Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • cable discs
  • nevertoomanybikes
    Free Member

Anything worth considering apart from the obvious avids? Anyone tried the cheap funn ones from crc? Ir the kooka ones of the ‘bay?

jordie
    Free Member

I have tried the cheap ones and they are terrible off road.There is nothing wrong with the cheapest hydro shimano ones for the cash.I had to adjust them about 3 times in the rain from the top of spooky wood down to the car park.I think they were Hayes

TuckerUK
    Free Member

When I looked into this for my sons bike a while ago, even Avid BB5s got some poor reviews. He got BB7s and loves them.

ross980
    Free Member

I had Shimano ones on an old GT Avalanche. They were dreadful and needed constant adjustment, even when they were working they were no better than the V brakes on my previous bike.

If it were me I’d go hydraulic, or if it must by cable get something that actual work (that’d be Avid then…)

ross980
    Free Member

I have tried the cheap ones and they are terrible off road.There is nothing wrong with the cheapest hydro shimano ones for the cash

Cheap Shimano brakes are awesome – just if you swap the OEM pads which you’ll destroy in a ride or two in the right (or should that be wrong?) conditions – Fibrax sintered ones are very good.

My Shimano 525s from my ’05 Stumpjumper are still going strong. they’ve done the Alps and most UK trail centres. Never overheated (I’m not light and dragged the brakes a LOT in the Alps AND had sintered pads in). They’ve been faultless. I’ve only bled them once (althought they need doing again TBH). I want to build a new bike up in the new year and the only things I’m definitely keeping from my current bike are the Fox Vanillas and my bog standard brakes.

mtbfix

I love the BB7s that i have. Plenty powerful and adjustable trailside should the need arise.

nevertoomanybikes
    Free Member

Mmm this is turning out like i thought it would!

Nagasaki
    Free Member

I have a Clarks cable disc on the back of my hard tail – it’s completely mince compared to the hydraulic brakes (Avid Juicy 7) on my FS. Definitely worth shopping around for some decent cheap hydraulic brakes instead.

sonik
    Free Member

BB7’s all the way matey.

RestlessNative
    Free Member

bb7 are great

the bb5 on my wifes bike are ok, but harder to setup as only 1 pad moves

if you want cables get bb7, very happy with mine

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

I used some Formula cable discs for a while, and then an Avid BB5 on the front of my HT. Avid defo had the edge on bite, stopping power and general lever feel. I’d suggest investing in very good cables and outers, I used goretex on my set up. At the least use full length cable outers.

andy7t2
    Free Member

BB7’s all the way

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘cable discs’ is closed to new replies.