Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Calling all van owners
  • Soup
    Free Member

Just bought my first van. Best thing I've done in ages! However, what's the collective opinion – black out the rear window so nobody can see what you've got, or leave it clear, so that when it's empty, the scumbags can see there's nothing worth nicking?

shermer75
    Free Member

Mine's got no window + been broken into about three times….

sweepy
    Free Member

Do what the professional drivers do- leave it empty with the back doors wide open 🙂

ton

bike nicked out of mine last week.

skidartist
    Free Member

With mine its windows boarded rather than just blacked out (with window film you can just pull the window seal off and lift the glass out and open the door from the inside).

I used to leave the glass clear for a while and with it being quite a tall van (sprinter) any stuff I did need to leave in it could be sat close to the back doors – if you peaked in it looked empty. Not the case with bikes obviously.

People will break into vans just to see if there is anything in there. Better to let them see that its empty if you routinely keep it empty, or armour up a bit. Putting some film over the window does neither.

I've got ply covering the windows and have Armaplate lock protectors, which cost an arm and a leg but no break-ins since I fitted them. The armaplate site is quite good for highlighting each model of van's vulnerbilities.

boxelder

They'll get in if they want.
    Leave empty or insure well.

boxelder

They'll get in if they want.
    Leave empty or insure well.
    OR, black out windows and fill with hungry Rottweilers

joe@brookscycles
    Free Member

Move to Wales, and stop worrying about it. Left my (clear window) Berlingo in the centre of town with 20k of DH bikes in it on Wednesday night, without a second thought…

donsimon
    Free Member

I suppose I'd keep them clear and possibly leave the rear doors unlocked if it's got a bulkhead. Same philosophy as my old Spitfire soft top which I never locked. I prefer that they open the door and have a sniff around rather than slash the roof to get in and leave me with a damaged car…

There was a story knocking around a few years ago abut the guy who left a note on his car saying "nothing worth nicking inside", some scrote put a brick through the window and left another note "you're right, nothing worth nicking!!".

LuckyJim
    Free Member

You could try the approach favoured by this fine local business 🙂

sturmey
    Free Member

We leave our car unlocked on the drive the other week the passenger door and boot were ajar in the morning. They had looked in senn there was nothing left with any value and gone on their way and no damage.

peteimpreza

joe@brookscycles – Member
    Move to Wales, and stop worrying about it. Left my (clear window) Berlingo in the centre of town with 20k of DH bikes in it on Wednesday night, without a second thought..

Your having a laugh right?

Try that at Glyncorrwg.

guybe
    Free Member

Have clear windows and leave nothing in the van, the chance's it will be left alone if they see through the window to find it empty, a blocked window will get them trying to break it in.

jimbobrighton
    Free Member

no windows in mine, but I make sure there are never bikes in it just in case.

Soup
    Free Member

Thanks guys. Sound advice. It's got bars fitted on the inside of the rear window and a bulkhead, so I guess I'll leave them clear. I must say, it makes bike trips a breeze compared to all that arsing about with bike racks. Should have got one years ago.

Bing
    Free Member

Mate left his van unlocked so they could take a look around, they did – found nothing so set fire to it!

Harsh around here!

project
    Free Member

Local B and Q few years ago, when all these signs started appearing NO TOOLS IN VAN OVERNIGHT, parked next to a van with a set of these on, chap said to me my mate had a set of them on his van,nothing to nick from inside,so they crowbared the back doors,and nicked the radio, and left a note on the dash board with one of the stickers,
    JUST CHECKING MATE.

Another chap parked his brand new trannie up on a bit of land behind his house,cam out the next day and theyd nicked the engine, ust cut off the wings and bonnet,to get it,Police found the engine a few months latter in a taxi in Birmingham,and a lot more in a lock up, so what ever you do, somebody wil try and take it off you.

PeteG55
    Free Member

Some quite 'funny' lines there, my van has got the steel mesh window covers and clear windows. Never leave anything in the van, seems to be fine so far. Mate of mine had his company van (no tools stickers,etc) completely done over looking for the bikes they thought he'd left inside (didn't bother with all his tools)but crowbar'd the doors open, bent the surrounding panels and the doors. Wasn't far off a write off from what I was told.

Edric64
    Free Member

You must all live in rough areas to get this much grief with vans .I have had a window smashed and the stereo nicked but nothing else .The bikes get left in it often as well

brack
    Free Member

Yeah move to Wales!!?

Your a funny chap.

That would be to the Brecons where car crime is riddiculous! Over 60 cars broken into in one day is the record so far !

DrRSwank
    Free Member

Just don't park near my house! **** van drivers!

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Calling all van owners’ is closed to new replies.