Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Callander to Killin
  • amosridl
    Free Member

Anybody know if this is road-bike-able or is it a bit rough and better on the MTB.

Think it follows the sustrans route.

Cheers

druidh
    Free Member

When you say road bike – is that a tourer or a racer? Some of it would be a bit uncomfortable on the latter.

J0N
    Free Member

I’ve not done the sustrans route so dont know the surface type. I’ve ridden along the road which is nice enough. not too busy during the week and a reasonably smooth surface. Its a beautiful part of the country.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    amosridl
    Free Member

Proper carbon jobbies druidh, I’m guessing it’s a no no then.

Cheers for the help folks.

druidh
    Free Member

Some of it is tarmaced, but there are rough areas up the side of Loch Lubnaig. The roads aren’t too bad though.

amosridl
    Free Member

Think I’ll leave it to the mtb for another day, cheers though.

Does anybody else always want to stop and jump into Loch Lubnaig everytime they pass it?

StirlingCrispin

Parts will be fine on a road bike.

The climb from Killin – use the road.
    Glen Ogle to Lochearnhead – use the Sustrans route. Make sure you stop at the burger van for a venison burger.
    Lochearnhead – up to you. It’s a fine whinseal surface. I’ve done it many times on 28c tyres with overnight luggage etc.
    Balquhidder – Sustrans route follows minor roads. Stop at the Old Library tearoom in Balquhidder if it is open.
    Strathyre down – rougher than fine whinseal but again fine on 28c tyres
    Laid Inn – stop to sample some fine beers.

And if you’re going to use a MTB go via Glen Lednock and Glen Ample at the very least 😉
    Enjoy!

13thfloormonk

Have had a cheeky swim in Loch Lubnaig, a lovely transition from slippy slimy rocks to weeds to unfathomable black inky depths… Was my first swim in several years though so felt fantastic!

Keep an eye out off the side of the sustrans path once it reaches the falls of Leny, some perfect singeltrack following the edge of the river, and great views into the gorge.

spangelsaregreat
    Free Member

People have been known to ride Paris to Roubaix on a road bike so you should be okay on a Sustrans Cycle track!!!

amosridl
    Free Member

Cheers folks

Crispin that sounds like a fine day out.

“People have been known to ride Paris to Roubaix on a road bike so you should be okay on a Sustrans Cycle track!!! “

yeah but they get free wheels.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Callander to Killin’ is closed to new replies.