Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Camera traps – wildlife, not cars
  • thepurist

Anyone got knowledge/experience of these and able to recommend something decent that won’t break the bank? It’ll probably be left in an area of private woodland for about a week at a time & we’d ideally want something that might record small beasties like voles as well as deer & fox.

CountZero

This is the one you’ll see the pro’s using on TV wildlife programmes, in fact I was watching one being used on Beeb 2 tonight by Gordon Buchanan this afternoon.
    http://www.uttings.co.uk/p109973-bushnell-trophy-cam-hd-brown-12301/#.U49P_dq9KK0

burko73

Ive used the Bushnell Tropy HD with the blackflash for covert monitoring of woodland etc for wildlife purposes. Uttings above seem to have deals on them now and again but I think I went and got mine from amazon. the new one has a viewer built in otherwise the old ones just remove the sd card and view on a camera with sd slot. they are really good for video if set up correctly, prob better than stills.

footflaps

I’m waiting for Triggertrap to arrive, I sponsored it on Kickstarter: http://triggertrap.com

burko73

the one that the 2nd post links to is the one with a normal flash. you’ll see it go off at night. the one in the simon king vid has the black IR flash and won’t be seen going off at night. best pay a little more for the IR flash as if you get a prowler and they see it go off they may be tempted to smash up/ steal the camera.

the delux tree bracket thing is very useful as well.

also, a tip is to rub mud all over the unit (avoiding the lenses/ sensors) or do what I did and glue tree bark flaxes to the unit. It blends in to tree bark better and the roughing up of the otherwise smooth profiles of the unit helps it blend in to the outdoors no end.

Also be aware, swaying tree branches and flies will set the thing off if you’re not careful in placing it and the result will be 000’s of stills with no interest..

ninfan
    Free Member

I’ve heard of a lot of returns with the bushnells, and that the Spypoint are the bees knees

was roughly this time last year that Aldi or Lidl did a load of their own ones at about 80 quid, and they were the same as the Acorn ones above.

thepurist

Cheers all – will do a bit more research into Bushnell/Spypoint I reckon.

smurfly13
    Free Member

+1 for the Acorn range. They are invisible IR , work on AA batteries that last ages, the footage and photos are great.

They also do various models that you can set it up to text you the image when it senses something.

ninfan
    Free Member

Eh up, thought I wasn’t far off – The Aldi cameras are on again next Thursday

redstripe
    Free Member

I got a Swann Outback one in Maplins for £80, think it’s a bit more now, works fine, lasts ages and good quality pics. You might see something you don’t want to of course….

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Camera traps – wildlife, not cars’ is closed to new replies.