Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Cadence/speed sensor and hoses
  • atlaz
    Free Member

I’ve been trying to get my garmin cadence/speed sensor to work on my disk road bike. The problem is the hose runs down the top of the side where I want to put the sensor. if I put it under the chainstay the speed sensor magnet is out of range and if it’s on top there’s the hose to contend with.

I had an idea of getting a piece of rubber and carving a channel for the hose into it but wondered if anyone else had encountered this and had a better idea.

Seamus
    Free Member

The arm on the speed sensor is adjustable by loosening the screw. I have run above and below the chainstay

njee20
    Free Member

I’d go below the stay and twiddle the arm accordingly – push the sensor closer to the spokes if need be.

Being underneath means that if it gets knocked the spokes will push it out again, rather than dragging it into the wheel.

gravity-slave
    Free Member

Or flog it and get the new magenetless sensors that go on the crank and hub with no other constraints 🙂

atlaz
    Free Member

The arm on the speed sensor is adjustable by loosening the screw. I have run above and below the chainstay

I’d go below the stay and twiddle the arm accordingly – push the sensor closer to the spokes if need be.

Do you mean I can remove the screw entirely and flip it as I already have changed the angle of the sensor but as I’ve got 60mm rims it doesn’t reach far enough to pick up the magnet.

Or flog it and get the new magenetless sensors that go on the crank and hub with no other constraints

Yeah that’s an option sadly

TiRed

The new ones are good and easy to move between bikes. But cadence is noisier than with the magnet flip the speed sensor up. Looks gash but works fine.

atlaz
    Free Member

Can I combine the old-style cadence/speed sensor (albeit with non-working speed part ATM) with the new speed sensor on an Edge 800?

njee20
    Free Member

Yep, no reason why not.

atlaz
    Free Member

The reason why not is they’re not compatible. Hence I now have a GSC10 for sale 😉

njee20
    Free Member

Really? Have you tried it with the GSC-10 out of range when you pair the speed sensor?

atlaz
    Free Member

Yep. I called Garmin and they said absolutely not compatible after I’d dicked around for 30 mins, even manually inputting the sensor ID for my speed/cadence sensor.

njee20
    Free Member

Aah. Sorry, I’m really surprised. I had a GSC10 and PowerTap which did candence (and speed) and it was fine.

atlaz
    Free Member

No worries. Caveat emptor innit?

For anyone who buys one of these sensors, do NOT put it on the rear hub, something about the torque, distance from the device or something else makes for really variable speed readings; I had to switch it off after 5km. Front wheel is supposed to be better.

njee20
    Free Member

I run mine on the rear hub! Thought that’s the point – so you can use it on the turbo. I don’t know anyone who’s put one on the front in fact.

atlaz
    Free Member

Well this bike will never go on the turbo. Maybe there’s something I’ve done wrong with putting it on the wheel but I struggle to work out what that might be as it’s hardly rocket science 😛

njee20
    Free Member

So how were you getting odd readings on the road? It shouldn’t be overriding the GPS reading? 😕

atlaz
    Free Member

It was spiking at what seemed like approx the right speed but then going down to zero then back up and so on. Only when I was pedalling though which was odd. Garmin recommend a factory reset on the Edge but I’ll do that on Monday when I go to ride the bike at lunch.

DT78
    Free Member

I’m very occasional getting odd readings on the new magnet less sensors. Swapped the speed sensor to the front wheel which has improved reliability but occasionally it sits are something like 0.4mph when I’m in the 17/18s for the first 5 mins of the ride. I’m also finding the cadence sensor seems to take a good few minutes to be picked up rather than immediate like the old gsc10. Not really sure how to sort, bit annoying as they seem worse than the old sensor

njee20
    Free Member

Very odd, never had either problem myself. No consolation I realise!

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Cadence/speed sensor and hoses’ is closed to new replies.