Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Calling all Japanese knife geeks
  • nick1c
    Free Member

We are going to a 50th soon & I thought a damascus steel knife would be a good (if expensive) gift. I seem to remember Tojiro getting good comments & am thinking of getting one of these :
    http://www.nipponkitchen.com/acatalog/DP_Damascus.html
    I like the idea of a different shape & am tempted by the usuba, but wonder if it would get much use – is the sankotu style more practical?
    While I am asking is there any great benefit to having a scalloped edge, & if so what would be a good choice at around the same price point?

Nick

Dai
    Free Member

Have a look HERE great service and very knowledgeable (no connection etc)

I find the Santoku a great all round kitchen knife that isn’t too far away from western style chef’s knives. The Usuba is primarily a veg slicer I think.

The scalloped blade is supposed to help stop thin slices sticking to the blade. I’ve not used one so can’t comment on it’s effectiveness.

HTH.

Dai

chewkw
    Free Member

As per Dai but not sure what you mean by Scalloped edge? Yes, that’s to ensure nothing stick on to the blade while you cut … anyway …

Santoku is a general purpose knife I use everyday when I am in a hurry, so if I pick up a knife in my kitchen it would be my dirt cheap Santoku. But if I am not in a hurry then it would be my Chinese (Jap made) Cleavers. I have a Tojiro cleaver too.

Okay those Tojiro DP Damascus are very nice and nothing wrong with them and may impress your SO, friends etc because of the knives good look.

For that Price I would go the followings:

Santoku

1. Hiromoto (Aogami Super) – the best carbon steel.

Hiromoto AS scroll down for Santoku

2. Misono (Sweden Steel Series) – Carbon steel.

Misono Santoku

3. Gyuto is “equivalent” to western chef knife so choose from the above brands as well if you want or stick with Tojiro.

I would buy one of the above or two and Tojiro …

4. Usuba … yes, for veg slicing but I have my multi-purpose Chinese Cleaver to do so.

Better steel(carbon) means longer lasting edge.

🙂

nick1c
    Free Member

Thanks – I’ll discuss it with the Boss.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Calling all Japanese knife geeks’ is closed to new replies.