Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Calling all Lawn freaks – advice needed
  • Normy
    Free Member

Hi everyone,

Bought my first house last year and the garden was a tip. I love a nice garden so I spent a good week deforesting removing gravel and eventually topsoil and some grass!

The garden is pretty much a postage stamp, at about 3m wide by about 8 meters long. And a third of that is a chicken pen!

This spring the grass came through lovely… Due to my job I really struggle to keep on top of the mowing. It sometimes gets a good 6 inches long.

The last few times I had to strim to sensible length before even attempting to mow it.

The problem iv got is its soooooo thick! My mower is a rubbishy flymo (due to the size of the garden). I borrowed my dad’s new honda mower and even that struggled on the highest setting!!!

Any ideas on how to cope? Is there way of thinning?

I’m guessing the answer is keep it short and cut and cut and it will eventually
    Sort itself out?

As I said, it’s a tiny garden so getting it professionally done or dethatching or anything like that would be silly.

It’s so much effort to cut such a small area and even then it looks rubbish like I’ve butchered it!!! And it takes a lot of the little free time I have off!!!

Sorry to moan about such healthy grass!

Any advice welcome

joolsburger
    Free Member

HUSQVARNA 64 does everything you need.

Normy
    Free Member

Wow looks good. Might just try one. Thankyou

thepurist

8m x 3m with chickens as well? Ditch the lawn, use hard landscaping instead with a couple of decent planting areas. It’ll look better and be less work.

tinybits
    Free Member

I’m afraid the answer is cutting. 6″ has got to be 3 weeks +. Get off your arse!

flip
    Free Member

Cut more regular it can only take 20 mins…

Indeed get of yer arse 😯

burko73

8m x 3m and 1/3 of it is a chicken run.

2x8m = 16m2

That’s about ten minutes with a mower. If you can’t be arsed with that and you “love a nice garden” you’re fu£&ed!

Dig it up and get some gravel and decking in….

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

Well I never thought I needed a hand powered lawn mower until I read this thread, today I went out & bought an AL-KO 38HM, not sure if I will tire of it or not, but it only took 10 minutes more to cut my little lawn & it’s good exercise. Hopefully it will stop me having to spend money on a new petrol mower or servicing the old one.

Oh, and I must stop reading about things I don’t need, so much want & too little money! 😉

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Calling all Lawn freaks – advice needed’ is closed to new replies.