Viewing 26 posts - 41 through 66 (of 66 total)
  • Calling a bike 'she/her/sugar-tits etc'
  • surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

I think naming your bikes displays your capactiy for imagination and creativity… Mine are known as Giant, Commencal, Kinesis and Orbea. occasionaly known as ***** or ****-***** or ************* depending on their ability to keep me on the trail or to come apart/go back together easily during a maintanence session.

andytherocketeer

64 nipples…
    I’m not going to call it a “he”

jimoiseau
    Free Member

Coincidentally, seeing a bike referred to as “she” makes me approximately as uncomfortable as the superfluous commas in the first sentecne of the OP.

martinhutch

jimoiseau now stuck in infinite feedback loop of discomfort. 🙂

mudshark
    Free Member

I call my bikes after old lady friends, is that wrong? Saved me a few times when my wife told me I was talking about my bikes in my sleep. She did ask why I had one called Colin though.

Stoner
    Free Member

64 nipples…
    I’m not going to call it a “he”

64 nipples, several gussets and at least 4 flanges: too damn right it isnt a chap. 😀

flap_jack
    Free Member

All named. As are the cars. And the house.

I think it started when I read Alan Clarke’s diaries (he named his cars).

Stoner
    Free Member

Alan Clarke’s diaries (he named his cars).

He also named his rottweilers:
    Eva Braun (named after Hitler’s mistress), Leni (the Nazi film-maker Leni Riefenstahl) and Hannah (whose namesake was Hitler’s test pilot, Hannah Reich). But he was a loveable rogue really 😉

thejesmonddingo

I started calling my new bike “my bike”.My wife is no longer talking to me.

flap_jack
    Free Member

I’d just like to point out that, naming vehicles aside, I’ve not used the diaries as a manual for life.

He did us a great service, however, by detailing what a nasty bunch of Nazis the Conservatives really are.

Yak

No naming bikes. Except maybe the crash magnet one, which is called ‘crash magnet’ 😕 .

Cars are always named though. Came from skint days when giving a car (banger) a name might help it make a long trip somewhere.

allthegear
    Free Member

mmm – I did call the Nicolai “Ulrika”, mainly because it’s bright orange…

ohrats
    Free Member

My MTB is called “the meister” after an infamously unreliable drug dealer.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

My mate in California assures me that my Trigger is called Winton as it is a big, gay ‘Dale.
    I just call it the Gnarwhale.

scaredypants

I used to have a car called “the ferret”, then one called “the bus” – I didn’t name them though

Haven’t named any of my sleds

ThePinkster

I’ve had several GT’s all called Gertie and was tempted to call my Mondraker Mandy but seeing as that’s also the name of a mates wife thought better of it, just in case he got the wrong idea 😉

My car’s called Kylie though as the reg starts KM and I think it (she?) looks great from behind.

aa
    Free Member

My road bike is called Edwin.
    My mtb’s don’t have names.

bol

I call all my bikes ‘the bike’ at home.
    It helps avoid awkward questions about the number of names there are available to say.

This. Has avoided a lot of difficult conversations over the years.

trevron73
    Free Member

My bikes currently are “Miley ” skinny looks like a boy , but you would !” Cotic BFe
    “Tata” fit Asian singer (thai)now a bit chunky Cannondale Beast of the east
    Last bike was ” Missy” as was a Cannondale

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Guilty as charged. ‘Ilse’ (Dutch unisex bike), ‘Walter ‘ (old Raleigh, named after my late grandfather) and ‘Ye Spookfish III’ (named as successor to other two steel bikes wot I painted fish on)

Named as per boats/reliable tools I suppose. At least that’s how I use names. Monumental nobbishness to some … affectionate/shorthand/nicknames to others…

Who judges the judges?

Jamie
    Free Member

jimoiseau – Member
    Coincidentally, seeing a bike referred to as “she” makes me approximately as uncomfortable as the superfluous commas in the first sentecne of the OP.

First rule of pedant club is: You don’t talk about pedant club.

Second rule is something to do with speling wurds corektly.

P20

Does this hatred extend to the fact that trains, ships, planes etc are often referred to as ‘she’? This of course would make Sir Nigel Gresley a female

Jamie
    Free Member

Hatred is such a strong word.

Which is why I didn’t use it.

Anyway, I’m off to get a steed out of my quiver of rigs.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

trevron73 – Member
    My bikes currently are “Miley ” skinny looks like a boy , but you would !” Cotic BFe
    “Tata” fit Asian singer (thai)now a bit chunky Cannondale Beast of the east
    Last bike was ” Missy” as was a Cannondale

Like a good what film thread this is revealing a lot of information about the good forum dwellers. Unfortunately it may be too much info…

For the record
    Naming Bikes – No
    Assigning Gender to Bikes – No
    EDIT# Using Rig, Quiver, Steed etc. just grow up unless you are secretly hoping that a Steed will make your Rig Quiver.
    Naming Cars – No
    Assigning Gender to Cars – No
    The cats are lucky to have names, numbers or colours would have been easier.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

All our cats have been called Tiddles to save buying a new water bowl.

slowoldman

My car’s called Kylie though as the reg starts KM and I think it (she?) looks great from behind

Sebastian Vettel gives his Red Bulls ladies names – e.g. Lucious Liz. I wonder what he calls the current one?

Viewing 26 posts - 41 through 66 (of 66 total)

The topic ‘Calling a bike 'she/her/sugar-tits etc'’ is closed to new replies.