• This topic has 4 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by aP.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Campag Crank Bearing Puller Alternatives
  • andysredmini
    Free Member

I want to change the bearings on my campag mirage ultra torque crankset. They are creaking really badly and can barely hear the bikes other creaks over the top of them. I have removed the cranks and popped the seals, cleaned and repacked but the creaking persists. I have some bearings already but I don’t have a bearing puller. Does anyone in the west midlands have one I could use or know another way to remove them? The bike is a 10 year old Bianchi and its still the original bearings so its had a good life. The whole bike is getting tired though and I’m only looking to get another couple of months out of it before I hopefully get a new one so I don’t want to buy a tool especially but I also don’t want to damage the crank. I’m going to try my lbs tomorrow but I don’t think they really do campag.

Thanks

Andy

bob_summers

depending on the jaws, a generic puller can work so you might get lucky at the LBS. A bit of plastic pipe of suitable diameter will serve as a drift to get the new bearings on.

sundaywobbler

I got mine off quite easily by using a hammer and drift, lay the crank spindle on some wood so you don’t damage the ‘teeth’ which join the two halves together and tap the bearing off the shaft, mine weren’t that tight, but had been fitted a lot less than 10 years!

For refitting the old ones, heat them up and just drop over the spindle and gently tap into place. To heat mine up I used a bearing heater (had one available at work) but I have used an oven in the past, you don’t want to take it much past about 110 degrees of heat though.

And make sure you remember to put all the seals on before fitting the bearings.

This may or may not sound possible depending upon your bike spannering skills?

andysredmini
    Free Member

Thanks very much. If i know its possible to get something in to knock them off ill give it a try. I had it in my mind that the bearing was well hidden behind the spider and wouldn’t be easy to access with a drift.
    Ill get them off and have a proper look when I get the bike from having some new spokes.

Thanks again

aP
    Free Member

Park do an UT puller and drift which is significantly cheaper than the Campagnolo tools. When you pull the bearing it comes off with quite a “snap”. Just remember to put the cranks back on at 180 degrees!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Campag Crank Bearing Puller Alternatives’ is closed to new replies.