Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Camera advice sought
  • Orange-Crush
    Free Member

OK, I should really be on a photography forum for this but there’s plenty photographers on here and they will understand the cycling requirement.

I pulled the trusty Finepix FII out the box yesterday to find the screen was gubbed – somehow it must have received a blow since last I used it but I don’t know how. I’m assuming it will cost more to repair than the price I paid for it and I could use more zoom anyway so it looks like a new camera for me.

I was never convinced that the colour rendition was what it should have been anyway, I’ve seen much better on here from “simpler” cameras.

A bridge type is too bulky for cycling with in my opinion so I want another compact with at least 10x zoom, dial controls (I always found shuffling through menus frustrating) and, most importantly, a viewfinder. I’m not fixated on pixel numbers. I got the Finepix as it had the reputation (not entirely deserved) of good shutter lag so that’s a requirement too.

Can anyone give me a starter for ten before I start searching the net? Any advice and experience would be appreciated.

Thanks

footflaps

Personally I like the Canon Ixus range for pocket sized compacts to ride with (fits in Roadie jersey pocket fine).

mjsmke

I prefer to just carry a heavy DSLR but thats the problem with studying photography at uni.

For compacts the Canon IXUS range as said above and the Panasonic Lumix range are probably the best all rounders ive used. Light, decent sharp lenses, some have more control than others but most will have the dial for main shooting modes.

AlexSimon

The 10x zoom is the compromise. You’ll be giving up low light performance and overall sharpness to achieve it.
    That’s where I would personally differ.

That said, there is a long zoom canon SX220 which I’ve recommended in the past which is pretty good. Was £145 on amazon at the time.

Orange-Crush
    Free Member

Thanks but neither Lumix nor IXUS seem to have a viewfinder. Absolute slimness is not essential – as long as it does not have a lens poking out I would have a bulkier compact to get the facilities I want.

rOcKeTdOg

i have a lumix TZ10, excellent camera apart from the self timer, only 2 or 10 secs whereas canons have upto 30 secs, invaluable for self shots (lots of solo rides)

Orange-Crush
    Free Member

I suppose I could go less than 10x but I definitely need more than the 3x on the Fuji.

mjsmke

If you want an optical viewfinder on a compact your limited to about 4 cameras.

cumbrianmonkey
    Free Member

Canon G11 or G12. Only 5xoptical zoom but has a viewfinder, and isn’t too big. Excellent results too.

kiwijohn

The G12 is the size of a house brick.
    I went for the slightly smaller Fuji X10.

cumbrianmonkey
    Free Member

I don’t know much about the Fuji but have personal experience of the G12 so I can’t compare however size wise it seems like they’re pretty much identical from what i can see? Canon 112 x 76 x 48 mm and Fuji 117 x 70 x 57 mm. So it would seem if you got both you could start building a wall…

kiwijohn

The Fuji is still 3/4 of a brick, but probably the smallest with a viewfinder.

street
    Free Member

I got myself a Canon S95 for when I’m out biking or in the mountains. Its small, good image quality and is pretty much bombproof! Mines taken a battering with me dropping on it, falling on it etc..

No viewfinder and the zoom is lacking though! Apart from that its a great piece of kit.

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

I’ve got the X10 and its a brilliant camera, can thoroughly recommend it

hunta
    footflaps

For cycling, I find I don’t use the view finder, most of my shots with the Ixus are taken whilst riding and the screen is better for that. If I’m on an MTB, I’ll have a DSLR (D7000) in my Camelbak and the Ixus on a lanyard round my neck. On the road bike, I just carry the Ixus, and take photos from the saddle:

The Algarve – Steep climbs by brf, on Flickr

Tracey

We have just updated or old Fuji with a Fuji F770EXR. Got it from Tescos using the 2 for 1 voucher offer so it cost us £134 of vouchers. Very impressed with it so far.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Camera advice sought’ is closed to new replies.