Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 357 total)
  • Cameron resigns – which goon will replace him?
  • wilburt
    Free Member

Dear god no, can’t we get an agency temp in?

pondo

What’s Silvio doing these days?

aracer
    Free Member

A foreign manager – good call, it’s working for the Cricket and Rugby teams (apologies to our Northern friends who don’t know what cricket is)

jonba
    Free Member

A foreign manager –

kennyp
    Free Member

Ruth Davidson would make a great PM. But not now. It’s a bit of a poisoned chalice at the moment so hopefully she’ll hold off for five or ten years.

Rockape63
    Free Member

It’s a weird day in politics when I agree with Junkyard. The referendum is uniting us all!

Steady on old chap….agreed on the weird day, but not THAT weird!

samunkim
    Free Member

Risk Astley

slowoldman

Oh **** it. Let’s have Rupert Murdoch and be done with it.

ocrider

He wouldn’t dirty his hands, besides he’s far too happy pulling the strings

leffeboy

Maybe there is no-one who is electable who would take the job under the condition that they will take Britain out of the UK. Possibly that is the way out

mikey74
    Free Member

I vote for Obama: He’ll be out of a job soon

or Sadiq Khan: He seems to talk the most sense these days.

kilo

Jesus, just seen Liam Fox teeing himself up, thought he’d been seen through

ratherbeintobago

A foreign manager –

Well, we have had a Canadian PM before.

Lifer
    Free Member

Leave the ‘undemocratic’ EU to get a PM who wasn’t on the ballot (the ‘no-one votes for a PM’ thing is technically true, but in the real world, bull) but even better than that we could end up leaving the ‘undemocratic’ EU to avoid TTIP and get a PM that no-one voted for who thinks:

There is absolutely nothing not to like about the TTIP.

colournoise

Totally scientific Twitter poll on The Last Leg put May as favourite.

zokes
    Free Member

Odd that one of the first effects of leaving is that we get a leader we didn’t vote for.

Well, given that 75% of the UK didn’t vote for the party that chose Cameron as its leader, I don’t think we need worry about domestic democracy.

thomthumb
    Free Member

Is boris an MP? Can he be leader?

aracer
    Free Member

Yes, and yes of course.

willchrist
    Free Member

How come politicians claim to serve the people and carry out the wish of the majority, yet when we give them a mandate to carry out they resign? Cameron and Hill should have their pensions withdrawn at the least!!!
    If only the average worker could resign when their boss told them to do something they don’t like or agree with.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

If only the average worker could resign when their boss told them to do something they don’t like or agree with.

Er – you know what resign means?
    Cameron was elected as an MP, he remains an MP.

thomthumb
    Free Member

Thanks aracer. Completely misread wiki on my phone earlier. Quite clear after a ride and a coffee!!

ratherbeintobago

Is boris an MP? Can he be leader?

He’s an MP. While in theory he could be leader, I think he’s post-referendum campaign far too divisive a figure, though that hasn’t stopped asshats like Bill Cash talking up the next leader being a ‘true Brexiteer’. This would seem a good way of ensuring the self-destruction of the Tory party as they alienate everyone currently <45, meaning their entire voter base will eventually die off…

Stoner
    Free Member

first hurdle overcome: Crabb has announced he’s running for the leadership. And odds have already shortened to 10/1

Sunday times tomorrow:

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

From the guardians comments section:

If Boris Johnson looked downbeat yesterday, that is because he realises that he has lost.

Perhaps many Brexiters do not realise it yet, but they have actually lost, and it is all down to one man: David Cameron.

With one fell swoop yesterday at 9:15 am, Cameron effectively annulled the referendum result, and simultaneously destroyed the political careers of Boris Johnson, Michael Gove and leading Brexiters who cost him so much anguish, not to mention his premiership.

How?

Throughout the campaign, Cameron had repeatedly said that a vote for leave would lead to triggering Article 50 straight away. Whether implicitly or explicitly, the image was clear: he would be giving that notice under Article 50 the morning after a vote to leave. Whether that was scaremongering or not is a bit moot now but, in the midst of the sentimental nautical references of his speech yesterday, he quietly abandoned that position and handed the responsibility over to his successor.

And as the day wore on, the enormity of that step started to sink in: the markets, Sterling, Scotland, the Irish border, the Gibraltar border, the frontier at Calais, the need to continue compliance with all EU regulations for a free market, re-issuing passports, Brits abroad, EU citizens in Britain, the mountain of legistlation to be torn up and rewritten … the list grew and grew.

The referendum result is not binding. It is advisory. Parliament is not bound to commit itself in that same direction.

The Conservative party election that Cameron triggered will now have one question looming over it: will you, if elected as party leader, trigger the notice under Article 50?

Who will want to have the responsibility of all those ramifications and consequences on his/her head and shoulders?

Boris Johnson knew this yesterday, when he emerged subdued from his home and was even more subdued at the press conference. He has been out-maneouvered and check-mated.

If he runs for leadership of the party, and then fails to follow through on triggering Article 50, then he is finished. If he does not run and effectively abandons the field, then he is finished. If he runs, wins and pulls the UK out of the EU, then it will all be over – Scotland will break away, there will be upheaval in Ireland, a recession … broken trade agreements. Then he is also finished. Boris Johnson knows all of this. When he acts like the dumb blond it is just that: an act.

The Brexit leaders now have a result that they cannot use. For them, leadership of the Tory party has become a poison chalice.

When Boris Johnson said there was no need to trigger Article 50 straight away, what he really meant to say was “never”. When Michael Gove went on and on about “informal negotiations” … why? why not the formal ones straight away? … he also meant not triggering the formal departure. They both know what a formal demarche would mean: an irreversible step that neither of them is prepared to take.

All that remains is for someone to have the guts to stand up and say that Brexit is unachievable in reality without an enormous amount of pain and destruction, that cannot be borne. And David Cameron has put the onus of making that statement on the heads of the people who led the Brexit campaign.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I was amazed to see that Nicky Morgan is being touted as a serious contender, she has all charisma and inspirational qualities of Liz Kendall, I can’t see the Corbyn camp being too worried about her.

IMO probably the best the Tories have available is Theresa May. Although she’s unpopular on here I don’t think she’s universally disliked by the electorate. She’s a capable politician who keeps a low profile and therefore doesn’t have much baggage – in the eyes of the electorate.

I hope they don’t choose her. And to be fair with the exception of Cameron the Tories don’t have a good recent track record of choosing capable leaders. I hope and expect them to cock it up.

Stoner
    Free Member

I think I read that Benn has been looking for support to challenge corbyn.

Speeder

TurnerGuy – Member
    From the guardians comments section:

If Boris Johnson looked downbeat yesterday, that is because he realises that he has lost.
    Perhaps many Brexiters do not realise it yet, but they have actually lost, and it is all down to one man: David Cameron.

With one fell swoop yesterday at 9:15 am, Cameron effectively annulled the referendum result, and simultaneously destroyed the political careers of Boris Johnson, Michael Gove and leading Brexiters who cost him so much anguish, not to mention his premiership.

How?

Throughout the campaign, Cameron had repeatedly said that a vote for leave would lead to triggering Article 50 straight away. Whether implicitly or explicitly, the image was clear: he would be giving that notice under Article 50 the morning after a vote to leave. Whether that was scaremongering or not is a bit moot now but, in the midst of the sentimental nautical references of his speech yesterday, he quietly abandoned that position and handed the responsibility over to his successor.

And as the day wore on, the enormity of that step started to sink in: the markets, Sterling, Scotland, the Irish border, the Gibraltar border, the frontier at Calais, the need to continue compliance with all EU regulations for a free market, re-issuing passports, Brits abroad, EU citizens in Britain, the mountain of legistlation to be torn up and rewritten … the list grew and grew.

The referendum result is not binding. It is advisory. Parliament is not bound to commit itself in that same direction.

The Conservative party election that Cameron triggered will now have one question looming over it: will you, if elected as party leader, trigger the notice under Article 50?

Who will want to have the responsibility of all those ramifications and consequences on his/her head and shoulders?

Boris Johnson knew this yesterday, when he emerged subdued from his home and was even more subdued at the press conference. He has been out-maneouvered and check-mated.

If he runs for leadership of the party, and then fails to follow through on triggering Article 50, then he is finished. If he does not run and effectively abandons the field, then he is finished. If he runs, wins and pulls the UK out of the EU, then it will all be over – Scotland will break away, there will be upheaval in Ireland, a recession … broken trade agreements. Then he is also finished. Boris Johnson knows all of this. When he acts like the dumb blond it is just that: an act.

The Brexit leaders now have a result that they cannot use. For them, leadership of the Tory party has become a poison chalice.

When Boris Johnson said there was no need to trigger Article 50 straight away, what he really meant to say was “never”. When Michael Gove went on and on about “informal negotiations” … why? why not the formal ones straight away? … he also meant not triggering the formal departure. They both know what a formal demarche would mean: an irreversible step that neither of them is prepared to take.

All that remains is for someone to have the guts to stand up and say that Brexit is unachievable in reality without an enormous amount of pain and destruction, that cannot be borne. And David Cameron has put the onus of making that statement on the heads of the people who led the Brexit campaign.

Was just about to post this – sounds plausible and if it’s even half true, sounds like CMD may have played a blinder. He’s gone up in my estimations – though that’s not hard.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I think I read that Benn has been looking for support to challenge corbyn.

I heard that too.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Does it matter?

The Tories have done themselves in. The winners have set unrealistic expectations that cannot be met (by definition) and will be responsible for the aggravation that is to follow/come. History is unlikely to treat them kindly.

Those Turkey’s who are left will not be fooled twice. If labour do the sensible thing – find a leader – they should be a shoe-in. If they miss and another open goal, then one is left to tear one’s hair out. It certainly is a sorry state of affairs.

The next leaders will end up v unpopular indeed. And they probably deserve it.

aracer
    Free Member

I presume that means you think she’s electable 😉

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/jun/25/hilary-benn-jeremy-corbyn-labour-leadership-eu-referendum-brexit

Not clear that he’s after the job himself from that, but the implication is obvious and TBH he seems the obvious leader in waiting – I’d only expect him to be putting himself forwards if he thought he could/would win in 2020.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

sounds plausible and if it’s even half true, sounds like CMD may have played a blinder.

Yes it’s plausible but the author, whoever they are, appears to have an obvious bias.

Here is an article which completely contradicts the claims in that anonymous article and appears to be written from a much more neutral perspective. And to be frank sounds far more plausible imo.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/jun/25/article-50-brexit-debate-britain-eu

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

aracer – Member

ernie_lynch » I hope they don’t choose her.

I presume that means you think she’s electable

Electable is not a term which I use, I think it’s meaningless, but yes, of course if you mean that she has more voter appeal than the other candidates. Wasn’t that clear ?

I don’t know why you threw in a link about Corbyn. I know the Blairites think he’s “unelectable”. And you know what my views are on the matter.

And to fair to the Blairites their claims that Corbyn is “unelectable” is based on his supposed policies, most concede that his appeal is based on on the fact that he comes across as a normal likable guy – not a politician.

user-removed
    Free Member

sounds like CMD may have played a blinder.

Sounds to me more like he’s lived up to his reputation as a weasly **** but that’s politics I suppose.

somafunk

Hilary Benn has just been sacked by Corbyn, well that was quick 😯

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

That article is full of holes. If you don’t believe the claim made in my link that he has actually done Johnson and Gove a favour, and instead believe the premise made in that article, then the “poison chalice” applies equally to any other of his successors, including his mate Osborne. Any Tory leader after him who ignores the referendum result is finished.

Cameron might be a weasly **** but he isn’t going to screw the Tory Party as a final leaving act.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

well that was quick

It took about 6 months didn’t it ?

aracer
    Free Member

To me, yes, was just clarifying for those who may not totally understand your views.

I don’t know why you threw in a link about Corbyn.

Was supposed to be referring to Benn’s coup, I added some text which should have made it more clear.

philxx1975
    Free Member

Can I ask a question?

Where’s his mate George

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I added some text which should have made it more clear.

Well I hadn’t read your edit until now.

kimbers

Cameron might be a weasly **** but he isn’t going to screw the Tory Party as a final leaving act.

I dunno if he thinks it’s Bojo in charge, he may just stick the boot in.
    He has no legacy now, everything he has or will do has been overshadowed by this 1 huge mistake.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 357 total)

The topic ‘Cameron resigns – which goon will replace him?’ is closed to new replies.