Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Cam Belt
  • jon1973
    Free Member

Just put the car in for a service, and they've said given the milage of the car (67k) it is due to have the cam-belt replaced (cost c£150-£200).

They're not saying it's warn, just that it's about time.

Does this sound right? cost / milage?

It's a Hyundai Matrix 1.6 petrol.

cheers

wwaswas

it'll be int he service book but a lot of cars have to have them changed at about that point – my advice is to go ahead.

Alfa's need their cambelts every 4.3 miles or they let go in a big way – mine cost £2500 to put right when it went…

coffeeking
    Free Member

67K is a fairly decent time to get out of a cam belt, dont think I've ever seen change schedules longer than 72K, so it's not far off. Belts don't tend to look overly worn before they fail. The bit that's reinforcing the rubber is inside the belt, it can fatigue badly and only leave some very minor evidence on the surface before taking your engine with it when it goes. Belt manufacturers usually spec a time as well, say 72K or 5 years, whichever comes first, as materials degrade just through use and heat etc. £150-200 is a good price for a belt change, sounds like you have a fairly decent garage there.

bristolbiker
    Free Member

Cam belt intervals from 60k onwards are pretty much the norm, depending on engine, so yeah – sounds about right.

It may not look worn at all, but the consequences and cost of a cam belt failure will be wwaaayyyy more than the £200 quoted to change it.

Junkyard
    Free Member

about right and a reasonable price depending on worlk – £300 for mine but a ball ache to get at it. Check manual – usually circa 75 k but it depends on car. Is trhe car in good nick or are you just running it into the ground?

jon1973
    Free Member

Is trhe car in good nick or are you just running it into the ground?

Fairly decent, I want to keep hold of it for at least a couple of years.

They've just come back with a price of £208, so I'm going to get it done.

A stitch in time and all that…

Thanks for the advice.

bigsurfer
    Free Member

You should check with the owners manual or Hyundi as lots of cars are upto 80,000 miles between cam belt changes, no point in changing it early unless it looks worn.

br
    Free Member

You might also want to get various other bits changed at the same time, pulleys/pumps/bolts etc.

Often water-pumps are recommended on some cars.

29erKeith
    Free Member

Alfa revised the Cam belt interval in a lot of their engines,
    the new interval for my other half's 147 is now 37K 😯

It needs it pretty soon too 🙁
    also needs the Variator doing too another £100
    and it needs new bloody tyres too another £400
    bloody cars!

Have a look on here loads of info
    £150-£200 sounds cheap tbh probably not a full job as some others have said

here's the relevant extract from the above site

We will do this for £300 including Cam belt, cam belt tensioner, idler, balancer shaft belt, balancer shaft tensioner, fitting and VAT. If the car needs a variator (this is the device that adjusts the timing of the inlet camshaft and makes a sound like a diesel on start up when worn), it will cost an extra £95 inclusive of VAT.

surfer
    Free Member

Alfa's need their cambelts every 4.3 miles or they let go in a big way – mine cost £2500 to put right when it went.

Costly if they go! Changed the belt on Mrs Surfers 147 at 40k.
    You cant detect wear so dont go for the "inspection" bit I would recommend sticking closely to the manufacturers guidelines.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Cam Belt’ is closed to new replies.