Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Campervantrackworld. Electric hookup.
  • colournoise

Got a partially converted Vivaro (rock’n’roll bed, splitter & leisure battery). Given an electric hookup kit when we bought it and want to fit it before we go on a road trip this summer.

Those that have converted vans and added a hookup – where’s the best easiest place to mount the hookup socket? Don’t want to have to do loads of cutting and bodywork if it can be avoided. Pictures would be cool.

Would it be easier to ditch the whole thing, buy a standalone ‘tent’ hookup from Go Outdoors and run the cable through a window when we need it?

nickdavies

Mines under the bonnet. Easy to wire, access and no need to worry about bodywork.

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

Under the bonnet or under a sill using a waterproof connector.

The problem with the camping variants is that the van won’t be earthed in case of a problem, you could theoretically get a belt off the chassis if the cable got damaged.

colournoise

nickdavies – Member
    Mines under the bonnet. Easy to wire, access and no need to worry about bodywork.

Hand’t considered that. Nice one.

Blazin-saddles – Member
    The problem with the camping variants is that the van won’t be earthed in case of a problem, you could theoretically get a belt off the chassis if the cable got damaged.

Any way to avoid this?

trail_rat
    Free Member

Many campers have floating systems in the hab area anyway so still a chance to get a shock off the chassis.

I have a hole in the body work next to the water tank fill point and the Truma exhaust.

Works for me but then I seem to be backing holes left right and centre in my van to sort out the half assed conversion someone did which was actually dangerous because of their aversion to cutting the required holes for the fridge….

codybrennan
    Free Member

Mine emerges beneath the rear bumper, on the RHS.

trail_rat
    Free Member

One other thing. The less in your face y is the more likely you are to drive off with it still plugged in.

I plug mine in then drape the cable round the drivers wing mirror – long cable and the plug is only just behind driver’s door so if I am getting into the drivers seat – only reason would be to drive off….I’m immediately aware I am hooked up to mains- normally though this is only when at home to precool the fridge on 240v

burko73

On my old t4 I wired it through the spare fog light in the rear bumper. A neat fix, pop the fog light and it pops out and plugs in in a short length of flex.

If you use a garage consumer unit in the van you can bond it to the chassis so if it picks up an earth fault it will trip.

nickjb
    Free Member

We used a standalone tent one a couple of times but tbh it wasn’t that useful. The leisure battery will happily run everything bar the fridge and we are happy to live without that to not be tied to a plug. I certainly wouldn’t bother cutting the van up to wire a proper one in. YMMV. I suppose it depends how important extra power is to you

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Campervantrackworld. Electric hookup.’ is closed to new replies.