Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Calling all suspension guru's
  • SOAP
    Free Member

Just had a Rp23 CTD HV Boost value shock re valved at mojo.
    To M rebound, F compression, 225 boost and a medium spacer fitted in the can.
    Sag set up correctly with 4 clicks from the slowest rebound.
    First proper ride today at Afan and think ill be popping back to mojo on Monday ( working about a mile away )
    So it was still a little bit squishy on the take offs for the table tops, it also felt harsh on long descents and repeated hits.
    Any ideas?

legend
    Free Member

I’d be looking at the rebound first if it’s struggling with repeated hits.

Or possible theory is that you now don’t have enough low speed and too much high speed compression

LoCo
    Free Member

Give it another few rides for the shims to ‘bed in’ and then assess it. You need to try other pressures and settings to see if they suit better.
    Less compression damping and less air volume ( air vol spacer addition ) should address the issues and maybe a touch less rebound if packing down too much

geetee1972
    Free Member

This is what I find frustrating about air dampers on the back. They’re either too soft for stroke but right for sag or firm enough for stroke but too stiff for sag.

Maybe in this case now, the spring is ramping up aggressively whence why it feels harsh?

Also bear in mind that Mojo used to be well known for preferring a stiffer set up. If you compare their spring calculator to Mojo’s for example, it’s about 15% stiffer like for like.

mildred

This is what I find frustrating about air dampers on the back. They’re either too soft for stroke but right for sag or firm enough for stroke but too stiff for sag.

I think that’s a bit of a broad generalisation; It depends a lot on the bike design too. That said, every fox RP23 & Dhx air I’ve tried has typically matched what your saying. I’ve now got a Bos Vip’r and it has none of these issues.

OP, what bike is it on?

SOAP
    Free Member

It’s on a Pitch.

geetee1972
    Free Member

Mildred the BOS Vipr was the one air can I didn’t have this problem with. The problem I was describing though gets more noticeable the heavier you get I think.

SOAP
    Free Member

I had the trail setting on 3. And the rebound on 4 clicks from slow.
    Think I’m going to try trail setting 1 and 7 clicks on the next ride.
    Will this help?

mildred

I had the trail setting on 3. And the rebound on 4 clicks from slow.
    Think I’m going to try trail setting 1 and 7 clicks on the next ride.
    Will this help?

It doesn’t really mean anything to anyone unless they’ve tried it themselves. That is, your “4 clicks from slow” will be different to someone else’s “4 clicks from slow”: your weight, bike, spring rate, and even environmental factors can have an effect.

From your original post, It sounds like its packing down; this is usually caused by too low spring rate and too slow rebound damping.

To set your sag its essential that all compression damping is switched off and that you’re dressed exactly how you go riding, including your camel back/trail pack. Then follow this guide:

http://www.mojo.co.uk/sagsetup.html

This will pretty much dictate your spring rate. Then set your sag from here. The good old kerb test is a good starting point.

mildred

Geetee, from memory it may have been some of your comments about the Vip’r that made me curious. It’s fitted to my Helius and its fantastic.

rickon
    Free Member

Ahhh, I’m proper disappointed, my reply on the OPs original thread was almost a carbon copy of what Loco said!

But the mods pulled the thread, cause it was in the FS section.

I’m getting out of IT! 😉

mildred

This will pretty much dictate your spring rate. Then set your sag rebound from here. The good old kerb test is a good starting point.

Fixed

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Calling all suspension guru's’ is closed to new replies.