Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Calling the skiers… Campitello – any good for a beginner?
  • gearfreak
    Free Member

Seen a good deal in Campitello, however going with Mrs Gearfreak who has only been skiing a couple of times.(Last time about 3 years ago, she could ski reds, but not confidently)

Piste maps of Campitello and Canazie don’t show many blues (or any greens)

Are the reds easy graded, or should I look elsewhere?

andytherocketeer

Belvedere plateau up at Canazei is largely a big open playground, with many beginners. Much of it could be graded blue, with just the top sections coming over the ridge from Arabba being a bit steeper.

The 2 runs that link Canazei and Campitello are not difficult.

edit: the area around the top of the Campitello lift is not difficult either, and the 1st run heading towards Selva is a long flat blue.

If the lift queue at Campitello is insane, hop on the bus 5mins to Canazei and go up the gondola there.

nickjb
    Free Member

Not been but looking at the ski map I’d say it was a poor choice. The skiing is probably fine (Italian reds are often really blues) but you’ll be committed to full days out. Look for a resort with runs that go right into town, much better if one of you wants to finish early or fancies a long lunch.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Not been but looking at the ski map I’d say it was a poor choice.

Agreed.

Italian reds are often really blues

Not so sure! I’ve skied some Italian blues that were edgy as you like!

Look for a resort with runs that go right into town, much better if one of you wants to finish early or fancies a long lunch.

Again, not so sure. Look for one with good beginner slopes, and ideally with nice cafes at the foot of those beginner slopes. Far better to find somewhere with good skiing and rest stops and then, if need be, download at the end of the day with tired legs!

andytherocketeer

San Cassiano or Corvara might be a better choice. Both are linked in to the same area. Loads of marked blues that really are blue.

stumpy01

I’ve only been once…..so would say I’m a beginner. We went to the Stubai glacier in Austria. Stayed in Neustift. It had a good mix of easy stuff & harder stuff for my friend who is more advanced.

Loved it, but don’t have anything to compare it too.

We stayed in the Schönherr Haus and had a hire car for the 10 min drive. There is a regular bus service though from the town.

hammerite
    Free Member

Ask me in 4 weeks time as I’ll have just got back from Arabba.

enmac
    Free Member

We went to Canazei last year after many years going to the Alps and was pleasantly surprised. The pistes marked as reds are more like blues so I wouldn’t worry about them being too hard. There isn’t a lot of off-piste, but that doesn’t sound as though that would be too much of a problem. You have the challenge of doing the Sella Ronda by the end of the week – should be doable by most intermediate skiers, anti-clockwise is easier. Oh and prices are cheaper than the Alps, which is nice.

gearfreak
    Free Member

Thanks for the advice. Decided to go for Paso Tonale instead. Smaller area, but should be better for Mrs GF. Slightly cheaper as well. Roll on Jan 12th!

nickjb
    Free Member

Passing tonale is a good choice. Not the prettiest town but good skiing with a nice variety.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Calling the skiers… Campitello – any good for a beginner?’ is closed to new replies.