Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)
  • CALL CENTRES, STOP RINGING ME.
  • project
    Free Member

Seems as if a load of call centres are ringing me to take out cheap subs to various magazines, they always rabbit on down their script what theyre offering, not actually mentioning they want your money, then ask for bank details , at which point i politely point out to them i have no idea if theyre real or scam artists etc, and wish them the best in earning some commision from gullible people who tell total strangers on the phone, their bank details.

Luv or matey, if i WANT a magazine i usually go and buy it first from the shop, then if interested buy a sub.

SO STOP RINGING ME.

jimster
    Free Member

Just say, “How did you get my number? I’m on the telephone preference list”

Ususally run a mile.

Drac

Or add yourself to the list. It reduces the calls hugely but sadly not 100%.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Indeed – telephone preference works well

Cougar

Just say, “How did you get my number? I’m on the telephone preference list”

Ususally run a mile.

Usually tell you gleefully that it doesn’t apply to them for some reason.

bigG
    Free Member

Take it from someone who works in the industry. Telephone Preference Service is your friend

project
    Free Member

Because i showed intrest in some outdorrs/car/bike/etc magazine, some ive never heard of, they tell me.

Its like job creation for people who failed the asda interview..

Also who evr buys stuff form callers, just the terminally thick,or with to much money.

gran0210

I signed up for telephone preference service a couple of years ago. Doesn’t stop em all but cut them back 90% i reckon, definitely a good move.

MrsPoddy
    Free Member

I know I have had 4 today – 1 asked to speak to the bill payer – I asked her which bill? I thought it was an obvious question. It is always someone trying to earn a living so I am always pleasant to them. The ones that really get my goat are the ones that are recorded messages.

Drac

Usually tell you gleefully that it doesn’t apply to them for some reason.

I had that once, asked the guy for his name and company again. He gave me it and then I told him I’ll be contacting the relevant body, he started to get very sweary and said he didn’t care. When mentioned he does realise his company will be fine he’d got even more abusive, once I pointed out the fine might be at least one persons wage I’d bet it’s him who goes with his attitude he hung up.

jon1973
    Free Member

SO STOP RINGING ME.

OK, I’ll stop.

Cougar

Take it from someone who works in the industry. Telephone Preference Service is your friend

Take it from someone with a phone. Telephone Preference Service isn’t good enough.

The vast majority of cold calls I get, and I get a lot, have a number of common denominators: The line quality is terrible; it takes several seconds before someone appears on the line; they have thick impenetrable accents usually of the Indian Subcontinent variety; and with a voice straight out of Mind Your Language they’ll tell you that their name is “Kevin” or “Sally”.

They then ask for Mr Jones. Mr Jones is my Grandad, or was, he died about 25 years ago.

You mention the TPS and they laugh in your face; the TPS is powerless for calls originating from overseas, and they know it. They’re often rude as soon as they realise they’re not going to get a sale, they deal in volume in the same way that spam does so they don’t give a tuppenny toss about any threats, requests or pleas you make.

The most effective way I’ve found of dealing with them is to go, in a sad voice, “I’m afraid Mr Jones is deceased.” Some, rarely, will have the grace to sound apologetic; most just hang up immediately; sometimes, they don’t know what ‘deceased’ means; and in one case recently, she told me that it’s “not possible” and called me a liar.

bikebouy
    Free Member

ALL RIGHT…..MATEY….WE HEAR YOU..!!

TPS, please join it then STOP SHOUTING..

jon1973
    Free Member

Telephone Preference Service is your friend

That only works for UK based operators, and is only a voluntary code.

Drac

Cougar, hang up if there’s a delay of about 5 seconds before they answer there’s a clue. Hang up job done.

Unless it the MS support scam I reached a new personal record of 6mins 35 seconds yesterday with one of those before they gave up.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Other than not answering the phone.. TPS is all we have thanks to the lack of backbone in the Gov’t.

Cougar

Cougar, hang up if there’s a delay of about 5 seconds before they answer there’s a clue. Hang up job done.

Generally, if caller ID says it’s unknown or international, I know it’s going to be a cretin. But I figure, might as well run up their phone bill a bit if I’m not busy.

ciderinsport
    Free Member

Have a whiste by the phone – blow it as hard as possible and they will soon hang up 😉

I do seem to get loads from overseas, but the TPS did stop a fair few from the UK!

wwaswas

TPS doesn’t cover surveys.

so if they phone up and say they’re doing a survey then they’ve done nothing wrong.

Mike_D
    Free Member

What Cougar says. TPS plus hanging up on the overseas ones.

zippykona

I love these calls. When they ask for whoever just say you will go and get them, then just leave it 5 minutes and see if they are still waiting.If they are get them to repeat the name or say they have died and you forgot all about it.
    I have had them saying that god will punish me, that I am a wicked person and all that.
    Sometimes I try to sell them double glazing or ask them if they have the lord in them. These calls are a huge source of fun, enjoy!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

The other thing to do is to get your name removed from the various lists – experian are a big player and equifax or something as well IIRC I have contacted both and made sure there is a block on my name with them for any lists. That reduces it as well.

mrmo
    Free Member

If TPS sorks i dread to think what i would be getting if i wasn’t on TPS.

I seem to get huge numbers of calls for random names i have only had the number 10 years?

Then there are the foreign call centres…

And surveys!

Drac

Zippy I do that too, “Can you hold on I have a pan boiling” then just leave it. I’ve also placed it next to the dog, at the time it was a Lab who breathed rather heavy sometimes.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

sometimes I do the waiting game with them- my record so far is 20 mins and a call back

Cougar

The other thing to do is to get your name removed from the various lists

If being dead for 25 years isn’t sufficient to get you removed from lists, I don’t hold out much hope.

wwaswas

I think they only remove names for the pro-actively deceased 🙁

bikebouy
    Free Member

There is often a small “click” from the overseas ones. There are some programmes out there that randomly call numbers in a set then when one answers it forwards that call to the caller in the call center, the result is a very faint “click” as the call is transfered to one of the operatives.

I set one up once, it was a shambles by the way. Our hit rate was based on current customers only, UK based, whilst we were selling “other stuff” alighned to customers current portfolio of products. It’s still running as far as I know (I left that Co years ago) and by all accounts it’s being forwarded to India and back now.

So, if you hear a faint “click” put the phone down.

Don’t be rude, most calls are recorded, whilst they rarely do anything about it, it’s still offensive language and a threat.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

TPS is definitely not 100%. Cold calls really seem to be on the rise and mainly from overseas.

As much as I hate receiving them, I do feel sorry for the poor guys at the other end. You must be thick skinned to survive in that job.

bland

let them talk, then tell them you are blind!

craigxxl
    Free Member

I found the TPS a waste of time and play them along now instead, getting them all excited about a potential sale, dragging it on for as long as possible before stating that I’m not interested. Gives me a nice warm feeling that I’ve wasted their time and stopped them from wasting someone else’s.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

What I really, REALLY hate are the charities (that you already give to by DD) calling you, giving the sob story and asking for more money on top of what you already give.

My wife actually stopped giving to one because she was so fed up of them continually asking for more.

donsimon
    Free Member

Are these people simply not trying to do a job? If you don’t like it take a minute to think about the cause. 😛

ThePinkster

Wait until they’re halfway through their spiel and then tell them you’re busy a the moment but if they can give you their home phone number you’ll call them at home at a more convenient time for you.

I’ve done this before now and they usually say that they’re not allowed t ogive their home phone number out whic hten starts me off on how come they can call my home phone when I can’t call theirs. These discussions can go on for ages.

although I do find asking thm to explain ‘where they got my phone number from as it’s not supposed to be published anywhere and they have to remove it from their lists immediately’ can be quite good fun too.

Especially if afterwards you ask to speak to their supervisor. 😀

rusty90
    Free Member

let them talk, then tell them you are blind deaf!

Much more effective.

My (English) neice got a job calling people about compensation for miners lung, basically chasing people to make sure they were aware that they were eligible.
    The first day she spent calling South Wales, on a Saturday afternoon. In the middle of a Wales v England match. She couldn’t understand why so many people swore at her and slammed the phone down.

zippykona

Yeah its a crap job but they still try and sell you stuff when you say someone has just died.

organic355
    Free Member

I am having similar issues with someone trying to sell me life insurance.

is it this i need to sign up to?

http://www.tpsonline.org.uk/tps/index.html

Militant_biker

I like the ‘going silent mid-sentence and waiting until they hang up’ method. Or answer their first questions, and then don’t say anything. You have to be good at not laughing for either to work well though.

MrOvershoot

As others have said TPS rids you of 99% of UK ones and then Caller display allows me to filter out “International, Unknown or Witheld”

OK I know you have to pay for caller display but its a small price for your sanity IMO

chunkypaul
    Free Member

TPS is bobbins… constantly update it each year, but still get 2-3 calls a week

AMEX & MCN’s insurance company are the latest ones for me

how many times do you have to tell them?

i’m pretty short with them now, and the international ones i just hang up when i hear a click

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)

The topic ‘CALL CENTRES, STOP RINGING ME.’ is closed to new replies.