Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 86 total)
  • calling all 2×9 or 2x10ers — any regrets?
  • nathaneddy
    Free Member

I’m planning on switching from my 3×9 set up, and I’m wondering if you lot like the new world.
    In particular curious about anyone on a 2×9; I’ll lose a few gears obviously, but have been using a 12-27 cassette so won’t miss the upper ones, I don’t think.
    Anyone know if middleburn does a 26t-39t combination duo in the front?

Shackleton

My bash ring gets far too much abuse for me to want to use a dedicated 2x set up…..

racefaceec90

i recently bought a new charge duster with 2×10 gearing (my last bike had 3×9) to be honest am loving the new layout.i reckon that i use a lot more of the rear gears,than with previous bike.also you only loose the lowest/highest gear ratios so 99% of your 3×9 is still there (as you can use the whole cassette) am sticking to 2×10 from now on (also easier to clean chainset) 😀

duffmiver
    Free Member

I use 2×9. I’ve never used anything else, so there’s no regrets. If I’m ever spinning out in top gear, I don’t wish I had a third chain ring, I just wish I had a trail to ride instead of a road!!

thomthumb
    Free Member

22.36 on both my bikes.

I find that the gaps between gears is worse on a 36 than 32. this is particularly bad on hg61 12-36 cassette.

#EDIT: don’t feel a lack of high gears though

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I went 2 x 9 but regretted not going 1×9 sooner!

chutney13
    Free Member

i’m using 2×9 for about 6 months now, no regrets at all. Maybe if i had to ride much on the road to get to trails with people that ran 3×9 i might be a little slow, but i don’t. Benefits are, you run a tighter chain so it will drop less often and greater clearance. Will be going to 1×9 at some point soon.

nathaneddy
    Free Member

What about low gears? ever miss the lowest ones in technical stuff? spend more time out of the saddle on uphills?

takisawa2

Pah…go 1×10 with a 36t cassette & man up y’girl. 🙂

nathaneddy
    Free Member

why not just start fell running. . . 🙂

duffmiver
    Free Member

My lowest is 22-34. I can ride up walls in that gear!

thomthumb
    Free Member

What about low gears?

not missing any on my set up.

13thfloormonk

Running 26-39 at the front with a 12-36 at the back (stock set up on my Whyte 905).

Was a bit worried about the lack of low gears as I had been experimenting with steeper and steeper uphills, but any I cleared with a 22-24 I’ve also cleaned with a 26-36, and frankly it felt easier and more controlled. Maybe the geo/weight of the new bike helping, or just a considerable amount mroe road miles in between. Either way not missing low gears.

Not missing the high gears yet but have entered the Selkirk marathon this weekend and remember finishing it last time chasing someone down on a long flat section in my biggest gear, so hope I don’t end up thrashing along in a 39-12 this time!

gee
    Free Member

I regret bothering with it before I went to 1×9.

GB

clubber
    Free Member

24/36 and 11-34 is spot on for me – never ran out of high gears offroad and the low gears are no different to before. I’d never go back to a triple unless I was going to be doing a lot of road linking sections and even then I’m not sure I’d bother.

duffmiver
    Free Member

Basically, 3 chainrings is for birds!!

langy
    Free Member

new world? been agood few years now…

don’t miss high on trail, just occasionally on road as mentioned.

don’t miss low unless steep pinches at end of long ride; but i’d probably hurt or walk if I had a lower gear too, so no drama.

Overall, the only issue I have is when i spend a prolonged period off the bike, then it can be hard work up the climbs for a ride or two.

28,38×11-34, 9spd fwiw

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

27/40 on the front here with 11-34 on the back.

Very nice – never used the big ring at the front anyway and 27/34 on the back is very spinny – I would only want more on the type of slope where you would need to stand to manage your weight distribution anyway, which would then mean I wouldn’t have used those gears anyway.

I still think 2×8 might be have been better as the 8 speed chains cope with mud better.

clubber
    Free Member

No they don’t!

Just as 10 speed works just fine in mud.

ruscle
    Free Member

None, best move I made on my bike.

daveb
    Free Member

Been using 2×9 on my bikes for a while now, just changed on one of them to 1×9 and wish I had earlier (34 front – 11-34 rear). Not so fast on fireroad descents but that doesnt really matter unless you are racing and I have a bike for that.

michaelbowden

I’ve gone 27/40 – 11/32 and it’s been great round the Surrey Hills. Was worried that I might struggle on the trip to Wales 2 weeks ago but it was perfectly fine

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

No they don’t!

yes they do – they clear mud easier and they don’t feel (as much) like you are grinding your drive train to hell.

duffmiver
    Free Member

yes they do

oh no they don’t!! 😆

treaclesponge
    Free Member

2×10 39/26 with 11-36 on my Scott Spark and never run out of gears for up or down. Rarely come out of the big ring either tbh

clubber
    Free Member

TurnerGuy – Member

No they don’t!

yes they do – they clear mud easier and they don’t feel (as much) like you are grinding your drive train to hell.

I’ll leave it after this but having been through 7/8/9/10 speed and the claims at every jump that they wouldn’t cope as well, this simply isn’t the real world result.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

oh no they don’t!!

and your evidence for this is – how many winters riding on 8 speed do you have under your belt and how many years 9 speed?

It can’t be much for clubber as he is only 21 – he has probably never ridden 8 speed…

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

this simply isn’t the real world result

it simply is – the narrower chains hang on to the mud more and consequently grind the drive train more than eight speed used to.

Maybe you just don’t go out if it is too muddy?

clubber
    Free Member

It can’t be much for clubber as he is only 21

You didn’t believe that did you 🙂

As I said, I’ve been through 7/8/9/10, used through the year and as it goes in proper muddy conditions. I’ve worn out several drivetrains. Never found that 8 lasted worse than 7 (obviously since they’re basically the same), 9 worse than 8 or 10 worse than 9. I don’t know anyone who’s actually found different though I do know plenty of people who claim it despite sticking on 8 speed and never having actually tried 9 or 10…

nathaneddy
    Free Member

good stuff all, going to go for it.
    anyone know if middleburn does a 26 – 39 set-up for the front? the 27 – 40 looks to be their standard

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

well with 8 speed I never remember having to stop and empty my drink bottle out over the chain to make it ridable again, and the bridleways I would ride would be turned into deep mud pools by the local horses.

Plus the grinding feeling appears to be much worse.

Once I had changed to middleburn chainrings and an XT 8 speed cassette plus regular chain replacement I managed several years without changing the drivetrain, but that hasn’t been the case with 9 speed.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

I think 26-39 would be too close to 27-40 for middleburn to bother.

partyboy
    Free Member

Why do people constantly overanalyse things on here, just try it FFS!

You are losing a chainring not a testicle 🙄

D0NK

Chucked the big ring on all my bikes due to lack of use and too much grinding it against rocks/roll ins. 22/32 normally but on my xc bike 22/36 all with an 11-32 cassette. Only problem is the amount of time I spend in granny on my xc bike, (36×32 is just a bit tall for hills) so more front shifting and faster wear on chain/granny.

RE 26-39 setup I thought SRAM patented that well the 1.5:1 front ring ratio anyway.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

I thought SRAM patented that well the 1.5:1 front ring ratio anyway.

how can they give a patent for that – jeez

clubber
    Free Member

That’ll be a US patent if it really was patented. You can patent just about anything there even if it’s evidently not new or even sensible to patent.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

phew – I was worried about being spotted riding around in that ratio by some SRAM employee

ratherbeintobago

Stupid question – will a normal triple front mech cope OK with a 13-14 tooth jump between two chainrings if used with 2×9, or would I need a double-specific one?

Andy

yunki
    Free Member

22/36 on the front with an 11-28 cassette.. which was great until I moved to a different area.. now I really wish that I had an 11-34 cassette..

chiefgrooveguru

Yes, it’ll be fine. I had a triple mech doing 36-22. Only changed to a double-specific because I changed frame (different pull).

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 86 total)

The topic ‘calling all 2×9 or 2x10ers — any regrets?’ is closed to new replies.