Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Campag, mine hasn't 'worn in' at all.
  • alexathome
    Free Member

I’ve been having a few skipping issues with the cassette on my road bike. The 3rd and 4th largest ones. It’s 10 speed record. The groupset hasn’t got masses of miles on it, maybe 2/3k only used in the dry and taken good care of. The chain is just on .5 on the park stretched chain ometer, measured against a new chain, there’s only 2mm in it over the length.

Has anyone else had a cassette where before the chains worn out? On my training bike I’ve changed the chain 3 times and still on the same cassette, which is a ti dura ace one. And it’s done maybe 12/15k in any weather.

Bit miffed, as they ain’t getting any cheaper.

whatnobeer
    Free Member

Does the cassette look worn? Its definitely not an indexing issue?

clubber
    Free Member

“Campag wears in” is a myth – the kind of thing perpetuated by ignorant fools who think steel frames wear out…

It is unusual to have a cassette wear out before a chaing – my campag ones have lasted a lot more than 2-3k, even in very wet/crap conditions. Are the teeth obviously worn? Are you sure it’s the cassette and not a stiff link or similar or even the chainrings?

alexathome
    Free Member

That’s the odd thing, I’ve held it up to a new one, and no, they don’t look worn, no obvious bends, nics out of the teeth, and I’ve put in another wheel with a new cassette on and it indexes just fine. I was so certain that it couldn’t be worn that I thought it must of been the free hub initially.

Is there any scientific way of checking for wear, I’ve not come across a tool for this,

alexathome
    Free Member

And no, I’ve new chain rings, changed to rotor ones, not changed due to wear, the chain seems fine too, and cables etc.

glupton1976
    Free Member

Have you put the correct spacers back in the correct places? I made that mistake once.

clubber
    Free Member

Like he said – not all the spacers are the same thickness.

alexathome
    Free Member

There are no spacers between those two, they are attached. Also it just started doing it one day, without me messing around with it prior. It’s a mystery. I’ll try a new chain I suppose once one turns up in the post, I’m out of ideas.

glupton1976
    Free Member

Yes, but are the spacers either side of those two correct?

barn
    Free Member

Would help to understand more about the skip: is the chain wanting to shift up the cassette i.e. move to a bigger cog?
    Or is chain skipping down i.e. slipping to a smaller cog?

If the former, try adjusting cable tension.
    If the latter, try a new gear cable (inner and outer).

A new cable sorted a similar issue for me on a Veloce 10-speed group with similar mileage.

baznav73
    Free Member

Or doe’s the freehub need a clean and regrease IE: is it the pawls skipping.

mattythemod
    Free Member

Read someone NOT to use the park chain checking tool as its not accurate on Campag chain as they wear at a diffrent rate ie last maybe twice as long .

cynic-al
    Free Member

ampag chain as they wear at a diffrent rate ie last maybe twice as long .

myth tastic!

cyclistm
    Free Member

I fitted a campag groupset to a friends bike. From new it seemed to skip over one gear, problem never went away. 3 shops tried to solve it but none managed it.

STATO
    Free Member

Sound like the OP has a duff cassette, bent tooth maybe? or slight twist in the chain (if it does it only occasionally).

Regarding the ‘wear in’ thing, thats a comment on shifters ie. they dont get all sloppy like shimano (used too), nowt to do with cassettes.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Campag, mine hasn't 'worn in' at all.’ is closed to new replies.