Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Camping this weekend
  • jon1973
    Free Member

…first trip of the season. It looks like rain.

😡

chojin
    Free Member

Embrace the rain, I say.

ciderinsport
    Free Member

Did nine nights at the start of March… now is for the lightweights! 😆

Mr_C
    Free Member

I went camping the week before easter – I tried to embrace the rain but when it’s coming at you horizontally from a north easterly direction on the Northumbrian coast I decided that sleeping in a flat tent wasn’t for me.

peterfile
    Free Member

haha, you’re from the south, aren’t you? 😉

it’s supposed to rain when you camp, that’s why it’s best to camp in winter, so the rain falls as pretty white snow.

I’ve got a belter of a cold from camping last weekend, and now off climbing at Polldubh (brilliant crag at Ben Nevis) for a couple of days and then up to Skye, so camping from tomorrow through until next Tuesday. I’d quite like for it to be dry too for once so that I can get rid of this snot which won’t stop dribbling out of my nose 🙂

I must admit, after camping all winter, i’m not looking forward to rain/midges/people etc 🙁

Going anywhere nice?

Enjoy!

jon1973
    Free Member

yes, I’m from the South 😆

to be honest, I really don’t mind a bit of rain when camping, although I’d rather it be dry. Just a big pain in the arse if you’re packing it all up soaking wet.

We’re going even further South to Kent…Half day on Friday…all set up by 3pm, traffic permitting, beer in hand by 3.15pm. I will enjoy 🙂

Edit

I must admit, after camping all winter, i’m not looking forward to rain/midges/people etc

I’ve done my fair share of ‘rough’ camping. Last year we went somewhere with no electrical hook-up 😕

Hohum
    Free Member

In 41 years I have done it twice.

Once in a pal’s back garden and the other time by a river under a dual carriage-way bridge.

They say that things come in 3s. Well not me and camping they don’t!

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Really can’t see the ‘enjoyment’ of camping in pissy weather. I have done it though, so I’m in a position to have an opinion but, naa. Not for me anymore.

jon1973
    Free Member

If the weather is good, I can’t think of anything I’d rather be doing then camping. I do agree about the weather. A bit of rain is OK, but too much is just miserable.

This was the view from our tent last year when we spent a few days in Chamonix.

flippinheckler
    Free Member

Electrical hookup pftt thats not proper camping, pitching your tent on the side if a mountain in a sheepfold, then hiking half a mile to collect firewood, that’s camping 🙂

Hohum
    Free Member

^^^^

As my old man says “Well there you go!”

That’s me told about camping!

jon1973
    Free Member

Electrical hookup pftt thats not proper camping

I don’t understand. If you don’t have a hook-up, how do you keep your Champagne chilled?

flippinheckler
    Free Member

I don’t understand. If you don’t have a hook-up, how do you keep your Champagne chilled?

In the river of course 😛

jon1973
    Free Member

Damn. See, this is what I missed out on by never being in the Scouts.

I’d be useless without my butler.

I camped last week – this was the view for most of the week….

On the one day it did rain, it was all good. We turned on the gas fire, cooked some food in the oven (had enough of BBQ food by then anyway) and drank wine snuggled up in our double bed watching tv whilst the rain splattered on the sunroof.

Caravans are ace.

jon1973
    Free Member

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

See what youv’e done now, youv’e got me thinking about wild camping in Scotland! still got all my gear, little Vau De tent at 1.1kg’s, Trangia, Thermarest 3/4, DEET, all that stuff. I still fancy a solo expedition like what 13thfloormonk did.

But only if it’s dry. 😆

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

jon1973 thats either a VANGO or a Kampa tent ?!?!?

no camping for us till June youngest is 2.5yrs old…

agree on the hookup btw !

I’d have no problem taking off on my own into the wilds with a tent – with wife and child, no ta!

spooky_b329

Best bit about camping is having a good old storm/downpour*…as long as it doesn’t last too long!

* Except when you pitched under a tree cos it was the only flat bit left, and had to suffer the drip, drip, thwack, drip, splatter, drip for the next 8 hours til morning, as water, twigs and acorns drop onto the tent all night.

onehundredthidiot

Last weekend with ice on the fly sheet:

Mind you we got this view next morning;

peterfile
    Free Member

Last weekend, best camping weather all season (save for the -20 windchill which led to this almighty cold i’ve picked up!):

oddjob
    Free Member

I’m desperate to take my son off for a bit of wild camping, but I’ve no idea where to go in Denmark without driving for hours and spending a fortune on bridges to get to Sweden.

Anyone here been camping anywhere nice on Sjælland?

This country really needs some mountains or even hills would be a start.

jota180
    Free Member

I went camping once

However this weekend’s beer will be enjoyed sat around here

With a view of pretty much bugger all but nice bugger all

mrdestructo

I ‘camp’ for about a month each summer ( I actually got 40 days in last summer) Here’s an early morning pic I took two summers ago when i woke early for an appointment with a compost toilet:

I’d post some other ‘interesting’ pics but they’re too ‘unconventional’ for most of you lot 🙂

I know some heavy gothic literature types, teachers and the like, who like to go up to Top Withens (Howarth) and camp there, even in the snow. The weather is unusual up there and you can pretty much guarantee that if you pull Bronte’s book out and read it like a play that the weather will turn, the wind will blow and the rain will go upwards sharing in the anger.

jon1973
    Free Member

Was thundering when we left home of Friday, but the weekend was hot (when the sun came out from behind the clouds) and dry. Awesome weekend.

The weekend got me thinking about buying a caravan though….would this make me officially middle-aged and annoying* to other members of the human race?

*more annoying

rogerthecat
    Free Member

Camping’s great, especially if you can fasten a nice, warm campervan to the tent 😀

jon1973
    Free Member

Campervans do ascend you to a whole new level of awesomeness.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Bunch of softies. caravans? camper vans? Its camping Jim but not as we know it.
    this is camping 🙂

20 Camping at Carrour by TandemJeremy, on Flickr

jon1973
    Free Member

I do occasionally poke myself in the leg with a fork to make my camping experience slightly less comfortable. 8)

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Camping this weekend’ is closed to new replies.