Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Cam belt snapped!!!
  • TheFunkyMonkey
    Free Member

Van died on The motorway last Wednesday, just found out its the cambelt. It’s a 2.2hdi citron relay, 04 reg.

I’m almost certain I have paperwork showing that it was changed just before I bought it by a main dealer. Would have been approx 70k miles in 2009. Van is now on 105k, so it’s premature if it was indeed done. Haven’t got it to hand just now. I’m still waiting for a call back from the service manager to see if they have a record of it. Assuming they have, is there any way they are liable? I’m looking at the thick end of a grand worse case scenario, min 500 Quid.

wisepranker
    Free Member

You might be lucky but I can’t imagine any dealer warranting a cambelt after 3 years and 35k miles.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

I’m still waiting for a call back from the service manager

he’s still laughing at you request, when he composes himself enough to call you back, he will

michaelbowden

Totally depends on the cause of the belt snapping.

If it is a genuine belt failure then you should have a good chance at some help. A lot of shouting at Citroen UK for this. The belt is designed to last many times that mileage so early failure wouldn’t be deemed unreasonable under the sale of goods act.

If it has failed due to another component eg water pump(unless this was also changed with the belt) or external influence eg oil leak then no chance I’m afraid.

The dealer will need to give you a very specific reason for failure

trail_rat
    Free Member

Anything else replaced with the belt ?

Youll probaby find the belt snapped because a tensioner or water pump lunched its self.

I had that recently on a golf -( was waiting for that to go or the head gasket to die completely so wasnt fussed)

br
    Free Member

My Beemer snapped its belt last year, due to a seized waterpump – it also took with it the pulley, housing and fan.

Luckily it was a chain, so no engine issues, although that would be why it’s never been changed… 🙄

trail_rat
    Free Member

why did having a chain mean there was no engine issues when it snapped ?

wasnt yours the 535i ? m30 v8 engine perchance …. the one with the buttons on the pistons for the valves to clear the piston – hence why no engine issues despite the chain snapping – although after speaking to my bmw friend across the desk he tells me thats not why those reliefs are there…. its for when its working, its still an interferance engine if the timing belt goes…. you got lucky it sounds like

– i like v8s 😀

Rockhopper
    Free Member

A very quick Google suggests that the change interval is 100,000 miles so lets hope it was done and you have paperwork to prove it!

I have to says that incredible for a belt – my car is only 36,000.

jota180
    Free Member

deemed unreasonable under the sale of goods act.

AFAIK – Rights under SOGA are not transferable
    If the OP didn’t pay for it to be done, he has no contract of sale for that particular work and therefore no rights to claim under SOGA

trail_rat
    Free Member

it also suggests vehicles subject to lots of stop start journeys should be done much earlier…..

a quick google also points to the 2.2 HDI fitted to other vehicles being noted as having issues with the cambelt being exposed to the elements and snapping early. – look on the RAC forums.

mega
    Free Member

commiseration’s mate

they’re not called shitroens for no reason

fourbanger
    Free Member

they’re not called shitroens for no reason

🙄

enfht
    Free Member

No comeback of 3 years have passed imo.

chrisdiesel
    Free Member

Hi , I work for citroen UK , TBA belts snapping on 2.2 relays are rare and when it’s been stripped and investigated you will probably find that a tentioner not a belt has given way , In box me where in the UK you are ?

hora
    Free Member

Chrisdiesel whats usually the best citroen engine to go for reliabiltywise?

OP is it worth repairing? I.e bushes, service etc etc need doing soon

br
    Free Member

why did having a chain mean there was no engine issues when it snapped ?

‘cos the belt only drives the ancillaries.

Chain didn’t snap, but ‘cos its a chain it means you don’t change the belt and consequentially the water pump…

Yes was the V8. Autobox went in the summer, so I’ve a 3.0i X-Type now.

chrisdiesel
    Free Member

Hora , in my opinion , 1.6 hdi (dv6) or older 2.0 hdi both great Diesel engines that ford / Volvo / Mazda use and change its name .

trail_rat
    Free Member

If its interfearance engine which is suspect the 2.2 is then i wouldnt bother fixing it . Cheaper to drop a new engine in ( with new cambelt and waterpump 😉

trail_rat
    Free Member

And ford change the ancillarys too dont they or are the transits not on french engine ?

Marko

in my opinion , 1.6 hdi (dv6) or older 2.0 hdi both great Diesel engines that ford / Volvo / Mazda use and change its name .

1.6 HDi engines have a habit of eating the turbo charger. Unless you know the full service history of any vehicle using this engine run away. Regular oil changes are critical on these.

Hth
    Marko

chrisdiesel
    Free Member

The ford (puma) engine out of the new transit is in the latest Peugeot / citroens big commercial vehicles and isn’t good at all .

chrisdiesel
    Free Member

Marko yes , they do kill turbos if not serviced correctly , the oil pump has a filter / gauze that becomes clogged if not serviced correctly / correct oil used / ran low , but to be fare , 2 year or 20000 miles servicing is a lot to ask from 3.5 litres or oil and most people don’t check the oil once between servicing . You can distroy anything if your stupid enough !!!

hora
    Free Member

Chrisdiesel cheers

lasty
    Free Member

35k for a cambelt should be nothing ….
    HOWEVER ….
    I bought a FIAT Strada off a mate with 56k on the clock. History said it had the cam belt replaced at 40k, needless to say the belt shredded 2 weeks later. Undaunted i replaced the broken bits and managed another 34k before the belt snapped again.
    I asked around at a Fiat dealership and was astounded to find they recommend a change every 30,000 miles ……

F I A T = Fix It Again Time …… never !!

molgrips
    Free Member

If its interfearance engine which is suspect the 2.2 is

All diesels are.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Cam belt snapped!!!’ is closed to new replies.