Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Camp sites handy for the Commonwealth Games next year……
  • MoreCashThanDash

So, we have tickets for the athletics and the gymnastics, so it looks like the main family camping trip next summer will be north of the border!

Any camp sites that would give fairly easy access to the Games – need decent showers and ideally things on site/nearby for the kids.

What do we know?

Edit: and apparently we will also be going to see the pandas at Edinburgh zoo while we are up there 🙄

joshvegas
    Free Member

Oi. The zoo is excellent.

Camping…. in glasgow…. I dunno never noticed any campsites.

matt_outandabout

What about some nice beaches, riding, hills and quick transport? Helensborough, Rhu, Garelochead or Arrochar all have campsites. And you can take the train…
    If not, try around Abefoyle way – quick enough drive, far enough away!

MoreCashThanDash

Thanks matt, will hunt round there

Muke
    Free Member

Always found this useful when looking for campsites etc http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/sites/county.asp?region=Scotland

peterfile
    Free Member

Camping…. in glasgow…. I dunno never noticed any campsites.

My mate and I bumped into a load of 18 year old Belgians in Kinlochleven a few years back, who were visiting Scotland during a gap year.

There was about 10 of them, a mixture of guy and girls and all really nice.

They told us they had a bad experience with the police in Glasgow.

Apparently they had got off the bus from the airport late on the Saturday night, walked just outside the station and tried to pitch 3 tents on the small strip of grass right next to it (Cowcaddens Rd). The police arrived quickly and advised them that it was a really bad idea and gave them the address of a nearby hostel.

The youngsters were genuinely pissed off and couldn’t believe that they were not allowed to camp there!

As someone who used to live 2 mins away from the bus station, I was happy to tell them that the police saved them from losing all of their stuff. Buchanan Bus station late at night is an awful place, really really dodgy.

I can only imagine how funny it looked on CCTV, 10 youngsters pitching tents in the dodgiest part of Glasgow city centre on a Saturday night 🙂

Kids, eh? 😉

glupton1976
    Free Member

As someone who used to live 2 mins away from the bus station, I was happy to tell them that the police saved them from losing all of their stuff. Buchanan Bus station late at night is an awful place, really really dodgy.

One man’s awful really really dodgy place is another man’s quiet place. The bus station is fine at night. Probably wouldn’t camp there though.

iainc

Could always pitch up at the Cathkin circuit 🙂

peterfile
    Free Member

The bus station is fine at night

I was living in a highrise in Townhead at the time and was generally relieved to get out of the station and cross North Hanover St on a Friday/Saturday night (which is saying something ha ha!).

It’s the only part of the city centre where i wasn’t happy with my mum/gf etc waiting on their own at the weekend at night tbh.

Suppose like anything it all comes down to experiences. A couple of muggings and a flatmate now sporting metal plates in his face caused us to move through it a bit more quickly at the weekend. I was around the station that night when the bus driver was stabbed too. Just too many wee idiots hanging around at times.

fasthaggis

One man’s awful really really dodgy place is another man’s quiet place

Ah,grasshopper you must travel far for such wisdom 😆

OP you could try here .
    It’s easy to drive or get the train in to town .

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Camp sites handy for the Commonwealth Games next year……’ is closed to new replies.