Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Camping equipment trailers. Experiences please and what to look for?
  • rockhopper70

We started camping last year and struggled to fit all our equipment in the 308 Estate plus roofbox (2 adults, 3 children and one dog). We now have a touran and wondered about having a towball fitted to pull a small trailer for the bulky gear, tent, poles, table etc. As there are a lot of campers on here, I wondered if anyone had one and had any experience of using them/letting them gather dust. The immediate benefits are, I expect, less strain on the car suspension and more room in the car and that the trailer can be kept loaded ready for the off. Downside, speed limit (although I didn’t drive particularly quickly when fully loaded), manoeuvring, storing it.
    I also recall seeing trailer lids with bike racks on. That would be a major selling point to me.
    Your thoughts please.
    Cheers

MaryHinge
    Free Member

My Erde one stands upright in the corner of the garage.

Only got the soft cover, but used it for camping gear etc. Also great for taking smelly/dirty stuff to the tip etc

stox
    Free Member

Interested in this too … Octavia estate, 2 dogs, roof box and a baby on the way = car full!

wrightyson
    Free Member

Bejesus what you fellas taking camping
    Suppose the dog is an issue coz it’s hardly fair loading mountains of shit round him/her but skoda Octavia and full 😯
    Aah edit time, missed the two dogs in the skoda 😳

grizedaleforest

We have one of these:

Pluses – top quality trailer will last for years; secure so can leave valuables in it; full size wheels has lots of advantages; rails on top can be used for 3-4 bikes, canoes etc.

Negatives – expensive; need somewhere to store it; the lid can’t be removed easily so not so good for other trailer-type purposes.

(it’s a big tent :-))

andyl
    Free Member

Not as big as a trailer but none of the one the road drawbacks of a trailer (ie bouncing around, flat tyres and reversing)

http://www.thule.com/en/gb/products/carriers-and-racks/boxes-and-baskets/rear-mounted-cargo

rockhopper70

That thule is a good idea but with a 45Kg capacity, it’ll only hold my tent and poles 😯

rockhopper70

Storage isn’t really a problem as the equipment is in the garage, on a couple of pallets. I could keep the trailer in the garage using probably the same area. Liking that trailer grizedale!

rene59
    Free Member

If you get a trailer you will fill it. You will then buy more stuff and fill the car and roofbox also. You will then spend more time packing, setting up, taking down and repacking everytime you go camping. This will lead to arguments which will lead to tears which will not lead to enjoyment.

Don’t do it. Downsize your equipment to suit space you have.

hooli

I agree with rene59, we take as much as we can fit and make do.

In my experience, you can manage with a lot less than you think you can and having too much stuff takes ages to pack and unpack which means you will go less often.

eskay

I bought a decent homemade one off of eBay. It is a god send.

I used to leave all of the camping gear in it and store it in my garage. I made a gantry shelf and could push the trailer under and still have storage space above.

I now keep it in a barn on my mates Farm as I needed the space.

jon1973
    Free Member

There’s only two of us, but there is a tendency to just fill every inch of available space. We’ve taken to downsizing recently – it’s amazing how much stuff you don’t need if you really thing about it.

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

Im going to sell my Erde 143 with home made lockable marine plywood hard top. spare wheel as well great condition
    London area !

£250

sadexpunk

ive got a cracking trailer for camping, couldnt be better for us as it has a top box screwed to top of trailer. been thinking about selling up the camping gear now tho as we just seem to be interested in foreign hols and cottages these days.
    cant really be bothered trying to sell it tho, but if someone wanted one id be tempted to sell it now rather than try and sell in future. id have to be 100% certain tho as id find it hard to find one so suited to us.

id be wanting around £250, lincs area.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Keep an eye on gumtree etc. I got an unused erde 122 for £100 a couple of years back. Fantastic little trailer, I can get 4 bikes in it (by welding a raised strut at either end) without taking wheels off etc, and can get loads of stuff I between bikes too.

Frees up the car for 4 people and all other kit in the boot.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Camping equipment trailers. Experiences please and what to look for?’ is closed to new replies.