• This topic has 7 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by Moe.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Cable replacement?
  • Moe

Need to replace the rear* gear cable, all fine except I can't see how you thread it into the shifter. I've removed the cover but can't see (or want to risk) taking anything else apart ……… guidance please?

*can't spell it!!! ……. you know, the 'd' word ….. I know, I could just look it up in the time it's taken to type this but hell!!

rootes1

what type of shifter?

have you tried to push the old one out of the shifter yet?

Mister-P
    Free Member

Shimano levers have a little grub screw on them behind the shift levers where the cable pops out of.

Moe

Sorry, yes, trigger shifter.

had a quick push and it didn't seem to want to come out, I'll give it another try. Is it that simple?

peachos
    Free Member

make sure that the shifter is in the correct gear – for a rear shifter it will need to be in '9' and and front in '1'. there should be a tiny hole to thread the cable through. big lamp/torch will help you.

rootes1

Moe,

is it shimano? sram? other?

on shimano tech dos website loads of info:

example for SLX trigger cable replace:

SLX Instructions – Clicky

same sort of info on SRAM site as well (under dealer support)

hug
    Free Member

if they're shimano you can download/print a set of destructions, but i seem to recall that you keep pulling the trigger 'till it's shifted all the way up (or down if yours is that way inclined) then you should be able to push the cable inner through, if it still resists try just a little fressure on the thumb lever as you push the cable.
    if on t'other hand you have those dual shifter-brake & gear things then I have no idea

Moe

Thank you all very much 😀 it's funny how the smallest things can be the biggest headache!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Cable replacement?’ is closed to new replies.