Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Calling Scott Scale riders!
  • Robertwilkinson
    Free Member

Thinking of buying Scott scale 30. What’s it ride like? Have ridden a longer reach xc bike like whyte 19c. Also trail orientated bikes like giant anthem which have slacker head and more ‘sit-up’

How would you compare the Scale? More trail than xc?

The-Beard

I’ve got a Scale 30. It’s a race bike, built for speed. Arse up head doon.

neninja
    Free Member

A mate has one and it’s is very racey – stretched out with lots of weight on your hands.

I’ve ridden it and didn’t like it. It felt like pedalling through custard which doesn’t make sense given it’s an XC race bike. I guess the geometry just didn’t suit me.

I previously had an Giant XTC Composite and Anthem X, both of which I found perfect. I guess they just fit me better.

onewheelgood

I’ve never heard an Anthem being described as ‘slack’ before. It’s more like a Scale with rear suspension.

rusty90
    Free Member

Pretty much race geometry – 71/73.5 head/seat angles, 38″ wheelbase, light and stiff. Very fast uphill, very ‘interesting’ downhill. Not the bike to choose for a relaxing all-day pootle over steep, rocky terrain, but great fun to ride (especially if you’ve got wrists of steel).

Robertwilkinson
    Free Member

“Slack” angle of the forks comes from my ride of a Five which is more like an anthem and more of a trail bike, compared to the xc whyte.

Does the scale have a longer reach than an anthem?

squiff
    Free Member

My beast, love it, fast as.

Arse up head doon

olie
    Free Member

You really need to look at that seat angle^^^^^^^^

Scale is very fast and lots of fun, just change the bars!

squiff
    Free Member

olie

Yes i know it looks strange/wrong, but it works for me and its very comfortably like that

dyls

I have a scale 20 and an anthem x and like both bikes. Around the marin trail they are pretty equal time wise for me, but i prefer the anthem on more bumpy trails like coed y brenin. I use the scale more for back door rides which includes a mix of everything.

legend
    Free Member

Sure you weren’t riding a Trance? My Five is 66 degrees, even with a 120mm fork my Anthem was still over 70

rollindoughnut
    Free Member

I set the saddle on my Scale in a similar if slightly less extreme way. It’s great for xc races as it straightens my back and puts more weight through my arms.

The Scale is a surprisingly capable bike and I’ve used it on some pretty wild and rocky descents. You definitely need to be brave though if doing this!
    It’s a race bike so it’s agile, light, stiff and tricky to ride sometimes. I absolutely love it but opt for my Blue Pig if going for a play.

I wouldn’t advise it as a general purpose bike at all.

Robertwilkinson
    Free Member

Thanks. V helpful. I’m use to trail riding fun rather than strava chasing xc so may look elsewhere. Bargain at paulscycles at £1300!

The-Beard

I wouldn’t advise it as a general purpose bike at all.

It’s my only MTB so I use it for everything from racing to trail centres to big days out in the hills. It is stretched out so I find I do have to concentrate on lifting the front end over things that normally you’d find yourself barrelling through on a bike with more travel and slacker angles. I do genuinely love it, it’s fast and fun and has been said before, very capable.

Robertwilkinson
    Free Member

thanks for all the feedback. everyone thankfully resisted wading in with defending their own bikes, which we all love don’t we.

decided fast xc racer not the style for a 46 yr old living in malvern. might just go retro steel HT. safe!

grtdkad

Trail friendly, carbon hardtail at <£1500? Should you not be looking at one of Rotherham’s finest?

http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/FBOOC456V2/on_one_456_x9_carbon_mountain_bike

X9 spec OnOne 456 ! Surely!?

Robertwilkinson
    Free Member

You might have a point grtkad. maybes I should do a frame swap out with this:

On One 456 carbon 26

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Calling Scott Scale riders!’ is closed to new replies.