• This topic has 52 replies, 39 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by gogg.
Viewing 13 posts - 41 through 53 (of 53 total)
  • Calling the fish & chip experts to the forum
  • Mikeypies
    Free Member

Heston Blumentel did fish and chips in his persuit of perfection program I would look up his book or see if the info is on the net.

patriotpro
    Free Member

if using frozen fish

OP – just wipe this possibility from your mind before it has chance to register.

johndoh
    Free Member

And the chips should also be soaked in water for a few hours to get some starch out.

But for perfect chips, cook slowly under a low heat, remove, smoke the oil and flash them to make them golden, then sprinkle *lightly* with a bit of salt immediately so it absorbs into the chips and helps them stay crispy.

Until you blather them in non-brewed condiment that is.

Yum.

sandwicheater

Can’t say I ever notice the difference between Cod or Haddock. It’s all good provided you’ve earned it. Nice day walking/riding/grafting followed by Fish & Chips, nom nom nom.

slowoldman

Assuming you mean of the adult beverage variety??

No. I meant mushy peas.

To drink? Well that would be tea or dandelion & burdock.

jonahtonto
    Free Member

don’t think Rio Grande catfish or rainbow trout would do the trick

i think catfish would work well. i would rather go fresh meaty catfish than limp frozen cod

my top tip- a little boullion powder in the batter mix

seosamh77
    Free Member

haddock or whiting up here but cod is just as nice, they aren’t really all that different. I prefer breaded myself. If making it myself, chucking some fennel seeds in the oil is nice 🙂

nbt

Assuming you mean of the adult beverage variety??

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oP-p6H0E0QU[/video]

slowoldman

Precisely nbt.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

My Grandad used to make the best chips i’ve ever had. He had this old chip pan with lard/dripping. I don’t know how old the dripping was and how often he changed it but he swore blind that older dripping made better chips. The chips were never greasy and always nice and fluffy inside.

johndoh
    Free Member

To drink? Well that would be tea or dandelion & burdock.

Give that man a drink.

When I was a little ‘un, our task was to go to the chip shop. If we did we could watch Match of the Day. We could also choose the drink. And of course it was always Dandelion and Birdmuck.

🙂

konabunny
    Free Member

I thought it was of jewish origin?

Did you listen to the same radio 4 thing as I did? Some guy saying f and c was the perfect London refugee ethnic mashup dish because it’s Huguenot chips and Sephardic Jewish fried fish? (TBH frying fish isn’t rocket surgery so I doubt anyone’s got an exclusive claim on it).

gogg
    Free Member

Double fry the chips

Heresy, Triple cooked is the way to chip perfection.

Viewing 13 posts - 41 through 53 (of 53 total)

The topic ‘Calling the fish & chip experts to the forum’ is closed to new replies.