Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Cairngorms conditions
  • markshaf
    Free Member

I’m heading up to Blair Atholl in just over a week with a plan to do a bikepacking loop around the Cairngorms. Given the marvellous British summer, I’m a little concerned about the river crossings, especially the Geldie Burn. Anyone been round there recently and can comment on depth of fords?

Waderider
    Free Member

Water levels are predictable hours, not days ahead.

markshaf
    Free Member

Sure, but it would be useful to know if they’re already pretty difficult to cross or not.

globalti
    Free Member

I thought Scotland was having lower than average rain?

matt_outandabout

It has been very localised up here – one valley end is soaking, one is dry…

On average, water levels are lowish.

http://www.wheresthewater.com/river-levels/scotland 8)

markshaf
    Free Member

Thanks – useful info so far….anyone actually been over Braemar way recently though?

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

The rivers do rise and fall quicker than down south so its very dependent on the previous 24 hours. Although we have had a lot of rain in the last few weeks, groundwater levels are still pretty low so you should be fine as long as you are doing it 12 hours or more after any significant rain

matt_outandabout

So yesterday our gorge was up at hoofing high, oh eh should we be here with a group level, and today it was at low-to-boring summer levels.

As above, rivers here go up and down quickly compared to anywhere else, can be localised, and dependent on many factors. That link I posted is live and has history if you click through. It is your best resource, trust me.

markshaf
    Free Member

Thanks all. Will definitely keep an eye on the link that you provided Matt.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Cairngorms conditions’ is closed to new replies.