• This topic has 63 replies, 41 voices, and was last updated 15 years ago by juan.
Viewing 24 posts - 41 through 64 (of 64 total)
  • calling all those who commute by bike
  • jackthedog
    Free Member

10:30?!?! If only I could, I physically cant sleep until 1am – up at 6:30 is too unpleasant at that point.

Maybe it’s something to do with caffeine, coffeeking?

woffle
    Free Member

There is no such thing as bad weather, just the wrong clothes.

Seconded.

The money I saved in the first 2 months on petrol and parking went on some decent shorts and a softshell. At the worst this winter it was below -8 and snowing heavily. Decent boots and gloves, warm 3/4 tights, overshorts, merino baselayer and waterproof jacket – warm and toasty within 5 minutes cycling…

Del

Adam,
    your body just wants a breather. deny it. do the second day, rest the third. first few times it’ll feel hard for the first few minutes, but by the time you’ve warmed up you’ll be fine, and building on the first day to become fitter. err, i think. 🙂

juan
    Free Member

How can people save money while commuting by bike?
    WhenI started commuting in southampton the increase off food was exaclty the cost of the petrol to go working.

I try not to increase the food but start to loose weight (get under 60 kg) to the point where people ask me if I was ok as I look like a walking skeleton.

Gary_M
    Free Member

super expensive breathable jackets etc. are pointless for cycling unless you go really slow, and are overkill for commuting.

Not really true. The gore fusion jacket and gore waterproof shorts I bought last year were 2 of the best bits of kit I bought. There’s no way I’m riding 20 miles in pishing rain and gale force winds without some decent waterproofs.

hora
    Free Member

swoosh, chose a bike that is the complete opposite of your weekend ‘fun’ machine. For almost two years Ive ridden a Fuji track bike with upgraded wheels. Its strip-down basic and yet, its interesting and very economical interms of effort to pedal/ride. A very nice contrast IMO.

as you are struggling to motivate yourself (I was)- dont ride your MTB on any sort of tyres in. Its tedious, dull and such a slow drag.

MrAgreeable

the increase off food was exaclty the cost of the petrol to go working

You’ve trotted this fact-ette out before and I can only assume that

a) You were given your car
    b) You’re not paying tax, insurance or MOT, and
    c) You only eat foie gras and truffles.

cuckoo
    Free Member

Agree woffle this winter was a tough one, makes you appreciate daylight and a bit of sunshine all the more though.

I found this winter to be really enjoyable commuting. Plenty of hard frosts ensuring I arrived at work dry and clean rather than wet and muddy.

My only real regret from the winter commute was I missed the the chance to do it in the snowstorm that “prevented” others from making it in.

This time of year I find i don’t have the energy to commute and ride after work and commute the next day so i mix and match a bit. At the moment with dry dusty trails and lack of plant growth commuting isn’t getting much of a look in.

I agree with what previous posters have said though in that the only way to commute in is by actually wanting to commute by bike.

hora
    Free Member

I do query why people commute when its minus on the roads. Its not safe IMO- a combination of lower visibility, tired winter drivers and ice. **** I nutted the tarmac hard sideways when I rode over some sheet ice on the road this winter.

As a rule, when it dipped below zero after a damp night or fog- the steel thick box comes out rather than the skinny-tyred bike.

aP
    Free Member

juan – Member

Commuting to work I save:
    Sitting in traffic for up to an hour a day for 5 miles, then walking for 20 minutes to work once there.
    Sitting on the bus for 40 minutes each way.
    Catching a bus (10 minutes) then getting the tube, 30 minutes minimum.
    Having to buy diesel more often than once a month.

ebygomm
    Free Member

My only real regret from the winter commute was I missed the the chance to do it in the snowstorm that “prevented” others from making it in.

I went to work when I could have had a snow day just because I wanted a ride in the snow! Took me an hour to do the 6 miles.

My old commute required no motivation, no parking in the city centre, I never had any change for the bus and cycling was quicker.

It’s not quite so easy now, but if I don’t ride in I normally end up having to drive the other half to work as well and it ends up taking longer than the bike ride. This time of year, with a route home almost entirely off road it’s not too hard to find the motivation.

joemarshall
    Free Member

WhenI started commuting in southampton the increase off food was exaclty the cost of the petrol to go working.

That sounds like a lot? I find it costs me a couple of extra slices of bread and cheese for my sandwiches, and an extra apple, plus I probably eat slightly more at dinner time.

Plus by not having a car, I save a lot more than petrol costs.

Joe

Lootenant
    Free Member

as you are struggling to motivate yourself (I was)- dont ride your MTB on any sort of tyres in. Its tedious, dull and such a slow drag.

I’ve just found that (almost) – after giving up commuting after being overtaken by grannies on their shoppers I was re-motivated by the onset of sunshine.

Stripping down an ancient GT to the bare minimum and putting on road tyres I can’t believe how quickly I’ve been getting between home and work – the only problem is that I’m now being tempted by the idea that a road bike would be even quicker..

juan
    Free Member

You’ve trotted this fact-ette out before and I can only assume that

a) You were given your car
    b) You’re not paying tax, insurance or MOT, and
    c) You only eat foie gras and truffles.
    a) Well I already had a car so I did not bought it just to commute. Not the cas of my commuting trousers, jacket rack and soon to come pannier.
    b) French car in UK so only insurance that I had to pay anyway.
    So your two first point are only valid if you buy a car on purpose just for the 5 miles commute.
    c) Nope but I do agree I probably have different taste than you in terms of food.

Gary_M
    Free Member

cuckoo I didn’t say I didn’t enjoy it, I just said it was tough. Tough can be fun too. Worse than last year because of snow, consecutive days of sub -5 temperatures and high winds. It was pretty dry though.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Maybe it’s something to do with caffeine, coffeeking?

I thought that but despite the name I rarely ever drink coffee (or tea, or coke, or anything much come to think of it!) anymore. In fact I really should start drinking more water – normal intake at work is 1 coffee and maybe a cup of water!

To back up someone above who mentioned food costs – I think I’ve said this before too. Bearing in mind some people dont have a car only to commute, the tax/insurance/repairs for them are not a major part of the equation – especially on a cheap car – so fuel becomes the main point. And on a car that gets 55 mpg at current fuel prices I’d only have to spend 2.50 a day to match the cost fuel for my old 34 mile round trip, since thats ~2000 cals a day extra its not THAT easy to find a tastey healthy 2000 cals. That said, at the time I was spending £6-7 a day on coffees so theres an easy trade off!

Some days a ride in looks nice, some days it doesnt.

brassneck

Major limiting factor for me (17 miles each way, couple of reasonable hills) is that if I cycle every day I wouldn’t see my kids in the week for more than about 10 minutes in the evening. Plus I’d be too cream-crackered to enjoy anything at the weekend.

DaRC_L

My motivation technique for the commute has been to calculate what the petrol would cost for the commute and then pay myself that amount into a separate bike slush fund.

It also means that I have a ready response if wifey comments on the new bike stuff arriving 😉

takisawa2

I drop off the kids with a trailer first, then stash the trailer at the back of the nursery & head off myself. Total is only about 5 miles, but I reckon 6 with the effort of towing the kids for the first 2.5 miles.
    Its an easy 5 miles also, virtually no roads, all cycle paths & through the park. Probably forced into the car 1-in-10 times due to kids being ill, appointments etc.
    I find getting up & straight into biking gear (after shower) helps, otherwise I’ll wimp out of weather is poo.

GaryLake
    Free Member

I could get on board with this bike slush fund idea for sure! 😀

Lootenant: contrary to what you think, consider your local roads, a proper road bike isn’t always the best way in. By the time I’m backpacked up, the road bike is tricker to ride effectively and the Bristol Roads are atrocious. For me, using the road bike is a necessary evil for days when I’m a) running late or b) my usual offroad route is wet/muddy.

Shame, I love riding it but the roads around here just leave me feeling battered all the time. Maybe a CX or a tourer might be better but I’m at my bike count quota set down by Mrs Lake (3).

ransos
    Free Member

Hi Gary!

I’ve retired my audax bike from commuting duties for the reason you describe – it was getting trashed on the poor roads & cycle paths in Bristol. I now use a 1993 vintage Marin MTB, equipped with slicks, guards & rack. It’s still a lot quicker than my normal MTB, yet can take plenty of abuse such as potholes & kerbs. It’s also more stable with loaded panniers than my Audax bike was. This does however mean that I’m exceeding my bike quota set down by Mrs R(4). I placated her by fixing her commuting bike.

GaryLake
    Free Member

Hello Steve,

Come riding tonight you big fairy! 😉

theginjaninja
    Free Member

For me it’s either an hour a bus / tube or 10 miles on my bike.

I know what I prefer.

juan
    Free Member

Well things have changed now
    Being at work at 8h30 involves
    by car:
    Leave at 7h35
    Spend 4.20€ in toll
    Get stuck in traffic jams after exit 49 of the A8
    Burn around 3 litres of petrol.
    by train and bike:
    leave at 7h00
    Catch 7h25 (when not late/canceled) fast train to Nice in Cannes
    arrive in Nice at 7h50.
    Pit stop at the bakers get at uni at 8h00/8h10/
    Get shower and tea
    Or
    Spend 4.20€ in toll
    Get stuck in traffic jams after exit 49 of the A8
    Burn around 3 litres of petrol.
    by train and bike:
    leave at 7h15
    Catch 7h29 (when not late/canceled) cross country train to Nice in Cannes la bocca
    arrive in Nice at 8h12 (ok this one is always late so more 8h20)
    Pit stop at the bakers get at uni at 8h20/8h30
    Get shower and tea

Train cost me 57€ a month plus at the moment 1.4€ a day at bakers but I am trying to cut that down.

Viewing 24 posts - 41 through 64 (of 64 total)

The topic ‘calling all those who commute by bike’ is closed to new replies.