Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Camp site, within say, 2 hours of Eastbourne
  • MoreCashThanDash

MrsSwadey has hatched a cunning plan whereby we leave our two darling kids at her folks near Eastbourne and then have a couple of nights away camping and doing some proper walking.

Thinking 1-2 hours from Eastbourne, so North or South Downs probably – needs to have or be near a decent cafe for breakfast and decent pubs for evening meals, as we will be travelling light. And a decent shower block is a must!

What do you recommend?

MoreCashThanDash

*bump*

thomthumb
    Free Member

there is one in brighton – pretty good access to the downs and the city.
    shower/ toilet block pretty good.

would have thought you could find a better one though. (location wise)

Muddy@rseTony
    Free Member

There is a campsite at Plumpton next to the Half Moon pub. Direct access up (literally) onto the South Downs. The pub does good food and you can walk/ride to loads of places. Eastbourne is 35 miles away and it takes about 3 hours to ride, via the SDW, or about an hour to drive by car.

As of 1st April the South Downs becomes a national park and I think it then is possible to bivvy/wild camp providing you are at least 100m from the road – others might know more about this.

thomthumb
    Free Member

As of 1st April the South Downs becomes a national park and I think it then is possible to bivvy/wild camp providing you are at least 100m from the road – others might know more about this.

i don't think that is a national park thing it only applys to dartmoor (i think)

on the other hand i have bivvied a couple of times – never been seen. usual common sense approach applies.

Muddy@rseTony
    Free Member

For wild camping:

In England and Wales (other than Dartmoor Common areas) ask the landowner for permission first

So yes Dartmoor does seem a special case although a fair bit of the South Downs is in 'public' ownership albeit leased to farmers.

Muke
    Free Member
    Evesie
    Free Member

Nice little camp at Washington, pub nearby, good showers & at the bottom of the Downs – uphill start but good D/H finish! Google "Washcamp"

MoreCashThanDash

Thanks guys – sadly this is a "walking and camping" break, so I'll have to watch enviously while you all ride past us….

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Camp site, within say, 2 hours of Eastbourne’ is closed to new replies.