Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Camping in Scotland
  • Candodavid
    Free Member

Looking to go for a long trip north of the border, late august with Mrs C, Junior C and dog. Wanting to do bike, walk,relax thing. Trails ideally suitable for a nine year old at times.

Share the knowledge please

David

FoxyChick
    Free Member

Rothiemurchus campsite, Aviemore.

EVERYTHING you could want on the doorstep!!

druidh
    Free Member

Aviemore. Loads to do. Nice forest site at Rothiemurchus, or a bigger, more open site at Glenmore.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Same again, but book yourself into the one near the Hilton not the one nearer Glenmore. Very expensive for a campsite and I’m sure they ripped us off. They were also very fussy about where you could camp and where you could drive. I like my camping a little less regimented. Altenatively there is a very good one at Mabie or one of the campsites at Peebles was recommended on here recently.

epicyclo

Why use a campsite? Wild camping would be more fun.

geoffj

What they said ^^^^

epo-aholic
    Free Member

Remember to take your snow gear!

notlocal
    Free Member

I second FoxyChick. Nice beach at Loch Morlich too. Carrbridge is up the road if you fancy a walk through the trees.

fwb2006
    Free Member

Another vote for the rothiemurcas one, we were there last weekend, very good, location excellent, and £7pppn. Far less pikey than Glenmore.

geoffj

Just to add a bit of balance. The campsite at Glenmore is run by FC, is quite large and probably aimed at the caravan / motorhome brigade. We stayed a couple of nights last year and whilst it was expensive, the toilet facilities were excellent. At Glenmore you also have the option of being in the trees or a bit more out in the open, which may be important to you if you land in the middle of midge season. There is also a kids playground just off the site, the nasty Glenmore shop with the dry ski slope (wtf is that about?) and the FC visitor centre with reasonable-ish cafe.

The Rothiemurchus site is completely wooded and much smaller in comparison. Better suited to tents – I’m not even sure you can take a caravan or camper. There is no shop and the toilet facilities are not as clean as at Glenmore IME. The Rothiemurchus site is nearer to Aviemore though and more cycleable than Glenmore – which can be a bit of a drag back up the hill from Aviemore.

There are trails right from both sites.

If you like it more basic / rustic / nearer to Aviemore then go for Rothiemurchus, if you want a shop, playground and cafe virtually on site and 4* toilet facilities and don’t mind the longer trek into Aviemore, stay at Glenmore.

FoxyChick
    Free Member

geoffj…when did you last visit Rothie?
    We were there last August and there was a fantastic brand new toilet/shower block which was immaculate.
    Why kids would need a playground is beyond me. Our 2 disappeared for hours on end making dens and riding their bikes around the site.
    The site does accept caravans and campers.

The campsite at Glenmore is run by FC

I have absolutely nothing to do with it!!! 😉

druidh
    Free Member

I’ll back up what FC says about the toilets etc at Rothiemurchus. They’re like little en suite bathrooms and were immaculate when I was there last year.

geoffj

Well it’s been a couple of years since we stayed at Rothiemurchus. Sounds like it’s improved since. I’m not knocking it, I just don’t think that Glenmore is that much worse – just different and more expensive.

The extra would defo be worth it if you did run it though FC 🙂

Candodavid
    Free Member

According to website no dogs in camping area at Rothiemurchus, any good camping near Fort William?

druidh
    Free Member

I like the site at Glen Nevis. Not quite so many options for the kids as Aviemore has, but you’re within striking distance of the fabby beaches at Arisaig & Morar.

Not sure about pets though

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Camping in Scotland’ is closed to new replies.