Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Callendar to Lochearnhead by Sustrans – tarmac all the way?
  • 13thfloormonk

I love what Sustrans do but their website really frustrates me, it almost seems like on principle they don’t like to make it clear whether a track is surfaced or not. The key makes no sense as the track I was looking at is highlighted in yellow, but the key doesn’t have a descriptor for tracks highlighted in yellow… 🙄

Anyway, moan over, I would like to follow the excellent Sustrans network north from Callander until turning east again on the South Loch Earn Road. My bike can take all surfaces, but I’d like to invite some buddies on road bikes. I know that everything south of Loch Lubnaig is tarmacced, but is it all tarmac as far as joining the Balquhidder road?

Ta.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Geograph.org Iain, I’m sure you must’ve used it before!

13thfloormonk

Aye, I’ve learned the hard way not to trust it! 😀

Kind of assumed it mighten’t be bang up-to-date, but will check…

tjagain

pretty sure it is. I have ridden it. 90% sure.

Oblongbob

No it’s not. The bit from the forest lodges to strathyre isn’t tarmac. Some is smooth hardpack, some is rougher forestry track. Riden it on my road bike with tubeless 25s a few times, but it’s a bit rougher than many would like.

Oblongbob

Up to the lodges it is, and from strathyre onwards it is too, so I’d guess its about 5 miles or less that isn’t. You could go on the road down the other side of the loch.

chickenman

Gravel up Glen Ogle IIRC.

tjagain

sorry – I stand corrected

13thfloormonk

Ok thanks guys, just need to persuade my buddies to get some fatter tyres!

stevemuzzy
    Free Member

Rode it lots. It’s a handrail or cross route for sure

scruff9252

For route planning, I tend to use the website cycle.travel – once the route has been produced it tends to tell you the distance on unsurfaced paths / routes. Found it fairly accurate to-date.

scotroutes

For Sustrans in general, just assume some sort of touring tyre.

StirlingCrispin

Streetview is your friend: https://www.instantstreetview.com/@56.289241,-4.294409,328.25h,-7.94p,2.91z

Fine gravel!

I’ve ridden this many times on a 28C and have had friends on 25C.

Your biggest problem will be the south Loch Earn Rd. Rough as a badger’s nadger!

13thfloormonk

Wee update for posterity:

Callander – Loch Lubnaig (the forest holidays place) – Lovely tarmac, especially nice along the river, sort of tarmac singletrack

Loch Lubnaig side – Mostly fine, smooth gravel. My friend on his 25c road bike was having no issues.

Zig-zags from Loch Lubanig side to Strathyre – rougher/looser singletrack on the zig zags, then rougher forest track to Strathyre. Felt a bit of pity for Ali on his 25s, there was no way to avoid a chattering along here and he was starting to wonder about fitting some 28s…

Strathyre – Kingshouse – we stuck to tarmac minor roads

Kingshouse – Lochearnhead – All fine gravel which posed no problems on 25s.

So in conclusion if you’re hardy enough 25s would cut it but 28s minimum to enjoy yourself. For me on my 40c slicks the rough bits were the only bits of the ride where I wasn’t slowing my mate down so I enjoyed them immensely 8)

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Callendar to Lochearnhead by Sustrans – tarmac all the way?’ is closed to new replies.