Pratt…

*Edited for extra Hovis!

[video]http://youtu.be/WCzKOYUvD3E[/video]

slowoldman

There is one campsite in Keswick though that has laser-guided turrets for noise though – Castlerigg Campsite where if you make noise after 10pm or 10:30pm they will actually throw you off site. I’ve actually seen it happen!

Thanks for that. I’ll make for it next time I’m going to the lakes.

seosamh77
    Free Member

Each to their own, some people aren’t trying to kid themselves that they could survive a month in the Alaskan wilderness with a rusty spoon.

Drac

Maybe in this recession not everyone who goes camping simply to ‘get away from it’ and enjoy nature? Having grown up in the 70’s I remember camping was the only holiday available to many working classes. I like camping, Mrs MR does too, we take an electronic tablet computing and entertainment device and sometimes watch films when the rain patters down on the fabric – headphone socket splitter, popcorn, tealight lanterns, lush!

Now with added theme music.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Mq59ykPnAE[/video]

slowoldman

Each to their own, some people aren’t trying to kid themselves that they could survive a month in the Alaskan wilderness with a rusty spoon.

Of course and camping does offer a lot to families who can’t afford to go away otherwise. Just keep the noise down at night folks – canvas is thin.

ElShalimo

AdamW – I’ve been there Castlerigg Farm. Nice location but zero tolerance for anyone who sneezes out of hours.
    More like open prison than a campsite

jon1973
    Free Member

Why do people get so precious and condescending about what other people get up to on holiday? I just can’t see the point.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

jon1973 – Member
    Why do people get so precious and condescending about what other people get up to on holiday? I just can’t see the point.

Because otherwise you would have to get out of your tent and go and have a word about their TV being on loud. Instead you can come in here and bemone “common people” bringing TV’s on holiday 😉

househusband

It does annoy me to see so many car engines running at campsites… only to charge all these devices we have these days!

djglover
    Free Member

We used to take a black and white tv and hook it up to 12v in the early 80s

Of course don’t need to bother with the tv now as just download Iplayer etc to the tablet.

Funny how you are judging those who use one screen from another! Hypocrite!

wrightyson
    Free Member

Yes having a quick flick on my phone whilst the tribe are still asleep is very hypocritical I know. I must say tho I don’t worry what others do on holiday, i just thought it was odd to come “camping” and then sit in a tent with satellite dish and tv ariel rigged up and not actually do anything whilst you’re here.
    Each to their own as they say.

MoreCashThanDash

Tent next to ours had a telly during the Olympics 🙄

Which was ace on Super Saturday! 😳

honeybadgerx

The more people that spend their camping holidays sat by their tent watching telly and only going to the local shops the better – keeps the hills quieter!

Bimbler
    Free Member

Camping. With a tv, why?

Because people like different things? Some of the people who I’ve seen with TVs camping seem to be the kind of people who camp 20 times a year.

zokes
    Free Member

slowoldman – Member

Thanks for that. I’ll make for it next time I’m going to the lakes.[/quote]

Aye, it’s a good spot, and just about within stumbling distance of the pubs of Keswick

GrahamS

We came back to our tent on Saturday about 11pm after the Kirkcudbright Tattoo.

Aware there were lots of other families with young kids, we crawled the car in on the parking lights and snuck into our tent as quietly as possible.

But we needn’t have bothered, because as it turned out the other kids were still running about and shouting at each other outside our tent till at least 1am. 👿

laser-guided turrets sound pretty good. Are they armed? 😀

jekkyl

There is though a breed of camping family who are completely oblivious to the noise they make. The whole family are loud; mum, dad and 2 kids go around shouting every communication whilst the rest of us go about in hushed tones acutely aware that responsible campers remain as quiet as physically possible. Funny someone should mention nuts in may, whenever we moan to each other about a family’s noise we quote
    ‘Look you’re in a tent, I’m in a tent, I CAN HEAR EVERYWORD YOU’RE SAYING’

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Here in Sweden camping is a very strange thing indeed. There are designated cmapsites where people book a pitch for the whole of july (when most people have the month off) and they , for want of a better phrase, move in.

They bring microwaves, TV’s, little solar powered lamps to light the path to the tent door. I’ve seen people set up little picket fences around their pitch, and I’m not joking, some people mow the grass around the tent once a week.

It is fascinating to see. Will try to find some pictures

GrahamS

Those people exist in the UK too – they just go a step further and have static caravans instead of tents.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

We were camping at a race and after everyone was trying to get to sleep there was one lot left who were discussing the entire day at daytime volumes…. a shout of “Have you noticed everyone else has shut the **** up” seemed to work

takisawa2

I once complained to a noisy family in my boxers one night.
    And to cap it off, our Westie escaped & shat right outside their tent door. 🙂

They apologised next day. (Was their first time camping…).
    They had been to Argos & bought the package deal…tent, sleeping bags, table. cooker etc.
    They neglected to buy a reg for the cooker though, so we made them a couple of brews to cheer them up next morning.

We take a laptop in the caravan, for the kids to watch a dvd if it’s wet etc.

I’ve seen folk with a Dyson in the awning a few times.

olddog

I guess a lot of people see camping as way of going away on holiday but cheaper than an apartment/cottage/chalet – and so watching TV, reading, playing footie, having a few beers around the BBQ etc like on any other holiday seems normal?

I’ve spent a lot of time of campsites – months and months – mainly in France and Spain. France, in particular, people go away for 6 weeks plus over the summer – so tend have pretty organised pitches with separate cooking tents, TVs etc as it is effect their home. Perhaps because of this there seems to be a generally more chilled vibe and village type atmosphere on the sites and much more tolerance. On British sites I’ve often found people to be wary and standoffish.

maxtorque

So you don’t miss Breaking Bad, Fargo, Downton Abbey, The shield (delete as appropriate) init 😉

Gary_M
    Free Member

This is why I don’t go camping during summer months. Noise until 4am, unless you’re wild camping.

Where do you camp? Any site we’ve gone to in the last 12 years of ‘family camping’ have had a no noise after 11pm rule. Okay you occasionally here people talking after that but its unusual.

As for people taking tv’s, well I wouldn’t do it myself but I’m not dumbfounded by the fact that others do it. People like doing different things you know.

spchantler
    Free Member

god, we’ve been complained at a few times over the years, also been kept up late by other people’s noise, who cares? its camping

NZCol

I dunno about the TV thing. I go camping to get early nights and drink Whisky in the dark !
    We were up North of Oban a couple of weeks ago and 3 campers pulled in, parked up, shut the blinds and watched TV, wtf, cracking sunset over Mull etc etc Bizarre but hey ho, their holiday I suppose.

Lawmanmx
    Free Member

newsflash … EARPLUGS! your welcome 😉

molgrips
    Free Member

I saw someone watching TV in their caravan this weekend and had the same thoughts as the OP then I realised something.

You bring your caravan to some new part of the country, spend your days exploring, walking, climbing, lion-taming or whatever, and then in the evening why not watch TV? Watching TV in the evening doesn’t mean you’ve been doing it all day, does it?

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘Camping. With a tv, why?’ is closed to new replies.