Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Calf injury recovery???
  • votchy
    Free Member

Playing basketball yesterday with my sons and as I jumped my right calf went pop, felt like a balloon bursting in my leg and heard an audible pop, currently calf is strapped up and got ice on it with it elevated, weight bearing is possible but very uncomfortable, really down about it, any tips for recovery?

unhappy mark 🙁

Albanach
    Free Member

Sounds more like you snapped your Achilles tendon!? That’ll take a while to heal…

votchy
    Free Member

Don’t think it is the achilles having googled it, not enough pain and too much movement in the ankle, if it is then could be off the bike for 3 months

deluded
    Free Member

votchy,

I completely ruptured my Achilles tendon on the 1st of March knocking around a football in the sports hall at work. I felt a sudden tearing pain and attributed it to a general calf-pull. One of the trainers said that it wouldn’t be an Achilles injury as I’d be in more pain. I still had full movement in my ankle, although I had no push-off power in my toes and an inability to raise my heel (tip-toe).

A week later I decided that something was wrong (the swelling had not resolved) and so I went to the hospital where an urgent ultrasound scan revealed a complete rupture. I elected for conservative treatment and have been in a full cast for the last four weeks at full equinus. On Thursday the cast was taken off and my foot was put at partial equinus. I’ve got another two weeks in this position and a further two weeks with the heel fully raised (to stretch out/lengthen the tendon) in cast followed by intensive physiotherapy.

Mate, do me a favour – you need to go to hospital and get your injury checked out. If it is your Achilles tendon (and it sounds as if it is) you would be wise not to delay treatment & hamper recovery – it’s a serious injury.

All the best,

Larry.

votchy
    Free Member

Larry – sh1t man, that sounds bad, will be off down to A&E when wifey gets home to get it checked, healing vibes to you dude

Mark

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Use a roller on it. Heat and ice too.

deluded
    Free Member

Mark,

Good – all the best, let us know how you get on 😀

L.

shinsplints

Get Endomondo to rub it better ?
    Seriously Mark go get it looked at. Plus, the nurse/a & e staff members may be FIT.
    All the best,
    Si.

P.S 3 weeks ish until the Dyfi !

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Yes I have tips for recovery. Do more of what you’re doing and you’ll be grand. Maybe a tubigrip during the day too.

Also, if it was a complete rupture of anything it wouldnt be sore.

richcc
    Free Member

I’m not sure about comments above. I tore gastroc muscle in calf playing squash. Felt like someone had punched me with a knuckle out like a dead leg. Really hurt. I’d get to a sports physio if I were you as that was where I got best advice on the injury and a programme of rehab

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Calf injury recovery???’ is closed to new replies.