Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Campagnolo Centaur for cyclocross?
  • sefton
    Free Member

building a new bike for racing, last season I ran Sram Rival levers with apex mechs (without problem)

I thought of Shimano 105 for this new build but then questioned Campagnolo (but I’ve never had any dealings with Campy stuff)

the bike will be a 1×10, I’m guessing I can used any cassette?

mrmo
    Free Member

campag 10spd cassettes use a different spacing to shimano/sram 10spd. But it can work.

One thing to note, Campag ergopower shifters are ALOT cheaper than Shimano or Sram, so if you happen to crash, less expensive to replace.

mattsccm
    Free Member

And more mendable.

dobo
    Free Member

i use campag veloce 10 speed shifters on cx, just because i got em cheap and 105’s were like £100 more! screw that

at the time i was told 10 speed shimano cassette wont work properly with the campags but 8 speed cassette does. Im using a sram 8 speed 11-28 and works fine, not a bad weight and cheap!
    its not super slick shifting but it works pretty good for a cheap cx build

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

Cyclocross pfft

Campag monstercross is where its at.

Its running a ambrosio cassette which is campag spaced, shimano splined.

I also ran a shimano 8 speed cassette no probs, with the stops on the mech wound in.

rusty-trowel
    Free Member

A bit like this?
    [/url]
    cross by bmclynskey1, on Flickr[/img][/url]
    IMAG0481 by bmclynskey1, on Flickr[/img]

sefton
    Free Member

what size ring is that? where did you get the guard from?

so I can run an 8speed shimano cassette with it if I wish?

whats the advantage of that then? other than price?

dobo
    Free Member

whats the advantage of that then? other than price?

it shifts properly and a 10 speed cassette wont 😉

thats similar to my guard but its got bits cut out, maybe from bbg bashguard. im running a 38t or 39t currently for cx

rusty-trowel
    Free Member

It’s a 38t stronglight chainring with a 12-27 cassette.
    BBG bashguard online from the states and an n-stop chain catcher.

sefton
    Free Member

10spd shifters & 8spd cassette?

STATO
    Free Member

Check out the ctc website, lists the combos that work.

I currently run campy shifters, shimano mech (hubbub mod) and 9spd cassette on my commuter. Works perfectly.

I ran a full campagnolo set-up for cross the last few seasons, it didnt cope well. One mud and gravel track destroyed a mech, one grassy and muddy track took another, cassettes clog up a bit too. I think next time would be the set-up as i run on my commuter above, that way can use MTB mechs and cassettes for mud survive-ability and campy shifters cos they are much nicer than anything else (IMO).

STATO
    Free Member

10spd shifters & 8spd cassette?

10 spd campy shifters
    shimano rear mech
    8 spd shimano cassette

(see my link above)

doodlebug
    Free Member

Complete Campag here, even the brakes !
    Competed in cross competitions most weekends in the last season and never missed a beat

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

I run shimano cassette, campag cranks with MicroShift shifters and mechs. It’s the crispest shifting thing I have ever owned.

sefton
    Free Member

might just run campy 10spd.

oldgit
    Free Member

Just asking why 1 x 10 for racing? raced on a few courses that have warranted a big gear. Your choice though.

clunker

Love my Campag…

Has more soul too 🙂

aP
    Free Member

1×10 is fine, I know quite a few people who race with single front ring. Hasn’t harmed them – they include someone who’s a former women’s national, European and World champion who’s also won 3 Peaks a few times.

oldgit
    Free Member

aP what gearing were you running? I found the 25 too short especially at that sandy Oxford venue.

sefton
    Free Member

one less place for mud to accumulate, less mechanical issues, weight

oldgit
    Free Member

Okay. Personally I’ve never had a mud issue with a front mech, never had mechanical issues with a front mech, and weight! a bit academic when you have 2lb of mud clinging to the fat tubes. Plus you have to ditch an Ergo. or just waste it.
    I accept it’s a perfectly viable option to run 1×10, but you still (might)need a bash and or a guide.
    But one day you might turn up at a circuit with long firm flats/downhills or tarmac and wish you had the 46.
    If I ran two bikes, then one would be 1×10 or single speed.

sefton
    Free Member

I’ll be running two bike this year.

not decided what gearing on my double though (I commute on that one) currently run 34/46 – 11-28. might pop a 36/44 on for cx season

scottyroyal
    Free Member

Yup, I run a single 42T front using a superstar chain guide and 12-30 centaur 10sp cassette and its perfect for racing.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Campagnolo Centaur for cyclocross?’ is closed to new replies.