Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Camino De Santiago
  • scruff9252

Has anyone cycled the Camino? thinking about this for a summer holiday; two weeks, 780km of footpath/singletrack, beautiful part of the world, decent wine…

Anyone been there, done that, got any advice?

doug_basqueMTB.com

Scruff, Singletrack? Not so much, some in places but a lot of wider paths / fireroads. Also, you know there’s about 5 varients?? We’ll be riding some today along the coast, it’s the Camino del Norte and is seriously techy in places (steps of death etc!) The first couple of days of the main camino through Roncesvalles and down to Pamplona I use sometimes as climbs and linking trails. They’re nice, narrow but not singletrack.

As with everything that’s on a map you’ll be riding past some cracking singletrack 🙂

Scenery is stunning, food and wine are incredible. The temperatures can be on the warm side in the middle of summer.

bob_summers

Did it last September. Had a busy summer and just wanted to be on the bike for a week so did the camino.
    In the end it only took 5 days, bivvying in parks etc. From a mountain biking point of view it was rubbish, certainly no singletrack and often on paths parallel to the main road. Doug’s suggestion of the Camino del norte would be better in that respect and is about a 10 day trip.
    Getting the bike back can be tricky, you’re limited to bubble wrapping it and getting the bus. You can take it by train but only the sleeper and you have to pay for the whole cabin.
    I really enjoyed it, just for being on the bike and having to do nothing more than follow yellow arrows, but if you want mountain biking there are better ways to spend a week.

Stoner
    Free Member

weve tour cycled in the opposite direction from santiago to the pyrenees (as part of a longer trip). from what Ive seen of the camino itself and the people on it, its not something Id want to do. I did get to ride a bit of it “off road” right at the end that was pleasant:

[img]https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-sXRfsW8hjV4/SKkt0U4XF4I/AAAAAAAAERU/35Mryux7IhU/s400/Pompino%252520Trip%252520062.jpg[/img]

http://pompinos.blogspot.com

Id recommend doing one of the long distance Grand Randonees in France instead.

gbigwood
    Free Member

Hi

I did the Camino del Norte last year. Very recommendable. Most of it is offroad and wonderful beaches and fishing villages to recover in.

Definetly avoid the main camino de santiago (camino frances) en august

Also recommend that from Santiago you continue on towards Vigo on the portugeese way. then go and visit los islas atlanticas. Amazing islands about an hour off the coast.

cheers

Guy

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Camino De Santiago’ is closed to new replies.