Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Calling all Rabbit owners – beware overheating!
  • gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Rabbits are especially prone to heatstroke, as in the wild they would be in their burrows.

Provide ice packs all day [2l cola bottles frozen with 10% air for expansion works well].

Hot ears are a sign of overheating – with a bowl of water wet the rabbits’ ears and nape of next thoroughly.

Put up an umbrella/sheet above the hutch to cast a shadow – don’t drape a sheet directly over it.

Electric fans can be used indoors – ENSURE the wire is out of reach.

If out of the sun, paving slabs will allow the animal to lie against a cool surface, these can also be hosed down to stay cooler.

Pink eyed rabbits cannot deal with direct sunlight well, but all rabbits MUST have shade.

Ice cubes can also be added to the water.

If there are signs of serious overheating [collapsing, panting, wet nose, lethargy strange behavior] – a hose with a sprinkler end or a watering can can be used to soak the fur in an emergency. Consult a vet ASAP.

Also – fishtanks – if it’s hotter indoors than your water – open the lid a crack to let air circulate [if you remove the lid it’d be cooler but you may lose a fish!]

ThePinkster

A worthy message but for a moment I did wonder if this was going to be a warning of Chinese fake ‘pleasuring toys’ 😉

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

A worthy message but for a moment I did wonder if this was going to be a warning of Chinese fake ‘pleasuring toys’

LOL 🙂 http://www.mpoweruk.com/instructions.html

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Bump for the “just going home from work” crowd.

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

A worthy message but for a moment I did wonder if this was going to be a warning of Chinese fake ‘pleasuring toys’

Indeed. For a moment I thought I caught a whiff of burnt Fanjo.

chambord
    Free Member

What about guinea pigs? Mine keep running round squeaking and begging for food.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

I suspect that’s normal, but they’re also easily overheated.

Indeed. For a moment I thought I caught a whiff of burnt Fanjo.

It’s the capital R in the title, isn’t it?

donald
    Free Member

andyl
    Free Member

good psa, just been out to give ours some more shade and fresh cool water.

bikebouy
    Free Member

xiphon
    Free Member

Overcooked rabbit isn’t too good either.

Speshpaul

Piggies- much of that ^ applies, I keep them in the shade, I have put another shade over their run and spray with water (and the grass) they like to lie in that.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

🙂

Can we skip the jokes about eating them, please. It’s really tired.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Ok 🙁

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Heh. Truce.

dvatcmark
    Free Member

All good advice, our two have gone from lops to flops in this weather 😀

The 4 inch thick concrete slab the run is on keeps ours cool now but before then we used the bottles of ice in boxes of hay for them to sit/lay in

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Last bump for the morning crowd.

slowoldman

I thought it was a VW overheating thread from over the pond.

franksinatra

Good advice, Snaggletooth and Dandylion have not been impressed with the heat so far.

munrobiker
    Free Member

We brought our guinea pigs in yesterday- they were clearly struggling outside despite being in shade and having their water replaced with cool stuff a couple of times.

They also fancied celebrating Canada Day.

With temperatures much lower today they’re back outside in the shade.

bigjim

good to see this thread, I shudder to think how many piggies and rabbits will be suffering outside at the moment.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Calling all Rabbit owners – beware overheating!’ is closed to new replies.