Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 129 total)
  • Calibre Dune Owners Club (tightfisted Northerners)
  • Mugboo

I’ve had mine a couple of months and I am absolutely loving it. I had taken up running in winter to avoid the slop but this thing has sorted me out. Waterproof shorts and top, hose bike off, clothes off, dog off and we are good to go again.
    I can’t believe how capable it is. It took a few rides to begin to relax and trust the tyres (Floaters) but I am now riding as fast as I would be on my hooligan HT (or at least it feels fast..)

A couple of questions for other owners. My friend has broken a frame already and this weekend he rode with someone who has broken two. Anybody else?
    And his freehub went pop this weekend, are freehubs freely available?

I intend to carry on riding mine flat out, confident in the fact that Go Outdoors really looked after him. No quibble at all.
    What other frames are there with similar geometry and the same rear axle spacing? At some point I will be buying better wheels and don’t want to get the wrong size rear hub.

And has anybody bothered with a Bluto? At first I thought I wanted one but the more I ride it the more I think not.

mm93
    Free Member

I’ve had mine for 3 months, ridden it a couple of times a week in some pretty grim conditions.I bought it to dip my toes into the world of fat bikes while I freshened up my full suspension bike over winter -when they were on sale for £499 .
    I’ve always liked the look of fat bikes but didn’t want to spend a fortune on one in case I never got on with them. Northwind and co on the cheap fat bike thread made it impossible to resist the dune for that money!
    Anyway,I really like riding it,I started collecting parts for it straight away,new bars and stem,1×10 parts new mech etc but I haven’t actually felt the need to change anything yet!Still got the standard mechanical disks and Kenda juggernaut tyres(ghetto tubeless), nothing has broken or fell off, bearings still smooth etc.I had a few problems with chain suck when it was new but that seems to have cured itself.
    So far it’s been the cheapest but most fun mountain bike I have bought!(I expect it to fall apart immediately now I have written this).
    Sorry I can’t help with your hub size,etc questions,I shall be keeping an eye on this thread though for when the time comes!

postierich
    Free Member

Mug boo would that be Garreth ? with the freewheel issues

Mugboo

It would indeed Rich

postierich
    Free Member

He was not a happy chappy lugging the fattie up Hellvelyn and having to freewheel down 🙂 with no front brake he had a good beer day waiting for us.
    Friend in our club that has broken 2 dunes gave up on them in the end

Mugboo

Was it that or Collins taking the pee!!

What did your mate replace it with?

kayak23

Had mine a few months now. Totally love it!
    Will probably get some Blutos eventually but it’s very capable at the moment.
    I’ve gone 1×11 (11-46T) on mine, carbon bars and a Reverb.

The tales of snapping frames worries me a bit but so far so good… 😕

Mugboo

mm93 – I blame Northwind too!

I swapped all the good bits off my hardtail before I even rode it. Just the cranks left to swap when the BB dies.
    1×10, reverb, short stem, knuckle ball bars, etc.

Great news on the bearings and stuff, can’t believe you are staying upright on those Juggernauts!

jeff1155

I had the have the freehub serviced quite quickly – it wasn’t sealed well from new and filled up with mud etc, but no problems since, and it cured the chain suck but I went 1x anyway.

I’ve not heard of anyone else cracking frames, but they do encourage some looney behaviour!

I managed to bend my seat post, but haven’t broken anything else.

mm93
    Free Member

Haven’t found them too bad to be honest, I’ve ridden with people with buds/Nate’s ,45s etc and it’s gone everywhere they’ve gone.

Where have the frames been breaking?

postierich
    Free Member

Replaced it with a speech stump jumper semi fat

Mugboo

Welding on top tube seat post side and bottom bracket chainring side.

nickgti
    Free Member

I’ve had mine for over a year now.
    Two new freehubs and two sets of cranks under warranty. Gave up on the shite cranks n BB and went with raceface stuff.

Only standard bits left are wheels and stem.

It’s running some 100mm bluto’s they have really changed the way the bike rides much much prefer it with the Blutos. Those standard forks really don’t have much give.

Mugboo

Nickgti – I imagine it would move a step closer to being my main bike with a Bluto, at the moment I’m practising bunnyhopping and staying loose..

I still can’t imagine choosing it for the Peaks or Lakes but for Calderdale its ace.

doubledunter
    Free Member

Bought mine for one purpose, dirty muddy blast up local hills in the winter, no issues with hubs as yet but heard their problemactic,looking forward to getting it back out.

[/url]dune by Doubledunter, on Flickr[/img]

nickgti
    Free Member

Mugboo- at the moment it is my only bike, used it all through “summer” all over from moor crossings to bike park stuff.
    I’m looking for a new full sus, but at the moment I’m not not having fun on the fat bike to finally push and buy another bike

Mugboo

I haven’t ridden my FS since buying it. I’ve got a few hours to kill on the 23rd while Vamoose fit us a poptop, let’s see how it deals a wintery Wharncliffe

div14
    Free Member

Hi there,
    Is there a sram 11 speed xd freehub driver available to fit the calibre KT hub?
    Thanks

perchypanther
    Free Member

I was too tight fisted to splash out big money on a Dune……

#teamwazoo

div14
    Free Member

Had mine for a few months & love it.changed the brakes to hydraulic’s I had taken off my hybrid,big difference.
    Fitted xt 10 speed shifter,cassette,rear mech & went 1 x 10 with a 40 tooth rear cog & a narrow wide chainring.
    I runs very good but can’t pedal backwards in 40 tooth cog,which you get used to quite easily.
    Was thinking of fitting the sram gx eagle gpx 12 speed when it’s available, if I can get a freehub driver to fit the
    Kt hub.

Northwind

Haven’t ridden mine for a bit as I’ve been crocked but it’s got its 4.8 JJs back on so should be a bit quicker up the hills than with the minions! Probably my most ridden bike.

Mugboo

Mine is now only Dune framewise, love the big daft yellow thing, still tweaking my new to me 26″ Rocket but once that’s done I’m back on it!

Picked up a like new pair of Hope/BR710’s with Ground Controls, tubeless with fatty strippers for £350 🙂

NormalMan

Of the budget end Fat bike club, has anyone tried the Mongoose Argus Sport?

Interested in how it compares to the Dune or Wazoo.

Poopscoop

Nice looking bike that Mongoose.

tomo51
    Free Member

Off to Go Outdoors tomorrow morning to finally throw my leg over a dune and have every intention on buying one. just wanted to know if you guys still have yours? still enjoying it? still think its a worthwhile choice?

kayak23

I still have mine. It’s the bike I ride for all my local xc and it’s brilliant.

I went 1×11 on mine, wider carbon bars and a reverb. Great bike, and I think you’ll love it.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/TCign5]IMG_20170416_090651955-01[/url] by Kayak23, on Flickr

mm93
    Free Member

Still got mine, ridden it in all conditions and it’s still got all the standard bits and it’s still going strong.Great bikes for the money.

Northwind

Mine is going to annoy me on saturday- ChrisL can’t put it on his roofrack so I’ll need to drive to COmrie, gah! Other than that it is still awesome.

jeff1155

Like kayak23, I’ve still got mine, gone 1x, wide carbon bars, Jumbo Jims for the dry and Nates every time else – the latter are so good they might just stay on once I’ve got the FattyStrippers set up to go tubeless – punctures are the only downside.

It’s brilliant fun, puts a smile on my face whatever the weather and whatever the route.

Mugboo

Still got mine, although truth be known its now so heavily upgraded that the only Dune thing about it is the frame. That’s the beauty of it though, apart from the weight difference and brake performance after all the upgrades, it still rides the same because Go Outdoors got the design right in the first place.
    If anybody needs to replace the original cranks, BB or saddle by now I have all mine sat in a box, the saddle is unused I think.

Northwind

Aye, that sums it up nicely. There’s 2 ways to make a bike on a tight budget- you can make literally everything equally cheaply and get something that rides as well as something that price can when it comes out of the box (Halfords are absolute geniuses at this, look at a £400 carrera, there’s usually no strong or weak spots anywhere in the build, just perfect balance). It’s great if you want to just ride it but actually very hard to improve on because of the lack of weaknesses which would be quick easy hits. You end up having to replace everything to get an upgrade.

Or the other way is make something with potential then stick whatever you can to it to make it cheap. That’s the Dune (and also lots of big manufacturer’s basic models, where you get an awesome frame that’s the same as the high end model). It’s how I’d do it too, if I was building from scratch on a tight budget. Not as good when it comes out of the box but you can easily take off the rough edges.

Neither’s better- if I was going to recommend a fatbike for a non-bikey colleague I’d say get the Voodoo because they won’t want to mess with it. If I was going to recommend it for an enthusiast I’d say the Dune.

If you sneaked a Salsa logo onto our upgraded Dunes nobody’d bat an eyelid and they wouldn’t expect to get the frame and fork for much less than a grand.

tomo51
    Free Member

Thanks guys… took the plunge today and have one on order! Had a try on a few other bikes whilst in store an none gave me the feeling this did. It feels a whole lot of fun! Cannot wait to get out on it!!!

hellcat
    Free Member

To those who have gone 1x, could you be as kind as to list what parts you have fitted?

I swapped the front rings for a narrow-wide and tried for super-budget 1×8 and the chain suck was awful. Obviously a decent clutch mech is probably needed but there are loads to choose from.

Splash-man
    Free Member

Nothing to add at this point but I have just picked one up 2nd hand. Everything is standard on mine apart from a Deore rear mech.
    Lots of fun so far but the self steer from the Juggernaut front is horrendous.
    Need to try some different pressures I think and looking for different tyres.

Any one tried Minions ?

I’m a tight fisted Southerner 😆

Mugboo

Thought it was time for an update.

Still in love with the Dune. Its wearing a 4.8 Minion front and Ground Control rear and so far so good this winter gripwise. Frame shows no sign of issues and still puts a smile on my face every time I ride it (and most people I meet!) 😀

It will never replace my enduro bike for summer fun and big days but has definitely ousted my winter hardtail.

downshift

Similar here; 3.8 Nates went on a couple of weeks ago, a Brand X dropper a little before that, and its a hoot. I had a quick spin on a mates Surly ICT today, and while the 4.8 Bud and Lou’s were cool in the snow and slop it felt remarkably similar. I’m not changing it until the frame breaks…

kayak23

Still loving mine for any kind of riding, but usually the local stuff, xc and suchlike.

It was great to be able to take it out in actual snow recently. It was brilliant.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/22ocHSU]Untitled[/url] by Kayak23, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/22ocHcL]Untitled[/url] by Kayak23, on Flickr

I’m still running the juggernauts and there’s nothing bad enough about them to convince me to slap £60-100-odd each end down for a change.. They’re fine.

Slx based 1×11, Sunrace 11-46 out back which is fantastic.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/H9LVZP]Malvern hills. December 2nd 2017[/url] by Kayak23, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/CrMz2a]Malvern hills. December 2nd 2017[/url] by Kayak23, on Flickr

Not had any frame issues yet fingers crossed and I’m not gentle with it.
    I was originally going to go Bluto on it eventually but you know what? Nah… It’s brilliant how it is.
    😀

Mugboo

Downshift – I’ve come to the same conclusion framewise and even then if I saw another Dune frame cheap I might buy it.

Kayak – Great photo’s, still not had any snow here in Brighouse, its looking like a possibility for Friday but I’m working 😥 .

emac65
    Free Member

My first frame cracked by the BB just outside the warranty. Go outdoors didn’t want to know, but Calibre were brilliant & had a new one sent out to me in just over a week.

Changed the brakes, bars, saddle, gone 1×10, changed to JJ’s for the summer or Floaters in the gloop, put a dropper on it & some Bluto’s …
    Biggest game changers for me were the dropper seatpost & the JJ’s…Totally transformed the way the bike road… The Bluto, not so much, in fact if On One hadn’t been selling them so cheap I wouldn’t have bothered getting one. Went back to the rigid fork last month & it’s still a blast 🙂

andreasrhoen
    Free Member

Go outdoors didn’t want to know, but Calibre were brilliant & had a new one sent out to me in just over a week.

Interesting.
    Do you have direct contact to Calibre bikes?

Is there an direct e-mail to Calibre?
    GoOutdoors isn’t good in answering…

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 129 total)

The topic ‘Calibre Dune Owners Club (tightfisted Northerners)’ is closed to new replies.