Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Calling the car running costs economists.
  • one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

Trying to establish whether its worth trying to change my current petrol volvo for a diesel.

Current car is a 2001 plate V70 T5 (2.3 turbo) 167k on the clock, drinks a little oil. Trip computer recons mpg is anywhere between 26.5 – 28.5 depending on how im driving. I recon on miles / fuel calcs its 25 at best.

Now I have been offered a V70 D5 awd (54) 56k miles £10k give or take before trade in on mine (about tuppence ha’penny)

I do about 30miles a day / 150 miles a week urban and A road commute (30-40mins). Plus a few miles for work a month,, a few more riding etc and a total of around 10k a year ish.

Insurance wise the 163bhp Diesel will actually cost me about £100 a year more than the 250bhp petrol (mostly because the car is new to me – regardless of the fact its nearly identical and slower) however I imagine this will drop to a similar if not lower level than the T5 in the end.

The current volvo is fed super so similar price to diesel. Obviously will get a few more miles to the gallon on diesel than petrol however will that be offset by the servicing / running costs (never owned a diesel).

At 56k miles it’ll be keep for a long time (prob to 150k or death) so the initial outlay will be spread over a long time frame.

I think VED will be similar.

Hmmm?

wwaswas

unless you need the awd bit you’re hauling a lot of weight and technology around with you that you don’t need. It will add to both runnign and service costs.

molgrips
    Free Member

Servicing and running costs won’t (or shouldn’t) really be higher with a diesel. Injectors are the only thing, and they should last a really really long time. There’s a turbo that might fail but your old car had one too.

I think VED will be similar

I bet it won’t be.

MostlyBalanced
    Free Member

You’re talking about spending £10k to save a few hundred a year in fuel?
    Do we really need to do the calculations to show that it’s going to be a very looooong time before you’re any better off. If ever.
    If the car’s just a utility to you then stick with the cheapest that’ll do the job.

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

RE: AWD – well my current volvo is FWD only and has a tendancy to wheel spin, and I do take it off road in terms of on to un paved sites, fields etc for work so 4 wheel drive would be useful I think.

VED on the D5 is £245 compared with £205 for the T5.

Current volvo is nearly at 170k. Its had two careful owners; me and the police. Its had a top end rebuild and most of the main engine seals done and it still leaks oil. Just getting to the point of trading it in while its still worth more than the scrap value.

I would be looking to keep the new ovlov 5-10 years I imagine.

totalshell

scrap value around 250 at the moment..

molgrips
    Free Member

Does it have to be that Volvo then? Seems an expensive car to run.

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

Well…

Out of everything I’ve driven i’ve always got on with it. Really like how they drive. Handles well, plenty of powers when you need them. Get two DH bikes in the back wheels on with ease. Can fill them to the ceiling with site gear and they drive like they are empty etc.

I know I should really buy a cheap shit diesel. But Im not sure I can after 5 years of ovlov ownership.

molgrips
    Free Member

You shouldn’t fix on the idea that one make of car is the best one.. there are many great cars out there – and even if they feel odd at first they are often just different.

I’d not want a car that was not as economical as possible. Diesel ain’t gonna be any cheaper in 10 years time…

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

Yeah I understand that, don’t get me wrong I do like volvo’s. I have driven other stuff and I do really like the driving position and feel of the V70. Even compared to the BMw’s and Merc’s.

Ok my commute isnt huge and I dont do as many miles for work as I did, but I still spend and hour to an hour and a half a day in it so I’d like something I like to drive is comfy. I suffer with back probs and the lumbar support in volvo seats is ace.

As for economy – yes I need it to be more efficient but I still want some poke. Going to be hard enough letting go of the old T5 racing estate 😛

tonyg2003

Yes your running costs will be lower with the newer car…..but…add in derpreciation (so many people seem to ignore this) and the new car will always cost way more than the old car or a string of bangernomics.

To me it just depends whether you fancy a newer car 🙂

molgrips
    Free Member

Economical and reasonably quick isn’t that hard to achieve with diesels.

Official figure for that car is 39.8 in 2011 version, which is pretty poor tbh.

Martin.B
    Free Member

when you factor in depreciation and total running costs
    The cheapest car will always be the one you already own

tron
    Free Member

I reckon you’d probably spend a tenner less a week on fuel.

That’s £500 a year with a couple of weeks off on holidays etc.

So, assuming all other things are equal, you’re looking at a payback time on the new car of around 20 years.

If it were me, I think I’d stick.

Diesel servicing costs are the same, except for when they’re not – I’d expect a derv of that age to have a Dual Mass Flywheel. DMFs break and cost a lot of wedge to fix.

molgrips
    Free Member

It’s not only about economics is it? Otherwise an knackered old heap would be the best car for everyone. There are other advantages to newer cars.

DMFs can break yes but that’s a repair cost not a service item. Lots of things can go at any time and cost a lot – diesels have a couple more items that’s all.

br
    Free Member

Why put Super in, normal UL should be fine – that’ll save you a £1 a week 🙂

tbh I’d run the T5 until its uneconomical to fix – I’ve a 535i in comparison, older than yours but value probably about the same – that’s my plan.

And as for reliable cheap to run diesels, my wifes’ cost us £1200 for new injectors (at 65k)… while I’ve never ever had a problem with injectors in petrol cars, even upto 200k.

stevemtb
    Free Member

I’d say that all depends on the trade in you’re getting offered.

If it’s poor you’re as well hanging on. The Volvo’s don’t depreciate as bad as some of the cars out there. I think the 4wd D5s will still be sought after in years to come so if you don’t put a huge amount of miles on it it won’t drop too quickly.

Sounds like you should keep hold of the T5 until until something goes properly wrong and isn’t worth fixing. It could be a long time until that happens with the mileage these things get up to!

Keep it, keep it, keep it!! The D5s are nice and do sound a bit V8ish when driven hard but it’s no substitute to the lurvly five cylinder petrol (I’ve got an 850 T5-R that I keep thinking would be sensible to sell on but it’s still here).

Also, there’s nothing to say a younger car with c.100k less miles is going to be more reliable. Might be worth looking to see if you can get a newer T5 wagon with LPG. They tend to be cheaper than the D5s.

boblo
    Free Member

DMF’s part of the clutch assembly which is really a wear item. Like tyres, just a bit longer term. Trouble is, if you have to have a new clutch on a car with a DMF, the whole lot usually gets done for £££’s. Add in the EGR, DPF, injectors etc and I’m convinced diesels don’t now make sense when considering long term cost of ownership…

I’d forget the fuel cost. Unless it’s doing 5mpg, it’s unlikely to be your biggest outlay. Depreciation and big repairs are the kiddies especially with diesels.

tron
    Free Member

Lots of things can go at any time and cost a lot – diesels have a couple more items that’s all.

Not really. Most cars have a cam belt, which will cost you £150 to change with the waterpump. Keep on top of that every 40/60k, and your basics – ie, oil and coolant, and a decent car isn’t likely to throw out big bills.

The difference is that it seems that the DMF WILL go sooner or later and it will be expensive to fix. Beyond that the fuel systems are pretty sensitive and you can expect to be spending more on brakes because diesel engines tend to be heavier.

I’d much sooner save on the purchase cost (£1-2K by the looks of Autotrader), and spend a extra few quid a week than play chicken with the flywheel.

jam-bo

You’ve clearly already decided your going to buy the new car and you want reassurance your doing the right thing.

Buy the car.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Calling the car running costs economists.’ is closed to new replies.