Viewing 35 posts - 81 through 115 (of 115 total)
  • Call me wreckless – blind buy ebay Land Rover – will it get me home sweepstake?
  • orangespyderman

Holy cow I think he’s going to make it

Stop right there!

I love you for putting that back in my head. 😛

Speshpaul

“150 miles to home. Holy cow I think he’s going to make it”

Now I wouldn’t have said that….. but i’m sure he’ll be fine.

frankconway

Think positive – you will definitely make it home.
    My ex and I bought county lwb 3.5 – full 12 seater jobby – totally unstoppable but permanently 15mpg; 10mph or 70mph – mpg never changed.
    Post some pics when you get back – steaming landy in the scottish mist…..

drlex
    Free Member

Is it old enough & cold enough to need a feed sack over the rad?
    Good luck!

mitsumonkey
    Free Member

It’s a disco, the engine will be fine, the self levelling suspension on the other hand . . .

mcmoonter
    Free Member

I made it all the way home just after 1am. The roads were deserted north of the Lakes

At half way I heard a shoogle. From the back somewhere. It turned out to be the spare wheel rattling on the door mount with two partially unscrewed but seized wheel nuts. The spare tyre was pancake flat. I didn’t notice it in the fading light in the airport car park.

I can call myself reckless. The Discovery I think was a good buy. The suspension has all been replaced, air bags and all. I suspect all the steering and suspension bushes have keep kept tip top too. It felt really together.

There are a handful of small jobs needing doing but nothing major. As a log fetcher it will do the turn. I seldom venture on logging sorties more than fifteen miles from home, my annual towing mileage is less than fifteen hundred miles. Today’s road trip was a third of that.

It was quite economical too. I filled the tank in Exeter, put another £30 in just south of the M6 then drove all the way back. There’s about a third of a tank left. I was seldom above 70 and there are some long stretches of roadworks at 50 on the M5 and M6

Thanks for the banter along the way folks

frankconway

Now you’re home get out and do some logging – give it a proper test and post some pics 😀

RoganJosh
    Free Member

Now you’re home get out and do some dogging – give it a proper test and post some pics

Errrrr…..

mitsumonkey
    Free Member

Great news, well done!

matt_outandabout

Win!

jonnyboi

Congrats, although the lack of incidents is slightly disappointing 😉

andy4d

Hold off on the celebrations, I don’t think he has seen it in the cold light of day yet. Wait until he wakes up and opens the curtains………

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Postpones the inspection until after breakfast…

Pigface
    Free Member

Mission accomplished

Rich_s

How do we know it’s really him though?

He could have been captured by aliens, tortured, hollowed out and now they’re using him to conquer the world by destroying the ozone layer by running landies and cutting down trees by the bucketload…

Just sayin.

sharkbait
    Free Member

Another great McM adventure. Well done …. ‘he who dares’ and all that!

singletrackmind

I blew the gearbox in a Saab 9000T in Cornwall one friday night.
    Saturday bus into Helston , then up to Plymouth to find anything that moved for less than £400 . This was the amount that our 2 cashpoint cards ould dispense. This was years ago , pre smart phones so we went to Tesco Helston and bought Autotrader / E&M / Freeads etc.
    Ended up witha Citroen BX deisel 1.9 .It was pretty bad. One tyre out of shape, leaked from the sunroof , spheres gone etc but it had a mot , was taxed , started and stopped. Back to surfing for a few hours then home to Surrey. It made it very easily and became a pool car between a group of us who had bangers of variuos states of repair.

Horrible thing would go from terminal understeer to snap oversteer if driven ‘ robustly ‘ but it always did 50mpg and was quick enough . Needed a battery and glow plug relay / timer thingy but for the money it did well. Not the cheapest car I have ever bought ( thats a £90 Fiat Tempra TurD) but the cost per mile was possibly the lowest.

Better than the Volvo that threw a con rod through the block after collection , having entrusted my brother to go and look over it. That was an expensive , firey lesson.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

In the cold light of day, a few other jobs have revealed themselves. The rear door and driver’s door check straps need reconnecting.

I had to heat up the nuts holding the spare wheel on it’s carrier to get it off.

Thankfully I didn’t get a puncture as the spare was flat and the jack was awol 😯

I found the radio manual and got the radio to work, bonus find was the CD multi player under the driver’s seat

An underbonnet tinkle was a heat shield that needed a couple of pop rivets.

I had a proper look at the airbags, brakes and new rear crossmember, they were all as had been described which was a big relief.

There is a Discovery Td5 breaker in Thornton, so should I need anything they are only just up the road.

Had I known there were so many Land Roverists in the southwest, I’d had given one local a shout before I bidded on it. Note to self, no more random ebay bidding.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Cool story Bro.

Does it smell of cat wee?

matt_outandabout

Here was me hoping it was bling gold colour.

xico
    Free Member

Great thread. Thanks, mcmoonter.

boltonjon

Awesome thread – top adventure!! 🙂

bearnecessities

I was wondering why this bad boy was still standing.

Then I realised why…

😯

Many years ago(1993) i bought a VW caddy pick up unseen ( as in no pics at all etc ) the guy got one of his lads to drive it down from Aberdeen to me in derby . Fan belt broke around 5 miles from me
    Dropped him of at train station and just got home with a low glow of the lights (10pm )
    Had years of trouble free motoring.
    So some time they are the best buys !

welshfarmer

ONce bought an Iveco cattle truck from NOrth of Perth, Scotland, off Ebay. Cue a 2 day drive up with Mrs WF in the Disco and a lonnnnnng drive back down. It had a rediculaously small fuel tank on it (like 150 mile range) and could not go faster than about 55 due to aerodynamics of a brick. But it got home with no isses. The Disco followed me home at 55 mph on a single tank and recorded a record breaking 39.2 MPG 🙂

mcmoonter
    Free Member

I was wondering why this bad boy was still standing.

It’s a noble Sycamore. It has to be the same age as the Georgian part of the house, 1712. In those three hundred plus years a tree surgeon friend suggested it had been pollarded to develop its form. It has survived some big storms in our time here, I trust it will still be standing long after I’m gone.

ourmaninthenorth

Magnifico..!

I’m supposed to be focussing on building work at home – I can’t help but think this sort of jape would be altogether more fun.

Hope you get many years of faithful service.

CountZero

Great story, McM, glad you got back safely, and the car is as advertised, apart from little things.

and there are some long stretches of roadworks at 50 on the M5 and M6

Oh, yeah, I know all about those, 12 miles at 50mph…
    Thankfully I only have to drive up there occasionally.
    Now I’ve posted that I’ll get two or three runs up there next week…

I reckon it’ll be fine, it might stink like a cats toilet inside, but it’ll run like clockwork and he’ll be so bored he will turn left at Carlisle for a pootle amongst the Lakes before doing a bit of “awfrowd” near Keilder Water..

Nah, only if it’s an ex-Motability car.

Had I known there were so many Land Roverists in the southwest, I’d had given one local a shout before I bidded on it. Note to self, no more random ebay bidding.

It’s the natural home of Land Rovers down here, don’t you know! Prince Charles and Camilla, Princess Ann, and plenty of others, plus it’s rural farming country.

gobuchul
    Free Member

Prince Charles and Camilla, Princess Ann,

Would never be seen dead in a Discovery!

Range Rover or Defender yes. Disco surely not!

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Prince Charles and Camilla, Princess Ann,

Would never be seen dead in a Discovery!

Range Rover or Defender yes. Disco surely not!

I doubt I’ll ever see them at the quarry loading up with scaplings to fill their potholes. First errand and it towed a couple of tonnes of trailer and chips quite well. Road tyres are mince in those conditions, the traction control light was flashing merrily uphill. Some off road tyres will help.

A trip to the local Land Rover breaker yielded a replacement wiper stalk which cured the wiper blade parking lottery. A rear light cluster was cracked and filled with water. Four screws and a multi plug and that was sorted too. Total spend £30

The tailgate had a dent, the wheel carrier had lost a stud and its hinges were wobbly. By pure chance the breaker a pristine door with a new wheel carrier in the same colour. £100 all in.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

I’m still getting a series of jobs checked off my to do list. Today, mostly, I replaced the injector seals, loom and rocker cover gasket. Discovery 2’s have a great forum community online. the days of the Haynes manual are surely over.

Three bleed cycles and all five cylinders burst into life. I’ve still got the fuel pressure regulator to change and my ‘to do’ list will be on a fresh blank page.

I figure that one big service will see me to the end its working life. I only do a couple of thousand miles a year.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Fuel pressure regulator swap today. Having hands like shovels made this a bit of a challenge, there isn’t much room.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

We have some film makers coming at the end of the week, the asked if we could get some fresh gravel. The repairs have improved the Discovery’s towing ability. Two tonnes of gravel and a weighty trailer posed no problem.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

This lot is off to the scrapyard

I had hydraulic pipe burst on the, far to clever for its own good, Advanced Cornering Enhancement system on the Land Rover. A single two foot long pipe with a couple of bends was £180. My local Land Rover expert said ditch the whole system for solid anti roll bars and remove the pump. £100 for the bits, new ARB bushes and drop links. A couple of hours in the shed and it’s all changed over.

Top tip Land Rover engineers, leave hydraulic suspension to the Citroen. They’ve been using it since the fifties. Bentley use the same active ride set up used on the XM. They don’t tell their customers where they sourced it from

CountZero

If that doesn’t work pull over in a layby on a dual carriageway and you’ll probably find an old, discarded cassette.

So, did you find a copy of Queens Greatest Hits hidden away somewhere, then?

Viewing 35 posts - 81 through 115 (of 115 total)

The topic ‘Call me wreckless – blind buy ebay Land Rover – will it get me home sweepstake?’ is closed to new replies.