Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Camper vans and driving licences
  • DickBarton

Away camping for a few days and saw plenty of campervans…so I’m now curious. Family has some but it is the side of the family that I don’t speak to much as they are posher than me ergo, a campervans probably isn’t for me!
    What do you need on a driving licence for a campervan? What speed limits do you need to adhere to?
    Not looking to buy (can’t afford it but I’m now thinking it would be nice to have) but whilst pondering this on the toilet this morning, I realised I didn’t know the answer to those questions…so I’m now on here asking.

IHN

What do you need on a driving licence for a campervan? What speed limits do you need to adhere to?

For a normal panel-van sized camper (i.e. T5, Transit etc)

– normal driving license
    – 60 on motorways/dual carriageways if still classed as panel van on V5, 70 if reclassified as motor caravan

Bigger motorhome stuff, not sure.

wwaswas

plated upto 3500kg you can drive on a C1 licence. Beyond that, separate test unless you passed before 1995.

owenh

On the back of your driving licence will be a list of codes for the categories it covers. Not sure of the date but with weight it will depend when you passed your test. Older licences cover up to 7.5t gross weight where as now (and for quite a few years back) the limit is 3.5t gross.
    With a campervan the 3.5t limit is not normally a problem as the base vehicles are plated to less than this 3.5 anyway. With the motorhomes however the 3.5t can be a factor, either your licence doesent cover it or the vehicle has been plated to 3.5t gross and is very close to the 3.5 net (i.e virtually zero payload).
    Speed limits for campervans are same as cars but this assumes the van has been officially classified by the DVLA as a campervan (either type approval by the manufacturer) or post conversion by the converter/owner.

matt_outandabout

Dick – you are old enough (ahem) to have the categories you need assuming you passed about when I did, unless you are looking at this as a camper.

nealglover
    Free Member

For a normal panel-van sized camper (i.e. T5, Transit etc)

– normal driving license
    – 60 on motorways/dual carriageways if still classed as panel van on V5, 70 if reclassified as motor caravan

70 on Motorways.
    60 on dual carriageways.

IHN

70 on Motorways.
    60 on dual carriageways.

Nope

https://www.gov.uk/speed-limits

geoffj

I once looked at a double decker bus that been converted to a camper and I *thought* I remembered that it could be driven in s normal car licence. Might be wrong though.

nealglover
    Free Member

Nope

https://www.gov.uk/speed-limits

Which states goods vehicles of not more than 7.5t can do 70mph on motorways and 60mph on Dual carriageways.

wwaswas

I think t5’s etc are plated below 3.05t though nealglover?

nealglover
    Free Member

That would fit in with “not more than” 7.5t then.

IHN

I think you’re reading it wrong, it says

motor caravans: 60 single carriageway, 70, dual, 70 motorway (third row in table).

Good vehicles: 50 single carriageway, 60, dual, 70 motorway (seventh row in table).

So if you get your camper conversion reclassified from a goods vehicle to a motor caravan (which is possible to do), you get a higher speed limits.

nealglover
    Free Member

I’m not reading it wrong, I was replying to this….

60 on motorways/dual carriageways if still classed as panel van on V5,

70 if reclassified as motor caravan

The non reclassified panel van campers aren’t restricted to 60 on motorways as it says

piemonster

http://www.bedfordshire.police.uk/advice_centre/casualty_reduction_partnership/speed/know_your_speed_limits.aspx

As a “rule of thumb” any van larger than a Vauxhall Astra van will have a gross weight in excess of 2 tonnes and is therefore subject to the reduced “class of vehicle” speed limits. Ford Transit, Mercedes Sprinter, Mercedes Vito, Peugeot Expert and Ford Connect, for example, are restricted vans.

There’s a useful image in that link if anyone wants to post it up.

IHN

The non reclassified panel van campers aren’t restricted to 60 on motorways as it says

aaaaaaaah, gotcha. Correct 🙂

nealglover
    Free Member

There’s a useful image in that link if anyone wants to post it up.

Rather unhelpfully, it’s made up of loads of images linked together in a table like this …

So I can’t hot link directly to it.

grumpysculler
    Free Member

plated upto 3500kg you can drive on a C1 licence

Nope.

Up to 3500kg MAM can be driven on a B licence.

Over 3500kg MAM is C1, which old folk (pre 1st Jan 1997 test pass) have a limited version of from their car test. Really old folk will need a medical to retain their C1 past age 70 or they lose it on renewal.

C1 test is pretty easy if it is needed.

epicsteve
    Free Member

My daughter has been looking into doing the C1 test because our motorhome is plated to 3800kg so while my wife and I can drive it (“old folk” according to the previous post!) she currently can’t (she’s 25).

wwaswas

You could look at getting the motorhome downplated – if you don’t use all the available capacity – it’s not that difficult to do, I believe. Ours was up plated when new to drop the VED liability but others identical were sold plated at 3500kg.

epicsteve
    Free Member

You could look at getting the motorhome downplated – if you don’t use all the available capacity – it’s not that difficult to do, I believe. Ours was up plated when new to drop the VED liability but others identical were sold plated at 3500kg.

It’s a pretty big old beast – 2.4TD transit, 7.5m, twin wheel – so suspect it’d have zero payload at 3500kg. It has a garage for a small motorbike so does need a fair amount of payload.

We’ll probably replace it this year but suspect we’ll still end up with something over 3500kg.

wwaswas

fair enough. Ours is a 7.2m 2.8TDi Ducato based coachbuilt but only single axle so there’s a reasonable payload even at 3500. I’ve kept 3800 ‘cos I’m old and my licence covers it and the VED seems to be less.

thecaptain
    Free Member

The important speed limit variation (different to normal cars) is 50 on NSL roads, which seems to have been buried in the above posts. Though depending on van you could be the normal 60.

bubs

The answer to all camper van questions is a Bongo.

ElShalimo

bubs – Member

– if you’re vertically challenged.

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

It really isn’t.

sharkattack

The Mazda Bongo is on my list of ‘worst vehicles I’ve ever driven’. I had one as a courtesy van while my van was getting serviced. Couldn’t give it back fast enough.

bubs

Well that stealth add could have gone better 😀

DickBarton

Ta. Passed in Feb 95 but got a ‘limited’ licence which is renewed every 3 years for medical reasons. I don’t have c1…but it’d be a panel van size.
    I’m not looking to buy but they did look good…strangely all of them had a tent or awning where everything but sleep was done, so clearly no space for anything inside, so a car and tent seems the cheaper and more sensible solution.
    Thanks for the clarity on it all though…I can get off the throne now I’ve got my answers!

acidchunks

The Mazda Bongo is on my list of ‘worst vehicles I’ve ever driven’. I had one as a courtesy van while my van was getting serviced. Couldn’t give it back fast enough.

Are you sure it was a bongo? they’re notoriously easy to drive.

Tracey

One of the considerations when we bought ours was to ensure that both our girls would be able to drive it on their normal licences. They both need to be a bit older to keep the insurance premiums down. No tent or awning to sleep in. All the bikes go in the back

IHN

strangely all of them had a tent or awning where everything but sleep was done, so clearly no space for anything inside

Depends entirely on the layout. Ours (Amdro T5 conversion) is completely usable as just the van. We have a small porch awning, but that’s bonus space rather than a necessity.

Sundayjumper

FTFY.

My FiL has one. It’s small and fundamentally badly laid out. I looked at the forum once, it seemed to be an echo chamber of owners congratulating each other about their vans being cheaper than a VW. And ignoring all the reasons why they’re cheaper.

epicsteve
    Free Member

I can sort of see the point of those tiny little motorhomes if they are small enough to double up as everyday vehicles however I wouldn’t fancy one myself – especially given the relative cost for the T5 conversions compared to a decent C-class.

ElShalimo

not sure why so much Bongo hate but if you don’t put a side kitchen in one they are pretty good with a pop-up roof plus the seats make a huge bed. If you want a cheap camper they’re a good bet.

Sundayjumper

I keep lusting after a BFO 7.5 Tonne MX-style race van with a big garage for the bikes & stuff. Or a 4×4 Sprinter.

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘Camper vans and driving licences’ is closed to new replies.