Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Camping with a 8 month old baby……..
  • goby

Ok me and my other half are going away, and i want to camp for a night while we stop over at a car show on our way to scotland.
    What sort off thing has you people put you baby in to sleep at night? in with you? Any help apprecaited!
    Thanks.

jam-bo

There’s a portable travel cot for sale in the classifieds.

wwaswas

in with you?

with airbeds I’d say that was a good way to smother a baby between you 🙁

these are quite good as the kid can’t roll out;

molgrips
    Free Member

We’ve done this.

We found a sleeping bag by I think Deuter, which can be zipped up small enough for a baby or up to about 3 or 4 ish. She didn’t really like sleeping in it though. If your baby’s small, they do these tiny cot things (Samsonite do one) just to hold the baby in place. You can then use blankets etc.

You can also just tie a strap half way down a normal sleeping bag. Or, just use bolsters to keep the kid in place and use blankets again.

All on a mattress or pad of some kind, of course. It was really pretty straighforward.

tinsy
    Free Member

Cardboard box?

cloudnine
    Free Member

Our little uns sleep have both slept in grobags which are basically a sleeping bag which popper around the armpits and neck. Just make sure you have the right tog with the correct clothing layers depending on the temperature. An inflatable sleeping bed with a bumper round the edge will work well like above.

goby

Thanks for the suggestion guys, but still trying to win the missus over especally after a very bad night!, oh boy they sure can keep you awake!

bigrich

we went camping with friends and they took their month old baby. They do have a massive tent, and this is Australia, so it was nice and warm.

torsoinalake
    Free Member

A readybed was put into use this weekend by our friends.

It’s a pity they don’t come with a soundproof dome for when their daughter screamed the campsite down at 6 every morning. I’m surprised we didn’t get lynched.

mrsflash
    Free Member
    tracknicko
    Free Member

It’s a pity they don’t come with a soundproof dome for when their daughter screamed the campsite down at 6 every morning. I’m surprised we didn’t get lynched.

is this not the real issue? if i found myself camping next to a family with an all night screaming baby i might be ummmmmm unamused let’s say.

Neil_Bolton
    Free Member

MrsFlash

It’s a pity they don’t come with a soundproof dome for when their daughter screamed the campsite down at 6 every morning. I’m surprised we didn’t get lynched

It’s a worry that I have as well – we want to go camping with out 8 month old but ultimately I’m a bit worried about this.

Having said that, you could argue that there are many many other things that annoy at camp-sites…

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

As someone who’s been kept awake on a number of occasions by screaming babies on campsites, please wait until the kid can sleep through, in a sleeping bag.

You won’t be popular.

jamiea
    Free Member

Were off to the Peak next weekend with our 2 month old. I too am a bit paranoid about waking the entire campsite up! She’s not too bad but I’m not sure how she’ll do in a new environment. But hey, me and the missus deserve a mini holiday damn it!

We’ve got one of these to go in out new gert-big (for us!) new family tent!

Cheers,
    Jamie

Neil_Bolton
    Free Member

Hungry Monkey; you could argue that there are plenty of campsites where if you would like to guarantee a peaceful nights sleep, and indeed, day, you could search out the plentiful ‘No children allowed’ campsites.

If you camp at a campsite where it’s predominantly family centric, you’re always likely to get screaming kids…day or night.

mrsflash
    Free Member

Am a bit confused as to why that quote is attributed to me but anyhow, we’ve camped quite a few times with Ted and have never had anyone being funny about it, most people think it’s great you are taking a small child camping. If he wakes in the night we tend to then take him in with us to keep him quiet. If he does wake I tend to apologise in the morning to anyone nearby anyway.

TBH if you go camping, I think you expect a bit of noise and to not get a great nights sleep, I know I do, even before children.

restless
    Free Member

Take a travel cot/playpen so you know your child isnt crawling off somewhere whilst you get ready etc.

molgrips
    Free Member

Yeah it does help a lot if your kid is well behaved at nights.

peterfile
    Free Member

My tent has a gear loft (basically a hammock type thing for storing kit) which hooks into the inner.

That would be awesome for a baby 🙂

ads678

We took our first camping when he was 3 months old. he slept in the carry cot then. It depends how big your tent is, when we go away for a few days/week we take the big tent so the normal travel cot fits in fine. but if your taking a small trekking type tent then you can get a fold away travel cot like the samsonite one mention above.

As for keeping them warm, layering is the key. normal vest and pj’s then a fleece all in one and a grow bag pretty much sort most nights out. unless it’s stupid cold, then put a hat on them!!

Kids love camping regardless of the weather and if you position your self close to other family’s you generally don’t get any complaints. just don’t park your self next to anybody who looks to serious and you’ll be fine. most of the coments we’ve ever had have been along the lines of “wow your brave, but the kids love camping don’t they”.

tonyd

Bit older than yours OP but I took my two camping at the weekend, 1.5 and 2.5. We got a couple of cheap ready beds from Argos and they were fine. The duvets that come with them are paper thin so I just piled their duvets from home and a couple of blankets on them (it was cold!).

The ready bed the youngest went in has a bumper round the top so he couldn’t easily roll out, would prob be OK for a fairly static 8 month old.

If your tent is big enough just take a travel cot, but make sure you put plenty of blankets underneath as well as on top of the baby.

As for noise – there’s usually plenty of other noise on campsites, I wouldn’t be overly bothered if I were you. Try to find a family oriented site and pitch as far away from others as you can. Anyone nearby, have a word before bed time and give them fair warning.

My two were awake at 5am so I had to smuggle them out as quietly as possible, we spent over an hour before breakfast exploring the nearby river and throwing stones.

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

If you camp at a campsite where it’s predominantly family centric, you’re always likely to get screaming kids…day or night.

don’t think i’ve ever camped on a family centric campsite! still get kept awake by kids though – the bawling at 4am is a real killer… 🙁

perthmtb
    Free Member

I’ve done a lot of camping holidays in the last few years, and I have to say it’s not the kids that keep me awake, it’s the adults who get pi$$ed and party thru the night.

I just take ear plugs now….

Oh, and +1 for the grobags, or just snuggle up in your sleeping bag with the little-un, sleeping with infants was fine for millions of years before modern man decided they needed a separate cot with a mobile above it. There’s nothing more natural than sleeping with your kids – its sleeping with others kids thats to be avoided, as the late Michael jackson found out to his eternal shame!

mrsflash
    Free Member

Layering is the key to warmth, we always leave his socks on, then appropriate long or shortsleeved vests and fleecy sleepsuit, blanket on top of the thermarest, so underneath him, then 2.5tog normal grobag. If it’s really cold, he comes in with us so we can make sure he’s warm enough.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Camping with a 8 month old baby……..’ is closed to new replies.