Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Cadence – training etc.
  • geoffj

I’m getting more into using the hrm for training, and I’m wondering about the benefits of taking more notice of cadence.
    Anyone got any links I can have a shufty at?

TIA

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

I don’t have links but most of what I’ve read says aim for 90 rpm. Easier on a road bike than with they even surface offroad. When you start doing this it usually slows you down but the more you do it, the bigger gear you begin to use and it eventually makes you faster… Or that’s the theory I vaguely recall.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Spin whats best for you.

Not everyone is the same, so I don’t really understand where this “spin at 90rpm” rule comes from? Lance Armstrong?

njee20
    Free Member

Doubt it, he pedalled significantly faster. 90 rpm has long been cited as the ‘optimum’ cadence. Must say its where I tend to end up. I reckon less than 90 looks pretty laboured, I doubt few riders wouldn’t benefit from being in that area.

I think there’s merit in doing high cadence efforts to improve your stroke, but you don’t really need a cadence meter for that. Personally not too sure a cadence meter is vastly useful – although I do notice mine drops if I’m tired, that tends to be more on a whole ride than something I notice at the time.

geoffj

So there may be some merit in using a cadence meter on the bike to check that you are keeping the spinning up? At least until you get used to knowing what 90rpm feels like?

roadie_in_denial
    Free Member

British Cycling’s Coach Education Department teaches that the most effective cadence is between 80 and 100 rpm. Since 90rpm is right in the middle of that bracket I suspect that that’s where the 90rpm ‘rule’ has come from.

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

It’s extremely personal, the 90rpm rule comes from looking at the pro’s, however their putting out 450 watts, which most of us aren’t. Whatever works for you I’d say.

grantway
    Free Member

If your to spin at an high rate
    You best get your heart checked first by your Doctor
    as Cycling at an high rate has an high death rate
    even in younger people too.

geoffj

😯

epo-aholic
    Free Member

Do what works for you but mixing it up is always good…

I myself push out more power at a higher cadence but try to alternate between high cad (100 revs) and low cad (80 revs) with each training session…. I find lower cad efforts increase lactic though.

baznav73
    Free Member

And that proves the theory everybody is different, if i spin a higher cadence i build up way more lactic acid than if i push a bigger gear, i’m sure i read somewhere it’s all down to your muscle fibres what you are capable of, more fast twitch fibers suit a faster cadence more slow twitch suit gear pushers.

kcr
    Free Member

I think some studies suggested bigger gear, lower cadence was more efficient, but it depends what you are doing. Some TT riders will adopt that style, but it is less suitable for road racing, where you need to be able to respond to frequent changes in pace.
    I wouldn’t get too hung up about cadence. Go with what works for you. Around 90 rpm is the cadence that a lot of riders seem comfortable with.

vdubber67
    Free Member

In terms of cadence, overgeared sessions early in winter training, together with some higher cadence and single leg drills will yield good results overall.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

single leg drills

Surely pedaling with both legs is better?

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

It’s not for training good technique

DanW
    Free Member

Essentially in lay man’s terms, high cadence stresses your CV system (heart/ lungs/ etc) more while low cadence stresses the muscles more. Finding the optimal and most efficient use of you CV system along with your musculo-skeletal system is hard to do on an individual basis but 85-95rpm always feels best for me.

I use a cadence meter but only look at it occasionally when I am starting to get tired as motivation to stop grinding along. Not really useful but it doesn’t hurt to have it either.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

The Swedish Chef – Member
    It’s not for training good technique

But surely good pedaling technique involves using both legs together?

For example, Bradley Wiggins pedaled with both legs to win the tour this year.

bikerbruce
    Free Member

I tend to take lots of epo, pedal with both legs,Mainly because Im lucky enough to have 2 and pedal really fast because the faster you pedal the faster you go…With this sound logic your bound to go faster

pmc00per
    Free Member

I am reading a training book atm which makes a good point. It basically says that power = how fast you peddle x how much torque put put in (or something like that).

For a given power output it is less fatiguing to peddle faster with less force i.e use a lower gear.

Now I just need to get fit enough to put it into practice

vdubber67
    Free Member

Just in case anyone’s not really taking the mick about single leg work (!), the idea is to counter the dead spots in your pedal stroke, which are ‘hidden’ when you pedal with two legs. Apparently it was actually invented by Wiggo. (This last bit may not be true) 😉

glupton1976
    Free Member

Eh?

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Cadence – training etc.’ is closed to new replies.