Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • camera mount for bars
  • swiss01
    Free Member

my oh kindly bought me an x170 camera thingy for christmas. while the camera itself is rather nice the quality of attachments lacks somewhat. not least the ‘bar mount’. not only does it not fit even my wee-est bars, let alone anything of any diameter, i would reckon in the scottish coldness it’ll last about five minutes taking it on and off.

is there/has anyone used a bar mount that’ll fit a standard camera thread and can be used/is effective on an oversized bar?

druidh
    Free Member

Trekster
    TheBrick
    Free Member

Just a point but I always find bar mounted footage terrible, showing all vibrations and being swung side to side with balance and steering.

The body is a natural stabilisation unit so head and chest mounts give better results from a views point of view. Never seen any good bar mounted vids.

kiwijohn

I’ve got that one Trekster. Utter shite, too wobbly.

swiss01
    Free Member

brick, i tend to agree but this camera, being the size of a brick and their ‘fixing’ sytem for helmets being some form of industrial velcro i’m sticking at a bar mount until mrs swiss manufactures be some form og handy strap.

jamesb
    Free Member

Try a gorilla pod mount and twist legs around bar / stem and then to add further stability put a couple of ratchet type straps around the legs on teh bars, a bit industrial but will be stable. (my first outing with a compact digital and gorilla at NYA was OK without straps but would have been much more stable with extra straps)
    Alternatively get hold of a plastic mount bracket (eg for lights) and drill hole in base, place M6 (I think) bolt thro and you`ve got a home made basic bracket

tonyplym
    Free Member

Bracket can be easily modified to take a hex socket bolt with a standard camera tripod thread (which I think is 1/4″ BSW).

blaggers
    Free Member

I’ve got one of these:-

Manfrotto Clamp

It will clamp onto most tube diameters on a bike. Still needs a small ballhead attaching as you cant gaurantee which direction the camera will be pointing when you screw it down tightly onto the 1/4″ thread.

Also be aware of whether the tripod thread is plastic and offset from teh centre of gravity, as you might be putting a lot of load through it when riding rough stuff.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘camera mount for bars’ is closed to new replies.