Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Calling all knife sharpeners…
  • edenvalleyboy
    Free Member

I have some whetstones for sharpening my knifes.

Do you have any preferred YouTube videos to demonstrate how to do it? Also, any tips to help a novice become a master at making his knives ninja sharp?

Cheers…

tails
    Free Member

I just use this idea knife sharper made by fiskars, I’ve seen it in Tesco as well. Not mega mega sharp but cuts through the toughest vegetables without applying too much pressure.

nealglover
    Free Member

I just use..:..:

Awesome STW style answer. Ignore the question totally and recommend something entirely different 😆

OP – Here’s one I used to get to grips with mine

goldfish24

Nah, you don’t want sharp knives. What you need is a skoda.

bigdean

[video]https://youtu.be/CO7KdLZY7fQ[/video]

tinybits
    Free Member

Scissors, you need scissors.

Or a brick that’d do it. Smash not cut.

tinybits
    Free Member

Can’t help with the you tube but to find the right angle I originally bought a couple of guides that you clip to the back of the blade so it’s pretty hard to get it wrong

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I wish I could go back in time with a video camera & film the old butcher in the Co-Op where used to live. He used to hold his steel upright & go, SWISH SWASH SWISH SWASH, with his knife across the steel. Dunno how sharp the knife ended up but as a young kid, to me it looked bloody awesome!

lycanthropefailed
    Free Member

Would have put a linky in but nealglover beat me to it. I don’t get too hung up on the exact angle, just as long as I’m reasonably close and consistent.

theotherjonv

I wish I could go back in time with a video camera & film the old butcher in the Co-Op where used to live. He used to hold his steel upright & go, SWISH SWASH SWISH SWASH, with his knife across the steel. Dunno how sharp the knife ended up but as a young kid, to me it looked bloody awesome!

That’s not sharpening, that’s honing.

We’ve only got cheap knives, but I do them periodically with a half round bastard file. Seems to work OK.

clintthesquint
    Free Member

Ray is the man, but you’ll need a landrover to finish if off properly.

edenvalleyboy
    Free Member

Cheers for the respones.

Had my first attempt lst night. Not as hard as I thought it would be to get it sharper. However, I can see there is a skill to be learned to getting it really sharp.

How important is a leather strop?

Bigdean’s video really good. Few useful tips e.g. listening to hear if keeping the same angle.

chewkw
    Free Member

edenvalleyboy – Member
    How important is a leather strop?

Very important to achieve razor mirror sharp. 😛

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6_FMYdsjmw[/video]

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Calling all knife sharpeners…’ is closed to new replies.