Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Calling car audio people, what do I need to power this…?
  • loddrik
    Free Member

Just got one of these in an enclosure. What type of amp do I need to power it? Channels/power etc?

toppers3933
    Free Member

One of what?

toppers3933
    Free Member

You need an amp with a sub output. Either a designated sub amp or a multi channel amp with a sub channel. Ideally this will be tied to a head unit with line outputs. Some head units also have a designated sub output which is often meant to go to the sub input on an amp.
    I’m sure someone will be along shortly to tell you that I’m talking shit. It’s a few years since I was up on the latest and greatest.

trail_rat
    Free Member

A saxo ?

geoffj

A saxo ?

😆

TheFlyingOx

A bog standard 2x200w amp will do. Maplins do something suitable for very little money (compared to “brand” amps). Don’t skimp on power cable – 10 gauge should do it for the size of amp you need. Amp wiring kits come with a fuse for a reason. Use it, and put it closer to the battery than the amp. And wire up direct to the battery, not some 12v switched power wire you found under the dashboard. Earth it to some part of the body, I’ve always used one of the bolts holding the rear seatbelt anchor fitting thing. Don’t skimp on speaker cable either – the wires that come with normal amp wiring kits are probably too weak. For the price of a couple of metres, it’s worth a trip to the local hifi shop. Wire it up +ve from the left channel, -ve from the right.

The above has all been learned the hard (and expensive) way in my youth.

gonzy
    Free Member

i concur with what Toppers and the Ox say.
    i’ve got a full pioneer setup that i’m going to be selling soon consisting of a head unit with remote, 12 disc changer with spare disc cartidge, amp and 6×9 4 way speakers.
    i may split for the right price.
    if you’re interested drop me an email and i’ll dig out the model numbers and some pics

milky1980
    Free Member

Is that a 2 ohm sub? If it is you’ll need to be careful on picking the right amp to run it as they’re designed to power a 4 ohm load. 2 ohm speakers are designed to be run in pairs wired in series to the amp so they present a 4 ohm load to it.

Used to run JL subs back when I was young, had two separately driven 12WOv2’s. Lovely when driven low and hard.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Calling car audio people, what do I need to power this…?’ is closed to new replies.