Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • C2C Whitehaven – Tynemouth
  • mtbben
    Free Member

Hi,

Planning on doing Whitehaven – Tynemouth later in the year and hoping to complete it in a day.

What advice would those of you who have completed the C2C in a day give? At the moment the plan is to ride hard tails with a slick tyre.

Cheers

jekkyl

start as early as you possibly can and take the offroad route out of rookhope coz the road climb if you don’t is a bastard. Otherwise head down, arse out, get on with it. Good luck.

Pieface

What he said, especially Rookhope. Slicks with some side knobs would be handy. I took in all the off road sections bar the old coach road and the Conti Travel contacts coped with it all, TBH slicks would probably be ok.

If you have the choice I’d say carbon forked hardtails to keep the weight down, or even a burly road bike would do it.

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

That climb is Crawleyside Bank isn’t it? One of my favourites, it’s great fun!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Pastie shop in whitehaven, why leave

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Watch out for marras lowpin owa yats

mtbben
    Free Member

Thanks guys, I’m sure one more climb won’t hurt too much, there’s enough of them! Any idea on the total elevation? How long did you las take to complete it?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

no idea the pasties are too good

mtbben
    Free Member

I’ll have to get stocked up the pasties before we leave if they’re that good!

lemonysam
    Free Member

That climb is Crawleyside Bank isn’t it? One of my favourites, it’s great fun!

You’re mixing up Stanhope and Rookhope. I don’t think Rookhope’s too bad. Very steep to start and then eases slowly. It did hit 30 degrees as we went up it on sunday though.

allthegear
    Free Member

Did it in a day from Whitehaven to Sunderland a couple of years ago. Was good fun but we took out time setting off and were quite late going through Consett etc. Was a little unnerving in places…

Just two of us did the whole day but we met a friend in Rookhope who rode the rest with us. Made a big difference to have a fresh pair of legs to keep the pace up.

It’s a long way with some big downhills. I actually managed to wear out my front (rim) brake pads and had to get new ones brought to me in Rookhope.

Rachel

Harris
    Free Member

Watch out for marras lowpin owa yats

. In this parish they’re known as ‘jam eaters’.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘C2C Whitehaven – Tynemouth’ is closed to new replies.