• This topic has 4 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by Far.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Cairngorms Experts – Glean an t’Slugain
  • Far
    Free Member

We’re planning on doing a 4 day route around the Cairngorms over Easter (Blair Athol – Kingussie – Tomintoul – Braemar – Blair Athol) and I’m after a bit of advice on the Tomintoul – Braemar leg – specifically the trails south of Loch Builg. Every route guide I’ve seen has you heading due south, climbing up onto the side of Cullardoch before dropping down towards Braemar. On the map it looks like it might be more interesting to fork right, heading west towards (and then south of) Creag an Dail Mhor, climbing over the col into Glean an t’Slugain and heading back South East down the glen and returning via Invercauld House. However; I’m very aware that what looks good on the map and what exists on the ground is often not the same thing; can anybody comment on the rideability/existence of these trails or would we be better off sticking to the published route?

13thfloormonk

I’ve ridden up Glean an t’Slugain from Invercauld, its pretty good all the way to the point it meets your path. Would be a great descent, especially if you follow the southern path which takes you to the south of the little ruin.

can’t speak for the section between Cullardoch and the meeting between the two paths, maybe check geograph.org.uk?

Edit: I suggest you do check geograph, some nice looking trails up there!

Far
    Free Member

Cheers – Geograph does look pretty promising!

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Watch out for snow! We went in April ’08

Home for one night only by Pimpmaster Jazz, on Flickr

Hut at the top of Bealach Dearg, under Cullardoch

Turned back in the morning and pushed back down to Tomintoul

Far
    Free Member

Perhaps I’ll pack the snowboard as well then!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Cairngorms Experts – Glean an t’Slugain’ is closed to new replies.